Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 120 reviews
on April 21, 2016
Here is an excellent film about understanding the problems of maturity for a typical High School Youth in the 21st Century. Freddie Highmore has the talent for bringing into real-life the High School Student who has the talent, but attempts to get by with as little effort as possible, even a fatalistic teenager. George Zinavoy (Freddie Highmore) has turned his lazy nature into an art with the apparent objective to graduate from High School without completion of any assignment. Then, George meets Sally (Emma Roberts) who is a kindred spirit. Sally is beautiful, emotionally complicated and inexplicable. A Law of Thermodynamics - two negatives become one positive - applied when her kindred spirit upended his lazy nature and world of slackness with end-over-end reaction due to their eccentric and unanticipated romance: Suddenly, he jumped up and decided to pursue his dreams - and prevails. As Freddie Highmore the Actor is near the threshold of young adulthood, this film compliments his talent, and more to come is anticipated in his future on the screen.
on April 14, 2014
Skip to "Review" if you don't want a spoiler...

This movie is about depression and an eventual decision. Live or die.
But the title is near perfect.
Forget what the writers and directors and whoever wanted to do with this. If you know depression then you know that the ending is just the start of a new episode for this poor kid in really acknowledging that he's still just getting by.
I say acknowledging and not discovering *my original word of choice* because the I believed that behind each smirk was a sad awareness that made everyday in the life of this character a charade even to himself. That's the true art in getting by. How to deceive yourself. The girl didn't get it. No one did but the sell out artist that he will either become or likely kill himself before becoming.

This was all said very "definitively" but that's just how I write sometimes. You could call this more of an emotional analysis. Not a review.

Review: It was alright. It made me smirk and distracted me. I didn't feel like it was a waste of my time. That's a 4 out of 5 for me. only because I never round up unless I have to.
on October 28, 2016
Maybe the most underrated movie of the decade by Rotten Tomatoes! Excellent casting and soundtrack supporting a quirky and moving coming of age story. I compare it favorably to Rocket Science, Wallflower, Earl Me and the Dying Girl and even the oldie Harold and Maude. The main character ends up positively transforming himself and evolving in each of these. If this genre doesn't interest you then don't bother with this film. Otherwise check this out and you won't be disappointed!
on March 12, 2013
For some reason i had put off watching this film, that was a mistake on my part. This is a great little film beacuse of the fine cast, but especially Freddie Highmore.
This will certainly put to rest any worries that Freddie will have any problems going from child star to young adult, or adult roles.He keeps you riveted to his very quirky,mysterious, stubborn , but very likable character thru the entire film,never disappointing the viewer.
Emma Roberts is the perfect casting choice as his girlfriend. She certainly holds her own in the film and at the same time lets Freddie work his magic on you. Should bring them both even more fans...
on July 1, 2012
FREDDIE HIGHMORE: Cute, smiling, innocent, vulnerable, tender, teary.

Right?

Not in this film.

Highmore's performance is low key, temperamental, uncertain, moody, caught between earlier adolescence and later adolescence.

There are no overwhelming tragedies; no heroic moments; no great villains; no gut wrenching catharsis.

In other words the film feels real.
The school is real.
New York is real.
The young people are real.

I taught school for many years and I knew these kids, or ones like them anyway.

The script had the feel of a real New York, featuring a slightly upper crust family with a loner kid who has talent but no motivation to use it or develop it. It is the true love from an unexpected girl, a slightly older fellow artist, his mother, and his teachers that encourages him to make a choice between the road that leads to adulthood or the diversion of unending adolescence.

The film is far too plain to attract much gratuitous excitement, but for those interested in how real people subtly develop the movie is a winner.
on June 25, 2013
While I enjoyed the movie and found it entertaining, I was surprised it received accolades at Sundance ("Sundance favorite"). But maybe I'm missing something. I had high expectations because I do think the two lead actors have tremendous talent and potential, and did a great job. However, the introduction to the characters seemed a bit inconsistently handled. At times there were efforts to develop the characters and then things seemed to happen with and between the characters that didn't have a solid footing, requiring a bit of a leap of faith in sticking with the story. There have been other coming-of-age movies that I have enjoyed even though they are all about teens, this one a bit less so. However, my teenage daughter loved it.
on May 29, 2017
Freddie Highmore is phenomenal in this strange, yet relatable role. It's heartfelt, but it feels more real than other movies. It's not over-the-top mushy or tragic and depressing. Great movie to watch late at night while you're awake thinking way too much about life already.
on January 5, 2014
We thought this was a very good movie. It seems like it was written for our family. If you are a teacher, this will possibly give you some insight of what these kids and parents go through when their kids go through mental challenges and behaviors. If you are a parent, you will see that you are not the only ones with these issues and will somewhat comfort you in light of your own situation at home.
I hope you enjoy it and get something good out of it like we did.
Families involved with or attending the free classes with NAMI, as in NAMI Basics, Family to Family and more, will also shed a little light on similar behaviors in their kids.
on August 29, 2017
great
on January 3, 2013
This is one of the best films I have had the pleasure to watch. The depth and thought put into this movie truly gives you a new view on how many people see and feel about their life. I am a pessimistic person and this movie truly showed how I was at that age. I have been able to be better motivate but this movie truly inspired me to be better not just for anyone or any reason other than for myself. Freedie Highmore is one of my most favored actors and now this film has put him even higher in my opinion. For such a young actor to be able to play this part so well and to a fault is amazing! A truly great movie and a must see performance!