Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 8, 2015
I just lost 20 pounds in four months doing a KETO based diet. JUST read this book...so helpful. I'm a low carb/primal/paleo (can we invent anymore labels nowadays? LOL!) I have not eaten grains, beans, much fruit for 6 years. No longer have any chronic respiratory problems BUT I never lost weight ..maintained - kinda but never lost. I was eating too much protein - who knew? I started to research lower calories and learned about adjusting my macros and keeping a food log on FitDay.com (oh yeah I caved and started logging my daily foods) and lost the weight fast. Some weeks I gained a pound but the next week I lost two...what they say in this book about water weight fluctuation is true. I only weigh once a week. NOW I am learning to maintain...I exercise moderately which means my new macro calculations are about 3-400 more calories a day. Bummer Man...now I have to eat more Kerry Gold butter and organic coconut oil while keeping my protein and carbs the same...oh well LOL!

Don't listen to the naysayers! Oh, the only reason I gave this four not five stars is because canola oil is mentioned as part of the good oils...no no no - new research says that Canola oil (or rape seed oil as it is called) is rancid stuff and coconut oil is hardly mentioned at all and should be. I make coffee every morning with a tab of butter and a tab of coconut oil and blend with my "Smart Stick" - a little cinnamon, a couple of tabs of chia seeds - amazing treat. The book was published in 2010 so it makes sense that the current research on oils is not included. Other than that - wonderful...another low carb bible to add to my library. Love low carb/keto living...thanks for well researched information gentlemen.
0Comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2011
There are so very many in depth and all inclusive reviews I see no reason to parrot what they have all said, but I'll say that I agree enthusiastically. Jimmy Moore's review in particular is a gem!

As a person who is fascinated with this subject and who eagerly devoured both of Gary Taubes' books, this one offers yet a deeper and more clinical examination of the science of low carbohydrate eating from two doctors who have been immersed in this field for 30 years. This is most definitely NOT a book for the casual reader interested in following a low carb diet. Rather, this is a book that will be understood and appreciated by someone who has a great deal of personal interest in learning more about this subject and who enjoys the deeply scientific explanations and discussion, and additionally, a person who has already done a fair bit of reading on this subject. This book is most definitely targeted at someone with a scientific and medical background, specifically doctors, and there are things that I had to read a few times to fully comprehend and absorb, but if you have the inclination and interest, this is a very rewarding and enlightening discussion that is quite unique in the current low carb literature. One would be hard pressed to deny the absolutely overwhelming and glaring evidence arguing for low carb diets when the vast body of proof is presented as compellingly and clearly is it is here. Low carb's undeniable superiority as a way of eating is nothing short of amazing to read about in all its historic and fascinating glory. My own personal observation and experience (also success) with eating low carb left me with vaguely formed ideas and I was self-identified as perhaps a "carb sensitive" person, and yet I couldn't put it all together in terms of how it ultimately affected me until I read this book, which discusses this subject at great length. Carb sensitivity is apparently a matter of degree within each individual, and I now understand the hows and whys of its effects on me as related to my own independent observations over the years. It's now clear why a low carb diet works so superbly and easily for me (when nothing else works) and why it has so vastly improved my health in myriad ways.

Another important discussion was that of individual variability, which explains why not every diet works for everyone equally, why some don't gain weight on a high carb diet and why some can lose weight equally well on various types of diets. One shoe obviously does not fit all, and for some, only one shoe fits!

Despite my own success with weight loss and good health eating low carb, I still had this nagging worry about fats in particular, especially in light of the deafening chorus of low carb detractors out there who railed endlessly about the dangers of fat. My insecurity about this aspect of low carb eating has now been entirely put to rest because of how fully the authors explain the body's use of fat in all its aspects. This alone make this book a valuable asset.

As it was when I was reading the two Taubes books, I continue to be dismayed and disgusted by the narrow mindedness and yes, dishonesty of the general scientific/nutrition community. The word "sheeple" comes to mind, but it's even more than that. It's about politics, money, influence peddling as well. It is nothing short of amazing how so many of us lay folks out in the trenches can quite clearly see all the evidence for what it is and relate it to our own experiences, and as a result we draw such a different conclusion from the so-called "experts" with regard to the merits of low carb eating. Many, maybe even most of the diet gurus continue to march down that same old highway chanting their tired mantra of low fat/high carb/grains are great, all while totally ignoring or at least remaining oblivious to decades of increasing obesity rates that are the result of their recommendations. Do they never connect any dots or examine the evidence? In the popular media, it is a continual frustration to hear them continue to hawk diets full of the very foods that keep their patients overweight, increasingly diabetic and unhealthy. Virtually everything I come across that is not written within the low carb framework is jam packed with misinformation and downright untruths, proclaiming as desirable, healthy and effective the very approaches and strategies that were long ago shown to be just the opposite. Old habits and beliefs die hard, apparently.

