Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 101 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 141 reviews
on April 24, 2017
This is only for readers seriously interested in Vipassana. If you are, this ebook is like a present from Heaven.
It is non-sectarian. Though it is most likely that Buddhists will be intetested. The reading is easy to understand if you are already familiar with Buddhism and meditation. I am experiencing immediate relief of a lot of conflict and stress just from a couple if hours of study do far. If you are getting tired of sectarianism, comlicated formulas abd trying to believe things that make you feel sick (any religion) , you might want to check this out.
on January 24, 2016
I have read/listened to many books about Buddhism; however, I found this book to have the most straightforward and practical explanation of the theory, having a small amount of nonessential content. Although I had been practicing for years before finding this book, looking back now, this book marked a tipping point in my practice when theory shifted into direct-experience. The book has become one of my favorites, I have re-listened to it many times and gifted it to those curious about the practice. If you are interested in the Buddha's path, I sincerely encourage you to read or listen to this book and hope it helps you on your path to becoming a Buddha.
on March 21, 2017
I bought the audio and have listened many times. Then I bought the book so I can highlight it. It has helped me understand why we should meditate, why we suffer and the cause of suffering. The lessons were easy to understand, very interesting and the reader has a good voice. Some audio books can become boring, my mind wanders and I never finish them. I highly recommended this book.
on December 19, 2016
I am glad I selected this book, pure and simple. I got a great deal from the material, and I especially appreciated the questions and answers at the end of each section. The book explains the purpose of this form of meditation in a way that is simultaneously "no-nonsense" and deeply compassionate.
on March 9, 2017
Okay book, interesting read I suppose (I like how it is broken down into the 10 days). But I'm not a fan of the method and his rambling. The short stories with each chapter are much more enjoyable than his teaching.

Would not give or recommend to a friend, many better books out there in my opinion.
on January 12, 2014
I utilize Vipassana as one of my primary spiritual practices, having sat and served a number of courses in Southern California. I do not do an hour in the morning and evening as recommended, but it has become very nicely integrated in my spiritual practice as well as my public life. I provide this level of detail to make it clear that I very much appreciate the Vipassana system as taught by SN Goenka, but I am far from one of the Vipassana sycophants who adhere to nothing but Vipassana.

While serving a course in December 2013, I came across this book in the library. It's shorter than most books in this category, and I have seldom gotten much of value reading about meditation, so I did not have very high expectations. The author does a very good job of composing a summary of Vipassana while staying very close to Goenka's method and style. I would not have been surprised if the book had been penned by Goenka himself, the author did that good of a job.

I would suspect this would be a great book for someone new to the Vipassana system. But the value for a regular practitioner is having a concise book that accurately describes a system that is somewhat mysterious to the outside world. Now we have something to hand to our bosses or our spouses or our best friends that can intelligently explain why we are drawn to this form of personal growth and discovery. Therefore, I would recommend this book to newbies and hard core sitters alike.
on April 27, 2017
Reading this book i already felt the extra air and space awaiting me and granting me degrees of freedom and bliss. The book not only speaks in clichees and general slogans. It goes into everyday examples and raises the questions we are usually ashamed to ask. And, of course, answers them.
on January 13, 2014
This book will open your eyes to true happiness! It briefly teaches about Vipassana Meditation and it's benefits. Although it's helpful, it's really only a glimpse of what you need to do. It will get the stone rolling. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Especially if you're in a dark place, it will help you greatly.
on August 9, 2010
News of this slim volume was delivered to me by one of my closest friends who also happens to teach Buddhism. Since we exchange books and information, and it always seems to come from my direction, his recommendation of this book was something to be taken seriously. He was so absorbed in its contents and direction that he undertook the 10-day Vipassana Meditation retreat that students of S.N. Goenka offer. While he was on his retreat, I read the book and was immediately taken by its clear, practical approach to what is considered Buddha's original prescription for meditation and ultimately reaching nirvana. Upon my friend's return (he hadn't changed all that much) and his relaying to me the details of the place and course, I resolved to take the Vipassana training myself. I applied and was accepted. Needless to say, those closest to you will not look on this adventure with the same enthusiasm as you. It really reflects Buddha's Second Noble Truth: that ignorance causes suffering. So I recommend that all involved immerse themselves in the great goal and opportunity for self-growth that Vipassana offers. This book and the practice will change your life (and those around you) for the better.
review image
on September 24, 2014
Been practicing Vipassana since 2005 and i read this a long time ago and had bought it for someone. The book is okay to wet your curiosity about vipassana, but after that, you really need to attend a 10-day course to understand it's potential at all. The courses are donation based, so no need feel obligated to pay more than you can afford. Spend 10 days studying your mind and body, in what better way can you spend 10 days of your life??