Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,146 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,775 reviews
on April 20, 2016
I surprisingly like this film. After the bad blood of Spider-Man 3, I wondered if a new Spider-Man was a good idea, especially after the POV teaser. However seeing the Lizard in the film and George Stacy being brought in, I was luke warm to it. Then I saw it and while I don't love it by any means, This was a great new take on the story and in some ways is more true than the original ones I grew up with. If you combine aspects of this film with some of the dynamics of the Sam Raimi classic, you'd get a good film.
on May 16, 2014
I don't know how much of the audience will rent or buy this knowing that it was a new adaption meant to be more accurate and respectful towards the comics. For me the first three Spiderman movies were a parody of a superhero movie. I never believed in the characters or engaged in the storyline.

Then this one came out. What a difference! They actually introduce the characters and give them backgrounds so you can relate and be emotionally connected to them. The storyline was decent enough and I love the mix of drama and comedy, but still not being too silly as the previous ones were.

The reason why I didn't rate it 5 stars was because the actor that plays Peter Parker.... There are times that I don't believe he is Peter Parker. I know it's picky, but there should never be a time in a movie where you think you're watching a movie. I like to be fully engaged and believe what I'm seeing. Maybe that's just me. Either way, there were a few moments where I didn't picture him being the smart, nerdy character, but he really redeems himself once you watch the emotional scenes. As soon as it comes in, I just get sucked in and come near to tears just to watch them be upset.

Overall, an excellent movie. I would highly recommend to anyone that is a comic book fan and is a superhero fan.
on September 24, 2016
..VERIFIED PURCHASE..

:its the more recent SpiderMan series that time; weve had the blessing of two SpiderMan movie series in a decade.
:the movie begins with SpiderMan at the age of a child. I thought that was a bad way to begin the movie; it was like SpiderMan wasnt the hero that he would be later on; it seems like the movie can have begun better; how is to be determined.
:the cool thing in the SpiderMan movie is a basketball scene.
:the mu-sic score in the SpiderMan movie is fairly good.
on March 1, 2016
I personally like this movie quite a bit. In my opinion I believe that Andrew Garfield makes a great Spider-Man but I think Toby Macguire makes a great Peter Parker if you could get Garfield in the suit and Macguire in packers life it could be the best Spider-Man movie of all time! This movie is fun and produces some of the best Spider-Man moments of the franchise. However I don't find the Peter Parker moments believable and I find myself thinking about parkers portrayal in the comics which to me doesn't even come close to Garfields version. I do like this movie and I do watch it from time to
Time but it's definitely for the Spider-Man moments!
on August 13, 2014
This was a movie that stayed closer but not exactly on the original story. There is much more here to the telling of the Spider saga then in the previous movies. They remain in many cases very close to the original storyline in the comics. There are many differences that I won't get into, as I don't want to give away any spoilers for fans who have not read the books or seen the movies. I prefer the original story to remain the original story. However, this was a solid entry into the Spiderman saga. Andrew Garfield was a good Spiderman. I won't play the whose better game, because I think that is unfair to both actors. I do believe that a movie with perhaps an alternate universe where Spiderman meets Spiderman with both Andrew Garfield and Toby McGuire playing the parts would be a very cool movie. But, that is not for me to decide, and I am certain others have thought of it already. If you like Spiderman, you won't be disappointed with this entry. Martin Sheene plays Uncle Ben, and Sally Field plays Aunt May. How can they lose with a combination like that?

Ralph.
on November 28, 2012
Ugh, this is such a hard movie to review.

While I was watching this on a theater, I was loving it. I was cheering and laughing, I was excited and inmersed. But, after I left the theater, I felt empty. I felt as if the movie didn't make an impact on me. I didn't think it was a bad film, it just wasn't a memorable one.

I really liked Raimi's films, even the third one (which I feel is unjustly treated), and, for better or worse, those movies were memorable. There are scenes in them I always keep on my mind, and on my heart. Sure, they were purposely cheesy, sometimes unnervingly, but they were lovable and entertaining and they felt true to the characters. I was mad at them ending for a reboot made for the wrong reasons, but after a while I kept an open mind and accepted it.

Now, let's talk about this film. The actors are, for the most part, well chosen. The obvious issue comes from Garfield. He's a great actor, yes, but in some scenes you can really tell he's three decades old, which sort of kills the mood. Emma Stone is as good and adorable as always as Gwen. Martin Sheen plays the perfect uncle Ben. He doesn't say "With great power comes great responsibility", but then again, neither did he in the original comic. Rhys Ifans makes an OK Dr. Connors, but the script has problems he can't solve. Sally Fields is wasted as Aunt May, she's almost an afterthought, since you barely see her. Denis Leary as Captain Stacy is one of the highlights, as he has good character motives and he's quite the badass.

The costume designs are hit and miss. I'm not a fan of Spidey's costume for the same reason I wasn't a fan of the costume in Raimi's films: it's too pretty. It's supposed to be handmade by a teenager, it shouldn't look that great. But I suppose that's a matter of personal preference. I'm not a fan of the silver lines either. Alex Ross makes a fantastic rendition of the homemade costume in Marvels, and it makes Spidey look more heroic. Anyway, The Lizard... well, that's a problem. I understand the choice of not giving him a muzzle, as it goes well with his first appereance in the comics, but the eyes... they're too human. I understand what they were going for, but there's no reason to humanize a monster that regularly turns back into a human. That being said, the skin and its wrinkles are wonderfully designed.

The special effects are great. They're quite better than in the original trilogy, and while you can easily tell the Lizard is CGI, most of the time the CGI Spidey is unnoticeable from the real one, and the same goes for CGI objects. I didn't care for the 3D in theaters and I didn't purchase the 3D Blu Ray, so I don't know how it looks on the disc, but I don't think it will look any better. Not that I think it would improve the movie at all.

