Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 29, 2017
I have and read many books on vipassana, and I believe this book has done more to advance my practice than any other I've read to date.

It, along with other materials I've encountered on the subject, has also helped me to understand the place of S.N. Goenka's teachings, and that where those teachings are is pretty much right where I want to be. Master Goenka didn't regard or convey the Buddha's teaching as a religion - just as the Buddha himself did not - but rather as the straightforward (though not always simple) system of applied psychology that it is. Goenkaji's approach honors the original teaching of the Buddha in its purest form without veering off into the murky waters of religious mysticism and misinterpretation that so many others seem to find it so difficult to avoid.

One of my favorite similes of his is that of the man who crosses the river to explore the far bank, then returns to this bank to tell the people of the wonders he found there. Goenkaji goes on to say that those who then sit down on this shore, and with clasped hands, moist eyes, and choking voice, cry out, "Oh other bank! Oh other bank, please come here to me! I so long to see you!" - such people will never reach the other bank. One must *apply* oneself; one must do the work; one must make the effort to travel to the far bank themselves; only then can one expect to see the result.

This is just what the Buddha taught.
on April 27, 2017
Reading this book i already felt the extra air and space awaiting me and granting me degrees of freedom and bliss. The book not only speaks in clichees and general slogans. It goes into everyday examples and raises the questions we are usually ashamed to ask. And, of course, answers them.
on September 15, 2017
Very attractive and persuasive narrative, but it doesn't tackle any of the severe criticism launched against the actual practice of the 10-day process, easily accessed on the web. Difficult to assess the practice as a result. Take your chances.
on August 21, 2017
This is a great beginner's introduction to Vipassana meditation. Goenke presents a straightforward traditional form of Buddhism that may seem somewhat strict and by the book, but the essential points are right on. As a practitioner of Vipassana, I appreciated this read.
on September 24, 2014
Been practicing Vipassana since 2005 and i read this a long time ago and had bought it for someone. The book is okay to wet your curiosity about vipassana, but after that, you really need to attend a 10-day course to understand it's potential at all. The courses are donation based, so no need feel obligated to pay more than you can afford. Spend 10 days studying your mind and body, in what better way can you spend 10 days of your life??
on December 4, 2015
Great Insightful Book. I more than halfway through it and I am enjoying every bit of it. It has changed my outlook on the world & life in general. I am a more relaxed person than I was before. I'm still a work in progress but no one is perfect and that's exactly what this book points out.
on March 22, 2017
A great introduction to the practice of Vipassana Meditation, Dharma and living a liberated life. Good insights on how to live and evolve your meditation practice.
on August 9, 2016
If you're considering taking the 10 day course, first yes you should and this is a good introduction. After the course it is a good review and a deep I g of the knowledge!
on October 12, 2012
Okay.. Vipassana has been around for 3000 years, this book, not quite that long. A direct.. no hand waving guide to sitting. It takes a long time, you will often wonder if you are wasting your time. You are most definitely not. It will change who you are for the better. I would suggest a few sources, but this is strongly recommended. Mostly, just practice, practice, practice. Without a doubt Vipassana did save my life though a difficult stretch long ago.. this book was one of the things that got me there. Metta!
on August 11, 2016
The book outlines the steps a meditator undertaking vipassana is likely to experience. As such it provides insight into the process itself. Well written, encouraging and succinct it nevertheless as with all books on the subject cannot replace the individual practice one must undertake.