Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 131 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 318 reviews
on July 14, 2013
My sheltered, home schooled children (12, 13, & 16) had a sleepover with some of their friends.I meant to buy Disney's "The Aristocats" (a movie about rich cats) to entertain them for the evening.

When I received the movie, I realized that I ordered the wrong one. I looked at the case and apologized to the children for getting them a movie about a dog instead. Reluctantly they went upstairs and watched it.

It was a hit.

I could hear them laughing all the way downstairs. All of their friend gave the movie their resounding approval the next morning. After seeing and hearing their sheer, unbridled elation; I could not wait to watch the movie for myself. Unfortunately (really, fortunately) the movie's message of generosity moved my children to GIVE the movie to one of their poorer friends. I did not get to watch the movie and it still managed to move me to tears.

God bless you, George Carlin.
on November 8, 2013
What can I say? It the dirtiest joke ever told, over and over again. Having it told by so many different comedians is totally unique.
on November 11, 2005
I saw this film at a college theater in Ann Arbor, because I knew it would never come to the area where I live. It is the funniest and filthiest documentary ever made, about the funniest and filthiest joke ever told. One hundred comedians either tell the joke or comment on it or both. It's been an "in-thing" among comedians for years, and now at last it's out there for all to see. If your tolerance for scatalogical, sick, perverted humor is not high, don't even try to see it. It takes a strong stomach to listen to the joke as it becomes ever more depraved, but if you can take it, your sides will ache from laughter before it's over.
on January 23, 2006
This movie is not a joke. It an unpretentious treatise on comedy. And the joke is performed by masters. It's the comedic equivalent of opera...majestic variations on a deceptively simple theme. If that weren't enough, it's a huge step forward for freedom of expression. Now how many movies can you say all of that about?
on January 23, 2006
Filthy vile disgusting incredibly funny examination of free speech. No nudity. No sex. No violence. Just words. Except of course when Billy the Mime does his take on this classic joke. Gilbert pushed the envelope daring to punch holes in the human psyche by being the first to turn tragedy in to comedy. To patch up the holes he unleashes The Aristocrats. Laughter heals. Genius. Smart. Funny. There, I said it.
on January 23, 2006
buy it; rent it; netlix it; watch it. it's a great film. you haven't seen a documentary this funny and this good in a long time. if you are a prude or crude language grosses you out, watch mary poppins.
on January 24, 2006
Sure, this movie didn't have any penguins in it, but it didn't stop it from being the most engaging, thoughtful, funny documentary of 2005. This a movie full of humor and love. If you want to know what cats like George Carlin, Gilbert Gottfried, Andy Dick and Sarah Silverman have in common with the likes of Stan Getz, Sarah Vaughn, Gerry Mulligan and Shelly Manne, you'll get it when you see this movie. And if nothing else, you'll come away from it having the phrase "rusty trombone" in your vocabulary forever.
on September 18, 2008
The subject of this documentary film is one joke with the punch line, "The Aristocrats". This joke is a legendary old joke that allows comedians to improvise almost endlessly on the set up, in which the goal is to compete to see who can invent the most disgusting, filthy, sick, twisted, scatalogical, gross, perverse, nauseating, evil and bizarre tale imaginable. It's been a sort of professional challenge among comedians to see who can go the farthest and break the most taboos, and you'll see a lot of outstanding efforts that more than achieve that goal.

If you can deal with that, then this might be the funniest DVD you'll ever own. Stellar comedians such as Robin Williams, Penn & Teller, Michael Palin, and Drew Carey, a host of great newer comics, and even older ones like David Brenner and Galleger, and many more are featured, and the editing is brilliant. One surprise is that perhaps the most twisted and filthy (and hilarious) versions of "The Aristocrats" presented in the entire film is by Mr. Clean himnself, Bob Sagat.

And on top of being side-splittingly funny, the film is a very interesting insight into how comedians disect and analyse a joke, what makes a joke work, or flop, and other inside glimpse into the art of comedy.

Just a great film.
on February 7, 2007
My husband and I watched "The Aristocrats," he with a faint smile, me howling. That is, until "Billy the Mime" came on, when he began laughing uproariously, and I almost passed out from hysterics.

Up to that point, I was laughing away at pretty much everyone, while he shook his head and announced that this was "white" humor.

"It's not white humor," I replied. "It's Jewish humor. Or even more precisely, Jewish show-biz humor." Which means, once we return to basics, that "The Aristocrats" is the most American of American humor.

"The Aristocrats" is not for everyone, but if it's right for you, it's a howler from beginning to end, as are the out-takes, and even the voice-over extras. Some have noted that "The Aristocrats" is not for those who dislike foul language. Let me be more precise. I dislike foul language for its own sake, employed simply to be coarse and vulgar. I find foul language should be reserved for (a) when a hammer hits your finger (b) when comedians at the top of their game know EXACTLY when to use vulgarity, without a single wasted, gratuitous, Def Comedy Jam "F bomb" dropped.

What is amazing about "The Aristocrats" is how perfect the comedians' pitch is in their retelling of the vulgar joke -- this is a lot of Miles Davis virtuosity and very little Kenny G.

In addition to "Billy the Mime," my other favorites were Sarah Silverman and the guys who tell "the Aristocrats!" joke as Christopher Walken (Kevin Pollack) and Liza Minelli (Mario Cantone).

Taylor Negron was mesmerizing and daring.

Kudos to the ventriloquist, the fire jugglers, the card-trick guy, and Matt and Trey of South Park for finding non-linear new ways to present the joke.

God bless Tom and Dick Smothers, Carrie Fisher, and Drew Carey, for being quietly flawless with the joke and good sports about not taking their clean images too seriously.

That "The Aristocrats" is at times poorly shot only adds to its charm and authenticity. The editing is at times inspired in the interweaving of the performances, and at times less so.

One quibble -- the editors could have killed the interviews with Eddie Izzard, Bily Connolly and Eric Idle, maybe even Chris Rock, and taken Merrill Markoe's entire joke unedited off the DVD extras and into the main DVD -- that's if they DARED!
on January 27, 2006
No question, the funniest movie I've ever seen. I laughed so hard and so much my face hurt, my stomach hurt. This movie hurt me. It's outrageous, it's unique. It makes you laugh, it makes you squirm. I saw it in the theatre twice, now I can't wait for the DVD with all the extra footage to show up.