Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on December 30, 2009
I bought this book because I have a client who sells to the wealthy. I thought perhaps I'd find a gem or an idea, something I perhaps could use to put in his marketing mix, which is already successful. I wanted to be better able to help the client meet his needs. What I discovered was that selling to the affluent is not so different than selling to Joe Sixpack. Oh, Joe may not expect to be treated like a king but he would sure love it if he was. So, it goes without saying, the wealthy certainly want to be looked up to and treated somewhat royally.

What I took away from the book is that those who sell to the affluent should:

Make themselves available to them 24/7/365
Give them their cell phone number and contact numbers and encourage them to call you if they have any problems
Solve any problems immediately and with no hassle
Do all you can to make the relationship hassle-free and stress-free.
Treat the affluent like the winners they are.
Don't try to sell them - let them buy.
Don't push them.
Join groups where the affluent are.
Become like the affluent.
Become comfortable with them.

Beyond this, it's a book on salesmanship. It is, in fact, somewhat basic salesmanship. The affluent are just folks who come from modest backgrounds in most cases. Their needs have grown as their income has grown. They are stressed and have a good deal of responsibility. So the person who can make their lives easier and better is the person who will get their business. And, yes, they'll gladly pay more for better service.

But, as I said, all of the above can be said about any group of people sans having lots of money.

Certainly if you want to sell to the affluent or if you already do, this is a good book to read. But it's a far cry from the last word or enough words on the subject. In fact, I find a bestseller from the nineties to be far superior - Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing - I listen to the audio version several times a year because it's so great.

Nonetheless, I recommend this book. It's a good, fast read and if you're just beginning your career, you can gain a great deal from it.

- Susanna K. Hutcheson
on August 15, 2013
Helpful if you want to target upper bracket buyers and sellers. However, you will need to have money to invest in working with this level of client. You need working capital to invest in clothes, cars, marketing, PR, marketing properties, and more. It takes money to make money. Either that or you need to live in the neighborhood or have parents or relatives who do so that you can tap into their already established social network.
If you are involved in selling in any way, you would do well to read this book and use it as your selling manual.

The pyramind shaped economy has been replaced by the hour-glass economy. The middle class is disappearing while the high and low ends are expanding. The low end of the economy is price restricted. They must make their decisions based on price and therefore most of their purchases are commodity based. That is a difficult way to make money. Low price is not a sustainable competitive position.

No one wants to be middle class anymore. The ambitious want to move up to the affluent. This book is all about effective selling to the affluent. It is well researched, action oriented and street tested. The book is easy to read and contains a wealth of information.

There is lots of information, much of it counteintuitive, about effective selling to the affluent. Among the affluent, price ranked last in terms of influencing major purchases. That does not mean that price is not important - it is - but is is linked to perceived value. The affluent did not become affluent by ignoring price. But they focus on the total transaction - the total value.

The quality of the warranty or guarantee had the most influence by a large margin. When selling to the affluent, you must focus on building a relationship. They detest being sold. They want to be served and assisted as the move through the decision process.

To effective sell to the affluent, you need to change your mindset from selling a product with its features and benefits to concept selling. It is the heart and soul of selling to the affluent. People will always pay more for ideas than they will for products. Concept selling begins with learning about the prospects goals and aspirations as they relate to your product or service.

In addition to all the information and advice on selling to the affluent, Matt gives some very good information on how each person can better achieve their own goals. First you need to determine if you work from an "avoidance pattern" or an "achievement pattern". Far too many people work at things that avoid taking direct action toward their goals.

The book is well organized, well written and has lots of valuable information. There is a summary at the end of each chapter and action steps that you should take to implement the concepts.

The main reason that people do not achieve their goals is they don't take action. Oechsli says that all we do is driven by three concepts, feeling, thinking and doing. We need to reverse that sequence to doing, thinking and feeling. If we do more, we will achieve more.

If you want to join the ranks of the affluent rather than being envious of them, read this book, take the actions recommended and you will transform your life.
on May 20, 2014
Because my business is sewing, I tend to cater to all my customers. I like sewing and I like helping people. Where I am located at this time, most of my customers range from the middle to upper middle class. But just a short drive due south is a very affluent area.
What I learned from Matt Oeschsli's book, I had all ready managed to know from working as a decorator. But, Mr. Oeschsil made some very important tips about knowing how to be of service to this special group of individuals, which showed me how to polish what I knew and what I learned from this book. At some point I will target this area with my sewing services and product lines.
on April 12, 2014
Good book; a bit manipulative in its approach, but definitely worth the read. It's never about finding the quail, then making the sale. It is always about being skilful in your work and having the motivation to serve people; help them attain their goals.
on September 18, 2013
Very informative with regard to the luxury sales business. It gives personalized service standards and really has helped to inspire me in my employment to reach for authenticity and customization specifics for EACH client not the same across the board.
on March 13, 2014
As a real estate broker for 25+ years and associated with Sotheby's International Realty, I can say that Matt Oechsli truly understands the topic. I highly recommend his book.
on April 27, 2013
Good reference material that will be used as a strategic planning guide to fulfill business plan. Tactical attributes will be determined through testing of numerous concepts.
on September 11, 2014
Can't wait to read it
on July 1, 2012
I had heard several people talk about this book. It was shipped quickly in perfect condition. The book does a great job of talking about how your business must change if you are to draw in high net worth clients. A great read.