Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 522 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 563 reviews
on December 8, 2015
I just lost 20 pounds in four months doing a KETO based diet. JUST read this book...so helpful. I'm a low carb/primal/paleo (can we invent anymore labels nowadays? LOL!) I have not eaten grains, beans, much fruit for 6 years. No longer have any chronic respiratory problems BUT I never lost weight ..maintained - kinda but never lost. I was eating too much protein - who knew? I started to research lower calories and learned about adjusting my macros and keeping a food log on FitDay.com (oh yeah I caved and started logging my daily foods) and lost the weight fast. Some weeks I gained a pound but the next week I lost two...what they say in this book about water weight fluctuation is true. I only weigh once a week. NOW I am learning to maintain...I exercise moderately which means my new macro calculations are about 3-400 more calories a day. Bummer Man...now I have to eat more Kerry Gold butter and organic coconut oil while keeping my protein and carbs the same...oh well LOL!

Don't listen to the naysayers! Oh, the only reason I gave this four not five stars is because canola oil is mentioned as part of the good oils...no no no - new research says that Canola oil (or rape seed oil as it is called) is rancid stuff and coconut oil is hardly mentioned at all and should be. I make coffee every morning with a tab of butter and a tab of coconut oil and blend with my "Smart Stick" - a little cinnamon, a couple of tabs of chia seeds - amazing treat. The book was published in 2010 so it makes sense that the current research on oils is not included. Other than that - wonderful...another low carb bible to add to my library. Love low carb/keto living...thanks for well researched information gentlemen.
on July 12, 2011
There are so very many in depth and all inclusive reviews I see no reason to parrot what they have all said, but I'll say that I agree enthusiastically. Jimmy Moore's review in particular is a gem!

As a person who is fascinated with this subject and who eagerly devoured both of Gary Taubes' books, this one offers yet a deeper and more clinical examination of the science of low carbohydrate eating from two doctors who have been immersed in this field for 30 years. This is most definitely NOT a book for the casual reader interested in following a low carb diet. Rather, this is a book that will be understood and appreciated by someone who has a great deal of personal interest in learning more about this subject and who enjoys the deeply scientific explanations and discussion, and additionally, a person who has already done a fair bit of reading on this subject. This book is most definitely targeted at someone with a scientific and medical background, specifically doctors, and there are things that I had to read a few times to fully comprehend and absorb, but if you have the inclination and interest, this is a very rewarding and enlightening discussion that is quite unique in the current low carb literature. One would be hard pressed to deny the absolutely overwhelming and glaring evidence arguing for low carb diets when the vast body of proof is presented as compellingly and clearly is it is here. Low carb's undeniable superiority as a way of eating is nothing short of amazing to read about in all its historic and fascinating glory. My own personal observation and experience (also success) with eating low carb left me with vaguely formed ideas and I was self-identified as perhaps a "carb sensitive" person, and yet I couldn't put it all together in terms of how it ultimately affected me until I read this book, which discusses this subject at great length. Carb sensitivity is apparently a matter of degree within each individual, and I now understand the hows and whys of its effects on me as related to my own independent observations over the years. It's now clear why a low carb diet works so superbly and easily for me (when nothing else works) and why it has so vastly improved my health in myriad ways.

Another important discussion was that of individual variability, which explains why not every diet works for everyone equally, why some don't gain weight on a high carb diet and why some can lose weight equally well on various types of diets. One shoe obviously does not fit all, and for some, only one shoe fits!

Despite my own success with weight loss and good health eating low carb, I still had this nagging worry about fats in particular, especially in light of the deafening chorus of low carb detractors out there who railed endlessly about the dangers of fat. My insecurity about this aspect of low carb eating has now been entirely put to rest because of how fully the authors explain the body's use of fat in all its aspects. This alone make this book a valuable asset.

As it was when I was reading the two Taubes books, I continue to be dismayed and disgusted by the narrow mindedness and yes, dishonesty of the general scientific/nutrition community. The word "sheeple" comes to mind, but it's even more than that. It's about politics, money, influence peddling as well. It is nothing short of amazing how so many of us lay folks out in the trenches can quite clearly see all the evidence for what it is and relate it to our own experiences, and as a result we draw such a different conclusion from the so-called "experts" with regard to the merits of low carb eating. Many, maybe even most of the diet gurus continue to march down that same old highway chanting their tired mantra of low fat/high carb/grains are great, all while totally ignoring or at least remaining oblivious to decades of increasing obesity rates that are the result of their recommendations. Do they never connect any dots or examine the evidence? In the popular media, it is a continual frustration to hear them continue to hawk diets full of the very foods that keep their patients overweight, increasingly diabetic and unhealthy. Virtually everything I come across that is not written within the low carb framework is jam packed with misinformation and downright untruths, proclaiming as desirable, healthy and effective the very approaches and strategies that were long ago shown to be just the opposite. Old habits and beliefs die hard, apparently.

