Industrial Deals Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on February 16, 2015
As I have aged, there were times when I wondered, "Is this normal? Or is something wrong?" You can't get a straight answer from a doctor. If you know enough old people, you can do an informal survey to come to your own conclusion. Or you can read this book. I found the book refreshing, informative, and yes, even reassuring. It talks about How We Age -- what, why, and how the process happens to all of us who live long enough.
But that is only the beginning, as there are excellent chapters about making choices, and for lack of a better description, how to age gracefully and get the most out of life. The latter is discussed with a view toward living an active life, followed by a short period of decline before death. There is so much useful information that, a year after reading this book, I am about to read it again just to refresh my memory. This should be required reading for anyone on the high side of 50, or for anyone who loves someone on the high side of 50.
on April 26, 2010
I first encountered this book as an audio book through my local library. I was so intrigued with parts of it after listening that I purchased a used copy through Amazon. Perhaps it is a little wordy at times, as other reviewers have noted, but you get the sense of man with a great vocabulary, a brilliant mind, and a certain style of writing that shines with a genuine caring for people.

In my opinion, chapter six alone is worth the price of the book. Through a series of letters written to an older widow, the author addresses the topic of depression and aging in a way that is tender, thoughtful and incredibly respectful of this woman's point of view. If you are a person facing the changes associated with aging yourself, or know of a friend or family member who may be having difficulty with some of the issues we will all face sooner or later, I highly recommend this book as a guide in shaping a realistic, yet positive outlook on the aging process.
on November 4, 2014
A nicely written and compassionate book by a doctor in his 70"s, however very heavy on anecdotal stories which I did not find particularly helpful. I was hoping for something a little more specific in terms of how to cope with getting older. Knowing that other people have breezed through it is not particularly helpful, though it can be inspiring.
"The Art of Aging" is the fourth of Dr. Nuland's books that I have read, and for me it is the most powerful and personally valuable. It is one of those books that I sincerely wish had been available to me in my own "middle age", when I would have had the opportunity to apply many more of his wonderful insights not only to myself, but perhaps to my relationship with my own elderly parents, both of whom are now deceased. As it is, I have every intention of sharing this exceptional work with my own daughters, in the hope that they will find it as valuable as I do, at a time when it may give them some meaningful insights at opportune times.
on August 19, 2009
This book made me smarter about what to expect in the coming decades (I'm 67) and wiser about how I might deal with what comes. It is both provoctive...in that I am, weeks later, still thinking about issues the book raised...and supportive. For me, understanding reduces anxiety. Nuland writes accessibly and, by the end of the book, I felt it would be pleasure to have him for a friend as well as a doctor. The friend who recommended the book said,"Oh, you will know most of what is in it." But even though I am married to a physician and have read widely on aging, I did know most of what was in it...and am glad I now do. I recommend this book highly to anyone on the deep end of middle age.
on September 18, 2017
Interesting book but not as good as "How We Die"by the same author.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 26, 2015
A compendium on how to philosophize for those entering the old age. Well written, insightfull narrative of ones experiences. However, I must confess I skipped some of the autobiographic narratives.
on March 14, 2017
excellent read
on September 3, 2011
Like he did in How We Die, Sherwin Nuland brings not only his experience and expertise to The Art of Aging, he brings his wisdom and insight. Nuland's writing style is also extraordinary and some passages are almost like meditations. The one I like best starts on page 9 and ends at the top of page 11. If you are one of us "of a certain age", you owe it to yourself to read this book.
on October 6, 2017
This book is very informative and provides a positive view of aging. The author includes several personal stories as well as stories about some of his patients. This makes it very interesting and an easy read.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse