BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Amityville Horror
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on October 14, 2017
This is the supposed true story of the Lutz family. It matter of factly recounts the details of the Lutz's moving in to the Amityville residence and all the supernatural occurrences they encountered over their 28 days there in late 1975, early 1976 as described to author Jay Anson. It's a thrilling read. Some facts may be misconstrued. It gives a December 25th full moon for 1975, but the full moon was actually a week earlier. The book is chilling and a great read running at around 315 pages in this paperback edition. The original was published in 1977. A popular movie was made, as well as a prequel detailing the previous family. You'll learn about their horrific fate in this book as well. Let's just say one family survived, the other did not.
on May 21, 2017
I loved horror, suspense, and anything to do with paranormal concepts. This book was a decent read. I would recommend. Don't expect it to be too scary. It is nicely written.
on March 14, 2014
I read this book when I was a teenager and ordered it because I loaned this book to someone and they never returned
it. Anyway, I believe this story although some think it was just a hoax. George and Kathy Lutz passed a lie detector test and I have seen them in interviews and they really seemed to me as very sincere. There is no way that someone would flee their own home and leave most of their belongings behind like they did without good reason. I would have done the same thing if that living horror happened to me. I have experienced strange phenomenal things in the past and it is
not pleasant whatsoever. No one knows how terrifying it can be unless they have experienced it. This book is also very well written too.
on May 4, 2013
I enjoyed The amityville horror very much. It's really interesting to see how the family dealt with the phenomenon. Although to those who haven't research this case at all, you should know that despite the fact that it says "a true story" on the front, there is A LOT in this book that isn't accurate. Jay Anson took a lot of liberties in the story. Regardless it's still very interesting.
on July 31, 2017
This book kept me up at night. I loved it!!
on August 28, 2017
Excellent !!!
on August 29, 2015
I enjoyed this book even though it is entirely fictional (aside from the Defeo murders, that is the only part of the book based on a true story). The rest of the book is an admitted hoax but is, nevertheless, an interesting read. As is usually the case, the book is much better than the movies. If you are interested in haunted houses or other creepy paranormal fiction, this is worth the few dollars it costs.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2007
I have actually only recently finished this book. I have to say that I stayed up until 3am last Snday morning reading it. I couldn't put it down!

Although, as far as I can remember, this story has been disproven, I still found it a scary read and somewhere in the back of my mind there was a part of me that kept telling me it was real.

In part I put that down to the author, who relates the story in such a way that it is completely believable. His prose style is such that it adds a air of "menace" to the story which leaves the reader wanting to know what happened.

If you've seen the film(s) and think you know the story, think again. the films do not do the story justice and there are more scares in the book that in the films.

If you have an interest in the "goings-on" at 112 Ocean Avenue, then buy this book and read. It may not change your mind, but it's an entertaining read, none the less.
on February 1, 2009
This is a gruesome well written encounter of what actually happened according to the Lutz family. This book is a page turner. I was so scared to turn to the next page knowing this stuff really happened to this family but I couldn't help myself. It just draws you in! I'm so glad they decided to tell their own story on what happened to them in that house. My hat goes off to them on how long they stayed there! If it were me, I would have left after the first week! I had been waiting forever for this book to get re-published and I finally found it on Amazon.com. They never fail to amaze me on the books they keep in stock! This is a great read and the author, Jay Anson wrote the story extremely well. I love to read horror books and I own the entire collection of the Amityville movies. This is a must buy for anyone that likes to be scared when reading any book!
on November 25, 2016
The writing is fast paced. It can jump around all over the place occasionally. But it is the type of read that will keep you glued to every page. If you're looking for a good spook this is a good book to read.