Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 610 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,297 reviews
on August 6, 2016
While beginning this book, I expected it to be like some sort of dystopian plotline, only to receive a story that exceeded my expectations. Patterson, in my opinion, took a similar idea of the common yet enjoyed idea of flying powers and others like it, and twisted it into an idea of burden mixed with benefit. It leaves the reader confused on to how to feel about the idea of Max and the others having the admired and much wanted flying powers, but at the same time having their family stripped away. The plot twists in the book added to the excitement as well. This book also demonstrates the unique idea of mixing in strange feelings between two that once considered each other family. Yes, before you ask, I ship Fax. I recommend this book to those who are in the mood for something unique altogether.
on May 31, 2017
I originally read this book back when I in the summer when was 12 or 13 I'm not sure, but I remember it was in a pile of books on my childhood homes porch. I was bored that day so I went through it. I picked up many books but none of them caught my interest until I saw the a cover with flying kids on them. I read that book within two hours. Unfortunate for me it was the only book in the series that was in the box. And at the time I think two more had already come out. It being summer I had to what two months for school to start before I can read the other books at school. I didn't have a library card from my local library and my dad was to busy working to be able to take me. But I occupied my self by reading other books. Anyway thats my story on how I first came across this book.
on October 29, 2009
I downloaded this on the Kindle because it was free and I had some spare time on my hands. I had no idea of the plot, nor did I know until finishing it and seeing the reference to the website [...] that it was the first of a series of books. I had assumed it being a James Patterson novel that this would be a crime mystery or something of the sort.

You can imagine the first chapter took me by surprise when I realized the book was about a bunch of mutant kids with wings running from wolf-people. I considered just stopping right then but decided to press on. I'm glad I did.

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment introduces the reader to a plucky group of children, aged 6 through 13, who escaped from a research lab where their DNA had been altered so that they were part bird, part human. Blessed (or cursed!) with wings, superhuman strength, and some other unique skills, they were making a life for themselves in an isolated and remote cabin in the country when suddenly they are finally tracked down by the lab (called The School), attacked, and lose the youngest of the flock, Angel (who can read people's minds) back to the scientists and their wolf-people henchmen.

The oldest and the leader of the group, Maximum Ride (she picked the name herself), rallies the group to return to the school and rescue Angel. During their trek back to the place of their nightmares, they each learn a little more about their past and their character.

This is a fun and more than a little silly book. I've never read the Twilight vampire series but I imagine it is similar to this. I bet this is a popular series with teenagers. With Max just entering her teens, I can imagine all sorts of drama emerging as she deals with becoming a woman.

It is a very crisp read and if you are looking for a guilty pleasure, even for adults, I recommend picking it up, especially since it is free on the Kindle. I may even be willing to pay for the sequel, "Schools Out Forever." Hilarious.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon October 8, 2016
I have read every book in the Maximum ride series and now am getting my 12 year old into them. I bought her this one and she loves it. I am enjoying talking about the characters, plot and science of it with her. The writing style and content are good for pre teen to adult, although I will say the last book had some adult themes in it that would keep me from letting her read it. This first book is my favorite of the series. Honestly, I think each one gets a little less realistic (if kids with wings are realistic at all) and there is a lot of repetition as the books progress.
on August 11, 2015
I read this book back in 2007 and fell in love. I originally read "Where the Wind Blows" which "Maximum Ride" first gets it's start.
It seems that "Where the Wind Blows" and it's sequel "The Lake House", were the more adult versions of the story of Max, then rewritten towards a more young adult audience as the actual "Maximum Ride" series. I would highly recommend reading the originals before diving into "Maximum Ride" books, even though they are two completely series and the books do not match up.

I will also add that I received this book in incredible condition. I did order a used copy and there is no sign of this book ever being used. It looks as brand new. I am extremely happy with this purchase!
on March 9, 2014
My daughter read this book first. She started with a library copy, and when the Kindle books went on sale, I bought the entire series. She devoured them and this series is one she can't stop talking about (in addition to Hunger Games and Divergent).

Because she loved it so much, I took my Kindle to the 8th grade reading class where I work. We were struggling to get the kids to read because they were intimidated by the thickness of books, so I was hoping that the books in Kindle format would be less intimidating. One girl started reading Maximum Ride and enjoyed it. But she was struggling to maintain focus, so I bought the Audio Book through Audible.

While I was listening to the beginning to sync up the audio book with where she was in the book, I noticed that there were whole sentences missing from the audio. Not sure why this is, but for a student who is reading the book along while listening to the audio, this might get a little confusing, especially if they have tracking issues.

Otherwise, seems to be a popular book with the teens!
on March 24, 2016
All it took was just this first book and my son was hooked on Maximum Ride Manga books. He now has all 5 volumes by James Patterson and has read and reread them several times. He really likes the story line and I love that he is reading.
on April 28, 2017
Fast-paced adventure story featuring the pack of winged children chronicled in other Patterson books. Very short chapter lengths are mildly annoying, but apparently popular with others. Quick read.
on March 16, 2011
James Patterson, for better or worse, is one of the most prolific and bestselling authors of all time. Such a title doesn't come without its hard knocks. For instance, any rummaging through Amazon reviews will review that while there are those who love Patterson's work, there seem to be many who dislike it with a passion. I'd heard enough negative or mixed things that I'd shied away from Patterson's work (it's not like I didn't have other things to read), but through a free offer on Amazon's Kindle, I had a chance to read through Patterson's The Angel Experiment, the first book in the Maximum Ride series.

Maximum Ride isn't your ordinary fourteen year old girl. First of all, she hangs out with some pretty weird people--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, the Gasman, and Angel--not your typical crew. Even stranger, Max and crew aren't completely human. They have wings. Created by the School in experiments combining human and animal DNA, they are the successes. Well them and the half-wolf/half-humans called Erasers that do the School's dirty work.

Several years ago, Max and her friends escaped from the School with one of the scientists, who they think of as their father. But he's been missing for a while now, and the group has been forced to cope on their own. But the School and the Erasers are closing in on them, with the result being a wild, frenzied chase with several interesting and unexpected twists.

All in all, The Angel Experiment was enjoyable. Nice, mindless beach read, good for entertainment. The writing quality is mediocre at best, but the pace flows well and makes for an easily read, fast-paced story. The book's cliffhanger ending intrigued me, but not enough to where I want to go out and read the next book, at least not if I have to pay for it. For those interested in stories like this, I'd advocate reading Sigmund Brouwer's books Broken Angel and Flight of Shadows.

Patterson's goal appears to be to just merely entertain, which is does well, and obviously it sells. But I think I'll be sticking to authors who give me a bit more meat with my literary feast.
on February 12, 2013
I loved this book (I recently finished the third one in this series) I think it is very origanal. This is the type of book you really can't put down. I dont remember once getting bored. So there are six kids who call themselves "The Flock" they are 98% human and 2% bird, so they have wings and can fly (which I think is really cool). They grew up in a place called the School where evil scientists make experament with DNA. They were some of the "mutants" in the School. But then they escaped from the School, and now Eracers, another DNA experament, half wolf half man people, are trying to caputre them. Angel, one of the flock is captured and sent back to the School, and the rest of the flock, Max, Fang, Nudge, Iggy, and Gazzy have to rescue her. It has some humor, but its pretty funny humor. Lots of people said it didnt have a complete ending, which I think is somewhat true, but it was a good enough ending for me.

Now there were minor things I didn't like. First of all, this book makes science look bad, and science is not bad and is very important. The other thing is the names, I mean Maximum, Fang, and Angel are great names but Nudge Iggy and Gazzy? Really? And Jeb too. I thought Jeb was sort of a wierd name. Nudge's real name is Monique, they could have just stuck with that, where did they get the name Nudge?