Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 166 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 185 reviews
on January 9, 2014
So, it kind of pains me to not give this 4 or 5 stars since I adore Frozen. But I really just couldn't go higher than 3.

Alright, so, this isn't going to be a review based on the movie (which was excellent, but I'm sure if you're looking at this book, you're a fan of the film).
This book is more about the environment, backdrops, and color choices as well as commentary from the people who worked on the movie. So if you're really interest in learning about the inspirations behind the film and learning about the castles, interiors of buildings, and Elsa's ice castle, this is a perfect book.

However, I was on the other end of the spectrum. I got this book because I wanted to learn more about the character designs and see concept art for costuming and characters. I also wanted to see pictures of the finished models. Overall....I really was just hoping for more pages on the characters and costume breakdowns. Unfortunately, there's more concept art of characters floating around on the internet than there actually are in the book. For instance, the pencil drawings of Elsa's different expressions. I was greatly disappointed there were only 2 of those drawings in this book. And there wasn't a costume breakdown on Elsa'a ice dress. And there was only a single picture of her coronation gown, which was really sad as I would have liked to see a breakdown of it.

So if you're hoping this book is heavy on character art, it's not. You're a bit better off just pulling images from google.

Okay, despite all that...the concepts behind the environments and buildings are amazing. I really enjoyed looking over the interior designs and hearing about the color choices and being able to see all the little details. So if that's something you're more interested in, this book would be absolutely perfect. And even though I was disappointed at the lack of character related stuff, I still really liked this book. It's beautiful and there's a lot of insight as to what went into the movie. Any Disney fan, Frozen fan, artbook fan, or animation fan will be happy to have this book in their collection.
11 comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2017
I really loved the quality of the illustrations in this book! Because I was a big fan of the movie, I wanted some context and background information as well and the book did so well on explaining the process behind the movie. Although I had ordered NEW, the book that I got had a few tears on the covering around the edges, but the quality of the actual pages was undamaged and very good.
on March 20, 2017
Beautiful art. Worth the price I paid for it.
on December 10, 2013
First off, this book is 160 pgs. I sat it side by side with the Tangled art book and this book is a lot thinner, despite having about the same amount of pages.

The concept art for each character is very...minimum. they have 1-2 pages each which is not a lot in my opinion and I would have liked more. Even Elsa barely got 2 pages. There's a lot of concept for the buildings, patterns and scenery which is very nice as that is why I got the book in the first place.

Overall, its quite a nice book, but I feel like it could have been better?
on March 10, 2017
I love this kind of book. The pictures are amazing.
on July 1, 2014
The book is great, but the paper covering had torn/worn out edges. Still, excellent buy.
on January 6, 2017
It's a GREAT book! Disney World was sold out!!
on December 1, 2013
This book is perfect for any fan of Frozen and for those who appreciate concept art. From cover to cover, everything is gorgeous!
on March 14, 2015
I'm all about sketches and drawings when it comes to these art books and this one simply doesn't have enough of it. Mostly shows design details in clothes architecture. The character pages are more about the costumes with very few drawings. I think the layout for the Art of Tangled showed much more in conceptual art.
on February 14, 2014
This book focuses on environment, design and effects over characters and story. In a way, it reflects the film itself. Frozen's character designs were a bit bland and recycled. The story really on found itself less than a year before production. But it somehow still has heart. It's still a good story and not an overproduced hollow shell of an experience.

While I wish there had been more analog development assets featured (was everything drawn on a tablet by the same three people?), the extensive discussion of how the story was found and the thought put into the colors, outfits, settings and details should make this book appeal to storytellers and designers if less so to character designers and cartoonists. If you're a big picture thinker, there are insights here. If you just want a pile of sketches of your favorite characters, look on tumblr.