So if you have already done a fair bit of reading on this subject and thirst for a deeper, more thorough knowledge and understanding of the history and actual body mechanics of low carb nutrition, then this is definitely a book you will want to read and enjoy. In addition, it provides you with a huge new database of ammunition with which to make your own case and defense of low carb nutrition! Overall a very fascinating, enlightening, comprehensive and well presented discussion that delves deeper than anything I have yet to come across in this field. Despite the rather high cost of this book, it is well worth owning.
88 comments| 597 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2016
This is a smartly written book that contains A LOT of good information. I found it to be one of the most thorough in terms of the science and the physiological why's and how's of low carbohydrate eating. I am in the medical field and speak a lot of the science/medical lingo in this book. It's solid, complete and can be a little cumbersome for the casual late night read. I took it a chapter at a time and on several of them, read it twice just to let it all sink in. It reads sometimes like a nutritional textbook. If you are looking for a more casual overview and a step by step how-to in low carbohydrate eating this may not be what you are looking for. I would recommend this book, however, if you want a thorough, scientifically solid explanation of the benefits and processes of low carbohydrate eating. I also appreciated that the authors have additional side bars that allow the reader to really delve into the biochemistry or skip it and move on while still keeping pace with the book. Lots of useful resources listed in the references for further study as well.
on January 31, 2017
This is a very comprehensive book, and as the two authors state....it's really geared more towards health professionals. Gives a lot of insight and detail. Almost reads like a text book in some ways. bit great information. I was referred to this book by The Amen Clinic.
on November 25, 2016
As a former college athlete that is struggling to lose playing weight, I was looking for real information as to why this way of eating would work. I studied biology in my undergrad, so naturally I enjoyed the detail and explanation of the response our bodies have to this way of life. I am currently getting through the adaptation phase and can now use this book as a reference. A must read if you are truly considering a low carb lifestyle.
on March 3, 2016
This is a great book for those who want to know some of the science behind low carbohydrate/high fat diets. As a researcher myself, I checked into some of their sources, and they seem to be (from what I found) based on solid research, not some of the messy, "setting out to prove a point" stuff that often gets batted around. You won't find a lot of hype here, and if you don't have a background in science, you may get lost. That is the only reason I rated this 4 stars instead of 5. However, if you want some solid information, this is a good resource for your library.
on August 24, 2013
These guys understand the science of low-carbohydrate high-fat diets better than anyone. A must read if you want to experience your full aliveness, as I did for the first time in 40 years after following their recommendations closely.
All my life I have had gut problems, acne, tooth decay, arthritis, allergies and dissolving bones. A few years ago I started to develop a neurological disorder and had an MIR that showed demyelination. I decided to eat more fat, and turned a lot of things around in a matter of months. But never could quite quick my sugar habit until I read this book and experienced for the first time what it was to be keto-adapted. It has changed my life. No more acne, no more gut problems, teeth re-mineralising, no more joint pain, neurological symptoms gone, more energy, stronger and fitter without exercising any more than before, skin glowing, allergies vanished, happier, more alive, thriving as never before.
If, as I did, you have a lot of health issues that no one seems to be able to cure you of, you might want to give this a go. It takes a few weeks at least, but is worth persisting in.
If you need help working out how to eat LCHF in a nutritive manner, check out my blog called For the Love of Lipids. Contrary to popular belief LCHF is NOT all bacon and eggs.
on May 10, 2016
Excellent information on living the low carb life correctly. This is major information for people who want to follow low carb. It explains the science of how it works well.
on June 20, 2017
Just got this book yesterday and already half way through it. So many usable facts and it will give me the resources to let people know "Why I go Keto!" Low carb living is really living with no regrets and enjoying many satisfying meals. So happy to read the scientific reasons why a low carb diet gives me the ability to lose weight or maintain weight and have an abundance of energy.
on January 21, 2014
This is really an excellent book on low-carb. I like it for two reasons. First, when just about any data is mentioned, the author explains where that data came from. In cases where the info is not known, the author puts that forward as well. Second, when I read this book I don't get the feeling that I get from some books where the author places himself above all else, and looks down upon anyone that would disagree with his stand. I get that from many books the old "ha ha I'm right on this subject and everyone else is wrong" type of attitude. Instead I get what is known on the issue and why the author believes it and that is all. The author does not step out-of-bounds and preach. Overall a great resource that more people and doctors should read.

The only negative would be that this book is a bit on the technical side. If you just want what but not why, this book isn't likely for you.