So if you have already done a fair bit of reading on this subject and thirst for a deeper, more thorough knowledge and understanding of the history and actual body mechanics of low carb nutrition, then this is definitely a book you will want to read and enjoy. In addition, it provides you with a huge new database of ammunition with which to make your own case and defense of low carb nutrition! Overall a very fascinating, enlightening, comprehensive and well presented discussion that delves deeper than anything I have yet to come across in this field. Despite the rather high cost of this book, it is well worth owning.
88 comments| 574 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2017
If you plan to go on a ketogenic diet, like the atkins or paleo type diet, read this book. It is eye opening. I lost weight and felt GREAT on a ketogenic diet years ago, but went off it due to so many people telling me it was bad, not sustainable, etc. etc. What BS. This book has the science behind why it works, and also talks about all those studies that say it doesn't, and has an explanation of what the studies REALLY said.
on July 5, 2017
Finished reading today 7/5/17. I began reading these authors' book Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance because of extreme daily fatigue which commenced in March 2017 when restarting cardio & resistance training after 5 yrs away. I've been generally restricting carbs for years, but the fatigue needed to go and so I knew I needed more info. The A&S of Lo-Carb Performance book kept referring to more explanation in A&S of Lo-Carb Living, so I interrupted Performance to read Living. Living is worth the read, and it's got me tweaking my diet already, but I'm on vacation and away from the gym so it's too soon to know. I'm NOT an athlete, just a 66 yo female trying to regain lost lean body mass. The info from this book had me checking my lab work results, and I'm doing respectably well in areas. But improving the actual macros on my plate is where I'd benefit from a mentor, so I could monkey see monkey do. I have GOT to get that fatigue to go. Now I'll resume reading the Performance book. The things these books excel in are the references, including products that I'd never heard of that have helped others, so I'm looking to try some of these tools. I'm going to succeed one of these days soon. Stay tuned. ; - )
on January 2, 2017
I am not a frequent reader of books on diet and nutrition. However I have taken an interest in improving my own health by learning more about this topic. At the same time I was reading it I was adapting to a low-carb regime and also conducting a 3-day fast. It isn't as hard as you think, and I absolutely feel better and am losing weight.

This book helped me better understand the science and biology of human metabolism. Before I read it I had no idea how the body partitioned and used its fuel, which is critical to buying in to the low-carb-high-fat idea. I can't claim to fully understand it to the point where I can articulate it to someone else, but I do have a good start on it. There are parts of the book I will definitely re-read.

What I am really hoping for, and will try to report on as an addendum to this review, is to improve my blood chemistry and ideally avoid the typical maladies that strike a 40+ year-old later in life.

If you are trying to do the same thing, this book is worth your time and money and I wish you well on your journey.
on February 14, 2013
The science makes sense. The faulty science of the low fat mantra and how it became dogma is explained. Understanding the lifestyle of the Inuit and plains Indians is interesting. LCHF..low carb high fat. Well written explanation of the LCHF diet, how it works, why it works, and more. These guys are THE experts on dieting. Hopefully their science will become mainstream and replace the unhealthy low fat science of the past 40 years.

This diet has helped me lose 25 lbs in 5 weeks. Keep a log of grams of fats,carbs and proteins. Hitting 75-80% fat in your diet requires logging for a week or so to understand what you need to eat to reach the desired 80-15-5 ratio. I have no craving for carbs now. I feel good. I highly recommend this book.

Update as of May 15, 2013.....I have reread the book and continued on the low carb high fat diet. I am consistently losing 5 lbs every month. It is an easy diet to follow once you learn how to eat more fat. No sugar high/lows and you feel stronger. I would like to lose quicker but...can tell that some of the weight loss of fat is being offset by muscle weight gain. My clothes are delightfully loose and am sizing down. I am doing some weight resistance training. In their performance book it is well documented that you can gain muscle mass while losing weight(fat). Excellent book...recommend you also look at their video interviews with Jimmy Moore and others.

