Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on May 5, 2014
I have 26 years complete and total abstinence through 12 step recovery. I am an extremely productive member of society. In my drug addiction I was violent, broke the law and hurt everyone around me. This movie was awesome. Many people think recovery doesn't happen or work we need to speak up. This country has a medical model where they are treating opiate addiction with opiates like Suboxone and/or putting people in prison for drug and alcohol related crimes. I have no problem with incarceration however our system makes better criminals out of individuals who really have a drug problem and we need rehabilitation integrated into the prison systems; if that's the direction we're going. Recovery happens and we need more integrated programs everywhere. The youth on the reservations are dying in droves from drug addiction, the prisons are filled with violence and incarceration for long periods as an answer to a disease named addiction. There is no true rehabilitation in many prisons. There are very few services that Addicts who don't have resources can enter. This is a huge problem in some states. I have also been an addiction counselor for 23 years and see the many intricacies of the problem in our society surrounding people getting well or a wellness model. This movie clearly points this out.Thanks for listening.
63 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 17, 2014
I chose this rating because I felt that this movie is not only educational but gives hope to people who are touched by addiction. Whether it be someone who may still be using, family members or the person who is in recovery. There were many times I felt alone in trying to get help for my son who thankfully is now in long-term recovery for 2 years. Finding information and help is not easy and many places do not live up to their promises and time is crucial in seeking help. One does not really have the luxury of a hit and miss or is this place going to work. It is very frustrating and can be the difference between life or death. This movie is also important for people who have a distorted view and who lack understanding and compassion. I watched the movie with my son and it was very motivational, inspirational and emotional. A movie like this was long over due and I applaud Greg Williams, Kristen Johnston and everyone else involved in the movie for their courage and honesty in approaching a topic that for the most part has been misunderstood and shedding new light on it. It has inspired my son and I to do more. Thank You!!
28 people found this helpful
on March 21, 2014
Very thought provoking. It was well done and enjoyable, as well as, full of good information and some interesting old news clips.
18 people found this helpful
on August 27, 2014
As an Anonymous person, I felt that the story was resonant with the truth about good people who lose themselves until they decide to hand over the 'control stick' because staying sober requires a spiritual foundation. I also agree that the stigma of people in Recovery is absolutely cruel. The film pointed out, correctly, that if the Anonymous label was shed, it would enlighten society about the true value of those of us who lost our way for a while. But we are back with the same potential to contribute in a positive way to our society. The contributions often exceed most of those offered by the nonAnonymous.
5 people found this helpful
on March 17, 2018
I am a recovering addict and member of Alanon. I attend 12 step meetings and you know it works. Not without a lot of hard work. After years of recovery I still hit my lows and the recovery community is what picks my back up and keeps me going. So why did I like this movie - it was a movie of sharing, hope and recovery. The political history is important to be aware of. We have along way to go. The opioid crisis in my home - midcoast Maine is out of control. I lost a nephew, and have a son and stepson who are fighting for their lives with opioid addiction. The problems began with all three of them suffering from separate sporting injuries that resulted in the prescription of opioids. This movie stresses the call for activism. Get off your ass and be the change you want to see in this crisis.
on October 12, 2014
I got to this movie via a mental health newsletter. I am so glad that I have watched it tonight. I have always been conflicted
about addiction, wondering whether it was a weakness and failure of will on the part of the person, or a serious illness that needs
treatment and maintenance and support in our families and communities. This movie has gone a very long way in helping me
understand that it is the latter.

Recovery, as explained and depicted in this film, is hope and promise for a better future, one without locking people in jails or dismissing them outright in our communities.

If we can REcover, we can REclaim all the good in ourselves and RE-enter our society as REvitalized humans who want to REmain alive and thriving. No more shame, no more hiding, but rather REaching out to our fellow humans with dignity and gratitude that we can all REcover our wounded selves and thrive.We regain our selfhood and live productive and happy lives.
8 people found this helpful
on March 11, 2018
I’m a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor, and I love to show this movie in group. It does so much to help end the stigma of addiction, as well as emphasize that the tradition of Anonymity doesn’t mean you can’t share your story in public - it just means you can’t share everyone else’s. I also loved the change to “a person in long-term recovery”. My groups do, too.
on November 9, 2015
GREAT insight into raising awareness of addiction! This does NOT delve into addicts using or anything like those rehab shows you may see on TV, I would not have been able to watch it as that type of content is too real and raw for me to watch, this is about awareness, removing the stigma of addiction, giving loads of resources to get in touch with, IT-IS-AMAZING!
2 people found this helpful
on April 25, 2018
This has a horrible, nay despicable message that runs exact counter to the traditional 12 step approach of anonymity. It advocates people in recovery going public with their disease like they are superheros or something. Those in A.A. should remember that it is a program based on attraction not promotion.
on October 23, 2014
A necessary documentary for everyone (including law enforcement, correctional staff, judges and legislators). We are in crisis as the disease of addiction continues to spread through our "youngsters" and the community. Let's open up a forum where these issues are discussed and all of us can get involved in this battle.
7 people found this helpful