The script is the real foe here. The movie is too obvious, as if the writers thought the audience would be too stupid. There's also the token guy who tries too hard to be hated by the audience, the lack of a good introduction for Spidey, the characters being too dumb to realize the obvious truth about the others, the lack of responsibility from Spidey's part (even though that's supposed to be his main theme), the fact that they take absolutely no advantage of the mechanical web-shooters (seriously, infinite webbing), the fact that Dr. Connors' family is nowhere to be seen (despite that being a very important part of his character) and he behaves too much like the Green Goblin, and all that about "The untold story" remaining untold throughout the entire film. And then there's the scene with the cranes... That is wrong for so many reasons.

That being said, this movie does handle a couple of things better. The character of Flash Thompson is very well handled and actually matures. The relationship between Peter and Gwen is great. Spidey actually jokes this time. Weirdly enough, though, the opinions of Gwen and George Stacy about Spidey are inverted from the ones in the comics. That's not a complaint, it's just... weird. And this is probably the best Stan Lee cameo to date.

Why the 4 stars review? As I said before, I don't think it's a bad film. It's entertaining and engaging, it just won't leave a mark on you.

About the Blu Ray: The quality is fantastic, both in video and audio. I haven't seen all the extras yet, but the ones I've watched are quite interesting. There are a bunch of conceptual art and models for Spider-Man and The Lizard. Some deleted scenes, including one in which post-injection Dr. Connors talks to his son Billy (why was this deleted?) and some details about how some scenes were filmed, which will surprise you when they show you how some things you believed to be real were actually CGI.

As an aside, this movie comes with a spanish (latin american) dub audio track, despite the fact that the Amazon page doesn't mention it.
With this being the forth though technically rebooted movie of Spider-Man all I can say is while the actor and actress who play the lead roles were very good overall it wasn't as big as when the first Spider-Man movie came out. While it's good with this one as we get to see the early years of Peter Parker and his teens as well as a somewhat new look at the start of his super hero career it didn't really leave me with the excitement I got with the first Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst,though that's probably with all the slew of the recent Super hero movies that have come out since then as well.The actions and effects are top notch and some of the witty comeback one liners from the new Spider-Man fit with the comic book character too so if you already have the previous Spider-Man movies then this is a must have as well for you to enjoy too.
on December 2, 2012
This is a well crafted movie with a solid plot, interesting technology and likeable characters. I don't entirely understand why they keep re-making superhero movies every year, however, I will say that I like this Spiderman better than the other one and I would watch the next one.

There are just some clichés about super heros that might be impossible to change.

1. They always need some sort of monster to fight in the end because humans are just too weak for them.
2. The cops will be against him at first.
3. There will be a young woman involved that he won't be allowed to be with.
4. And it's a re-boot, so a lot of things are going to be a repeat.

So if you can tolerate the cliches and like super heros this movie is for you.

I liked Gwen (the young lady) and I thought they would work well as a team. She was involved in the plot and was key in preventing a disaster. Then I was frustrated that he couldn't be with her in the end, but there was a hint that he might. I also thought Peter held out too long as far as telling his long suffering mother that he was Spiderman. In fact, he never said it, but she had to come to that conclusion on her own. So at times Peter saw people suffering because he wouldn't tell them the truth and he just wouldn't speak. This was a bit frustrating.

Overall, I liked the characters and felt the strength of the movie was the detail they went into about how Peter became Spiderman.
on July 22, 2016
I could not help but compare this movie with the 2002 "origin" movie which held closer to the Amazing Fantasy 15 story line. Call me old fashioned.
on December 5, 2012
I always enjoyed the first two Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies. The third film had a lot to live up to with great hype, but while it made the money it failed to please a lot of fans (myself included). The way that movie ended it would seem hard to continue an entertaining enough story, and I doubt many would care to see where it. So, probably to hold onto the rights of this money making franchise, Sony Pictures decided to reboot Spider-Man and try again. Not a bad thing in my book.

In a nutshell I liked this new movie more than the last, but I'm unsure if it was better than the original trilogies first two films. I feel there's a lot I liked and equally some things not so much.

Peter Parker seems more like an actual "today's nerd" high school student genius (making webshooters) rather than a thirty-something year old pretending to be young (sorry Toby you'd be more the later years Spidey). I really liked that we get Gwen Stacy (played by the lovely Emma Stone) before MJ in Peters life. I also found using his parents an interesting sub-plot, and something worth exploring. Finally we get to see Doc Connors turn into The Lizard, and maybe that's worth the reboot right there.

Whats not so hot is there's time I felt the story seemed rush or missing scenes--something, I don't know what! The musical score, I did not enjoy like how I do in other superhero films. In fact the score during the fight scene with The Lizard in the high school felt out of place, as if the music was meant for another scene. It took me out of the scene, a theatrical "no no." The Lizard looked more like Killer Croc from Batman than from Spider-Man. Not entirely a bad design, but too human perhaps in the face. Spidey, hang up that cell phone and leave your mask on! Studio's need to get a grip with superheroes and masks already. I actually think its the biggest downer of this film. Leave. Your. Mask. On!!! The CG that Sony studios use is kind of cartoon-ish compared to other films which use heavy CG in my book.

I could probably go on with likes and dislikes, but its important to remember that overall I enjoyed it enough to buy the BD and curious what lies ahead in the sequels.

Visually the blu-ray looks pretty stunning. I can't comment on the 3D quality since I missed out on the last sale of the combo that included it, and I guess that's fine by me. Surround sound is equally pleasing. Another film you'll want to play as loud to theater level as you can!