Latest update...as of August 15, 2013 seven months into the LCHF diet I have lost 60 lbs.
on July 28, 2014
I have been on a low carb diet now for about a year. I have never been a snacker in between meals or go back for seconds kind of eater. I wasn't one to pile up my plate and rarely ever "cleaned" my plate. I assure you that I was not an overeater. This was due to the fact that even before feeling full the food would stop tasting good and I would stop. It was like my body had it's own meter that said that's enough. My husband was envious. I never had a weight problem until I hit the age of 36 which I got under control by going on the Zone diet which is similar to a low carb but it limits your fats. I was very successful until I entered pre-menopause around 45. I started packing pounds in my stomach which I could not seem to stop or get rid of. I was eating as sensibly as I could with the info I knew so far, but I was getting heavier. I know that this is common in menopausal women so I figured that once I hit menopause it would stop. Well it didn't. Then I happened upon the low carb diet by chance. My husband noticed that whenever he had something with sugar, his legs would ache shortly after and he has always had restless legs. So I started researching and came upon some bloggers who found relief with a Ketogenic Diet. I researched the diet and decided we should try it, but I felt a more modified Ketogenic would be easier for us to follow. This book pretty much verifies what I have been finding in the diet to be true. Not only have I lost 35 lbs. but my whole body feels so much better. I noticed the difference long before losing a pound, e.g. acid reflux that I have been fighting most of my life disappeared over night in eliminating sugars and starches, and my muscles no longer ached. My body felt peaceful. I am 58 and attributed a lot of my body aches to getting older. To my surprise, in going low carb I have never felt younger. I have more energy, am less hungry, and my tryglicerides have never been lower ever! This book explains that. I find the need to read books like this one because the recommendation for low fat diets has been so ingrained in us that I still find myself concerned that I might be causing harm to my body even though I feel great and my lipid panels and blood pressure are good. It's hard to overcome that kind of thinking when it's all you've heard most of your life, even though obesity and diabetes has never been higher. Yet we still hear from the mainstream that a low fat diet with multi-grains is the answer. The book describes the science behind the low carb diet and sheds some light on how the studies that helped send out the decree for low fat were interpreted. This book is not a recipe book or a step by step guide on how to do a low carb diet, but it helps you to understand how the body utilizes carbs and fats and why fats are important in our diet. I always like to know the why or how something works. This book makes sense of it all and helps me to stay the course. If you are tired of feeling lousy and being overweight, this book might be the information you need.
on July 19, 2016
I have been reading a lot of online info related to Low Carb/High Fat lately - searches resulted in lots of links to very basic info. I have also read a couple of Paleo/Keto books, that provided information that was more in-depth info, but still didnt feel I had all the facts. I felt I understood the basic principles but not enough to make an informed decision regarding this way of eating. I was interested in learning science based facts.

This book was recommended to me and boy-oh-boy, did it deliver !
After reading this book, I feel I have the information needed to make a well informed decision. Lots of science-based information, backed by verifiable studies. The topics are pertinent to us 'every day folk' that is very well presented - easy to understand.

If you are looking for a no-frills book that explains the science of how the body utilizes and responds to Macronutrients (Carbs, Fat and Protein), then this is the book you have been looking for.
I bought a 'used' copy off Amazon at a nice reduced price. The copy I received is like 'brand new'. I dont think anyone actually opened the book.
It arrived in 2 days.
on April 14, 2015
A great book to get the facts on low carb vs low fat diets, backed up by many scientific studies conducted by the authors and others. But it's a huge switch for both body and mind, requiring at least two weeks for the body to adapt to a low carb, or "ketogenic", diet. More salt is needed too, plus much more fat for energy, perhaps 3/4 of the body's energy. Though olive oil, coconut oil, and nuts seem to get top billing, the body can handle all kinds of fats after the switch without damaging effects from bad cholesteral (small particle LDL-C). Among carbohydrates, sugars are the worst, being immediately converted to fats by the liver to add to your waistline, while increasing hunger for more sugars, in contrast to the satiation that comes from eating fats.

Many studies of diet have been too short to see how the body adapts to burning ketones instead of glucose. But traditional societies often practiced ketogenic diets out of necessity, such as in artic regions or the plains of the Serengeti or North America. The authors explain the science behind this traditional diet (but you can skip parts that seem overly technical) and how it can prevent type 2 diabetes and even replace carbohydrate loading for athletes. At the back of the book are some helpful recipes, since
on April 10, 2017
I really enjoyed this book. Some areas in the book are a little technical which can make for some boring reading. The information in this book is really educational. I've had it for a few months now and I have applied some of the information to my life style and I feel great! I would definitely recommend! I even skipped sections that were a bit too technical for me and still was able to follow the book just fine.