Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Vant PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 106 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 148 reviews
on March 21, 2017
I bought the audio and have listened many times. Then I bought the book so I can highlight it. It has helped me understand why we should meditate, why we suffer and the cause of suffering. The lessons were easy to understand, very interesting and the reader has a good voice. Some audio books can become boring, my mind wanders and I never finish them. I highly recommended this book.
on December 19, 2016
I am glad I selected this book, pure and simple. I got a great deal from the material, and I especially appreciated the questions and answers at the end of each section. The book explains the purpose of this form of meditation in a way that is simultaneously "no-nonsense" and deeply compassionate.
on March 9, 2017
Okay book, interesting read I suppose (I like how it is broken down into the 10 days). But I'm not a fan of the method and his rambling. The short stories with each chapter are much more enjoyable than his teaching.

Would not give or recommend to a friend, many better books out there in my opinion.
on April 27, 2017
Reading this book i already felt the extra air and space awaiting me and granting me degrees of freedom and bliss. The book not only speaks in clichees and general slogans. It goes into everyday examples and raises the questions we are usually ashamed to ask. And, of course, answers them.
on September 15, 2017
Very attractive and persuasive narrative, but it doesn't tackle any of the severe criticism launched against the actual practice of the 10-day process, easily accessed on the web. Difficult to assess the practice as a result. Take your chances.
on January 13, 2014
This book will open your eyes to true happiness! It briefly teaches about Vipassana Meditation and it's benefits. Although it's helpful, it's really only a glimpse of what you need to do. It will get the stone rolling. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Especially if you're in a dark place, it will help you greatly.
on August 9, 2010
News of this slim volume was delivered to me by one of my closest friends who also happens to teach Buddhism. Since we exchange books and information, and it always seems to come from my direction, his recommendation of this book was something to be taken seriously. He was so absorbed in its contents and direction that he undertook the 10-day Vipassana Meditation retreat that students of S.N. Goenka offer. While he was on his retreat, I read the book and was immediately taken by its clear, practical approach to what is considered Buddha's original prescription for meditation and ultimately reaching nirvana. Upon my friend's return (he hadn't changed all that much) and his relaying to me the details of the place and course, I resolved to take the Vipassana training myself. I applied and was accepted. Needless to say, those closest to you will not look on this adventure with the same enthusiasm as you. It really reflects Buddha's Second Noble Truth: that ignorance causes suffering. So I recommend that all involved immerse themselves in the great goal and opportunity for self-growth that Vipassana offers. This book and the practice will change your life (and those around you) for the better.
review image
on August 21, 2017
This is a great beginner's introduction to Vipassana meditation. Goenke presents a straightforward traditional form of Buddhism that may seem somewhat strict and by the book, but the essential points are right on. As a practitioner of Vipassana, I appreciated this read.
on September 24, 2014
Been practicing Vipassana since 2005 and i read this a long time ago and had bought it for someone. The book is okay to wet your curiosity about vipassana, but after that, you really need to attend a 10-day course to understand it's potential at all. The courses are donation based, so no need feel obligated to pay more than you can afford. Spend 10 days studying your mind and body, in what better way can you spend 10 days of your life??
on December 4, 2015
Great Insightful Book. I more than halfway through it and I am enjoying every bit of it. It has changed my outlook on the world & life in general. I am a more relaxed person than I was before. I'm still a work in progress but no one is perfect and that's exactly what this book points out.