Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

The Art of Rise of the Guardians
Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 4, 2017
This is a beautifully made "art of" book, and it was clearly made with love for the film, as well as love for the reader. Every single page offers some kind of treat to viewer, it is filled to the brim with art! You truly feel as if you are getting a behind the scenes look into the film and into the design process. It is both a source of inspiration and study. There are beautiful splash pages, as well as pencil sketches, storyboard drawings, finished paintings, and so much more. Still my favorite "art of" book to date.
on November 24, 2012
Personally, I am very picky about art books. I prefer a balance of both early sketches, paintings, character tds, and digital manips which this art book succeeded on all fronts. It's filled with beautiful, unique designs making it surpass both the Tangled and the How to Train Your Dragon I own (which were originally my personal favorites out of my collection).
Each of the main characters are shown in intense detail along with each of the "worlds" they are located in.
You'll definitely be blown away and I would give it a must have for art book collectors and concept art appreciators.
18 helpful votes
19 helpful votes
on January 8, 2013
It took a while to receive since it was back-ordered but it was worth the wait. The artwork is breathtaking. My daughter purchased it with her birthday money and spent about an hour slowly paging through the hard bound book. You are able to see the character ideas from beginning to end. The book lays it out from storyboard to final design. I told my daughter to take good care of it. You cannot beat the online price. In store it is $40+. I would say this book is well worth the higher price.
3 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
When I first saw the cover, I found it puzzling that an animated movie artbook would have a cover with this much white space. Covers for such books are usually filled with strong colours.

Featured in this 156-page hardcover are gorgeous concept art for the DreamWorks animated film. Rise of the Guardians is based on the children book series The Guardians of Childhood, written by William Joyce, who's also the film's executive producer.

Just printed behind the covers are huge detailed 3D portraits of the six main characters. They are North, Bunny, Tooth, Sandy, Jack Frost and Pitch. The art revolve around them.

Animated films with mythical characters are pretty common but it's always fun to see different interpretation. The character designs are wonderful. All the six are given a slight twist. North, aka Santa Claus, wields two swords and looks more like a warrior. And Bunny looks quite cool with the serious demeanor. My favourites are probably the designs for Sandy and Tooth. There's also much to read with the lengthy commentary on the characters.

Beside character art, there are many beautiful paintings of the magical worlds they live in. Some of the ones I like are from Max Boas, Tim Lamb, Jayee Borcar, Peter Maynez, Felix Yoon, Patrick Hanenberger and Woonyoung Jung. They create much of the environment art of which many are printed big and nice.

Overall, the artbook packs plenty of things to see and read. It's fantastic and highly recommended.

It seems there are two publishers for this book, Titan Books and Insight Editions. Prices for the books might differ depending on where the books are sold.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
80 helpful votes
81 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on June 29, 2017
My daughter is an artist and she loves mangas
on July 9, 2013
This book is filled to the brim with a lot of beautiful work. The different designs are simply breath taking, and the different details and descriptions are awe inspiring. While I would have liked that it if there had been a bit more on the storyboard process, for such things such as the previous ideas for the movie, the other concepts make up for it. I couldn't put it down once I began reading through it, and I had to pause again and again because I couldn't stop taking in all the beautiful details of the character designs and the locations.

It's definitely worth every single penny.
on January 3, 2013
I was lucky to think ahead and purchase this art book before the film was released. I'm really glad I did, because the visuals are amazing! The bits of backstory on the characters and their environments make for a fascinating read. Being able to see the artwork of the artists who worked so hard to put this film together is a real treat, and an inspiration for any aspiring artist.

A great purchase, and a must-have for the library of any RoTG fan.
3 helpful votes
on April 17, 2013
This is one of those artbooks where you just feel how much work went into it. The art is stunning and it's great to see the characters in such a variety of styles. On top of that, the notes and history of each character is an interesting read. I also love how the book doesn't just go into the guardians, it also touches on Pitch and the children (Jamie and his friends). There's even a section that goes through Jamie's home town. Besides owning the novels, I'd recommend owning this too.
on April 29, 2015
I bought this as a gift for a friend, and was very impressed when I took a peek before giving it away. I loved the artwork in the movie, but this book is almost a work of art in itself. Delivery was fast and the book was in mint condition when I received it.
on May 11, 2013
Art...pure art is what this book is all about! Inspiring images of the different characters reflect expertise in crafting the colors and textures that enhance the design of the subject. The Sandman -- one of the most favorite -- undergoes great study turning him from ancient to lovable! Get this book if you love the animation of the movie. Dreamworks is really about great dreams in art too!