Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 170 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 364 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 9, 2016
I began reading this book like any other, starting on page one, but soon decided to read it by the calendar date...so if today is December 9th, I read the entry for this day as well as the "American History Parade," which are additional items (honorable mentions?) that also happened on this day in American history. The entries range from what I would call serious history (Truman ordering the seizure of the nation's steel mills) to interesting trivia (the invention of items such as the safety pin and Teflon).
Along the way, Bennett and Cribb also treat us to additional information, such as Flag Etiquette, Fifty American Quotes, and a review of amendments to the U.S. Constitution.
Definitely a great addition to anyone's library, and certainly something to share with children and young adults.
on March 13, 2016
I feel so blessed to live in the United States of America! With the blessing of living in this great country comes the responsibility of knowing as much as I can about our country’s founding and guiding principles. A wonderful help on this journey of discovery is The American Patriot’s Almanac: Daily readings on America by William Bennett and John Cribb.

I am now on my second time through this book, and I’m still discovering how much there is to love about the USA. Each day Bennett and Cribb present a snapshot of a notable event in our nation’s history, that makes me so proud of our heritage all over again. There are cool stories about both the well-known and little-known folks who sacrificed and invested to make this country what it is.

At only a page a day, there’s no excuse for American patriots not to read this book through over the course of a year, and re-discover what a privilege it is to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave. We all owe it to our future generations to keep these memories alive, so that no one forgets our amazing heritage.
on April 19, 2016
I am still reading it because it is organized month by month and I have arrived at 19 April, the beginning of the American Revolution. Dr. Bennett and John Cribb have developed a fun approach to historical events, dates, personalities, some of them momentous and others less remarkable, but nonetheless interesting, even intriguing. I don't agree with every emphasis that is stressed but it is always a reasonable assessment and I continue to learn a variety of lesser known events along with reviewing better known information often with its own twists and nuances. Their method of organization reviews what they have chosen to highlight for that particular day in different years. I don't know if the hard copy edition has illustrations but I don't see any on my Kindle Keyboard. I use this book for a daily dose of Americana.
on April 21, 2016
What a marvelous read! Words don't describe how much enjoyment I've derived from Mr. Bennett's book. IF you are a history buff and IF you enjoy reading short, easy to absorb snippets of history--you will adore the book. It is written in a chronological form - with an historical segment for each day of the year. This is followed by a short list of other important historical happenings for that particular day of the year. Fascinating! The writing style is casual in the sense that it makes you feel like he is personally telling you about this event. I'm now interested in going back to study some facts in even more detail. BUT FIRST, to hear the "rest of the story".
on November 30, 2010
I have been reading The American Patriot's Almanac daily since the New Year. Today I finished early due to travel this month and a new intellectual devotional to start on 1 January 2011. I got a lot out of this book so I am not rating it lower. Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "History has to be rewritten because history is the selection of those threads of causes or antecedents that we are interested in." Well, it's pretty clear to me that William Bennett was interested in Ronald Reagan. I am certain I don't have it exactly right, but I counted 31 references to Ronald Reagan on 365 days. When you consider Americans have over 400 years to celebrate, it seems a little odd that nearly 10% of the pages contain some reference to President Reagan. There are 5 full pages, 5 dates, that are 100% dedicated to him. Now I will admit Ronald Reagan has a place in history, but he should not get equal billing with Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, or Theodore Roosevelt. History will be kind that is certain, but there is clear bias on the part of these authors. Consider this example taken from November 18: "Aircraft Carriers are often named for great Americans, such as the Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan." There have been 77 Aircraft carriers in the US Navy. Of the 77, 11 have been named for great Americans. Certainly Lincoln makes the cut if you are going to focus on 11 men among 77 ships, but why not Kennedy, Washington, T Roosevelt, Eisenhower, or Truman? It just seems like a calculus to remind the audience that President Regan has a ship named after him. On balance, this book is still a good way to reflect with your coffee before work every morning.
on January 24, 2017
Each day of the year has a short subject of an American history event generally connected to that date. They range over several centuries from Pilgrims to basketball to circling the moon. Informative, delightful and a good read while having dinner.
on August 11, 2016
This is a fun book with something for every day and some History facts for that day. I will be using this and reading it. I like learning something new in this format.
on February 8, 2017
Great review of American History. Not what scholars think happened and why, but what really happened. THE REAL DEFINITION of history.
on November 22, 2012
This is a great book. I bought it for my 11 yr old, to interest him in US History. Each day of the year is presented with
a new (brief) history lesson. Then they have the "Parade of History" which lists interesting events that happened on that
particular date. Sounds nice ! However, the "Parade of History" section does not fit on the Kindle Keyboard - several words on the right hand side get cut off. Sometimes you can guess what is missing ,but mostly you can't. I called Kindle Support and they said it was a publisher problem. They told me when it gets fixed, I will get an update for my Kindle. I don't know how long these things take. It's been about 3 weeks already.
If I was starting over I would buy the hardcover version, not the Kindle.
Sad, I love my Kindle!
REVIEW OF KINDLE VERSION:

I bought and downloaded this book to my Kindle. It's PERFECT for the Kindle and highlights one of the main reasons I love the Kindle: having all my books at hand so I can turn to them whenever I choose.

This book is a collection of daily articles about true patriots throughout American history. Every day includes a relevant article followed by interesting facts about this day in history. The book is co-authored by William Bennet, author of The BOOK OF VIRTUES (unfortunately not available on the Kindle) and Education Secretary under President Regan, and John Cribb, whom I've unfortunately never heard of and can't find any history of at Amazon or Wikipedia.

True to Bennet's past works, these two authors have compiled a compelling collection of stories--some familiar and some unknown to me--of inspirational American patriots. Bennet's perspective and style bring these stories to life. With just a few "pages" (or a couple dozen Kindle "locations") they give you enough information to make the topics real, relevant, and memorable.

I was lucky enough to have purchased this early in January, so I quickly read through the first two weeks of articles to catch up to the current date. If you purchase this any other time of the year, I recommend adding a bookmark to the page where you first start so you can easily loop around to the beginning after the new year.

I love the fact that I can bring up my Kindle home page and flip to this book for a few minutes a day and then resume whatever else I'm reading. The beauty of the Kindle is that I don't have to leave this Patriot's Almanac someplace I can find it or carry it around with me. It's stored right there on my home page where I can open it up to the location where I left off the day before.

As of today, I've been reading the American Patriot's Almanac for thirty-four days. I was surprised to find extra material at the end of the month of January before the February articles started. I hope this continues throughout the remaining months of the year.

I highly recommend this book to readers of any age. You'll be certain to learn bits of our history that were left out of your decades of history classes. This book is especially relevant at a time like this when our nation needs every last citizen's help to recover our national strength. Regardless of your political viewpoint or party affiliation, you are guaranteed to be inspired by the stories in this collection.