Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 15, 2014
He has no respect for believers, particularly for "fundies" (come to think of it, who would?). He comes across as a rather conservative pro-gun individual (which is an oddity: atheists are usually anti-gun pinkos) without, of course, sounding homophobic or pro-life. He is obviously very intelligent and has a sense of humor. All in all, he seems to be a kind of guy I would like to meet.
Though I've read several of the leading atheist authors, Hump manages to make some new interesting points for me, some arguments I haven't read elsewhere. A minor problem is that, being the book a collection of blogs, ideas were not systematically organized so I find difficult to retrieve concepts that draw my attention. I suggest when you meet those, make a mark on the page.
I agree with those who point out this book, with all its sarcasm, is not designed to convince theists (for that I would recommend Guy P. Harrison's "50 Reasons..."). But TACC surely provides good ammunition for those atheists who want to discuss with them.
on November 24, 2011
This is a great book, and a easy read. Until the age of 30, I was pretty much that religious nut decribed in this book. Then for some unknown reason I started studying books on nature, math, various sciences - never had a very good education growing up. Now that Iam an old man and been an atheist for 35 plus years, I too have seen the upsurge in religious craziness. It took me awhile also to unindoctrinate myself from the absurd things flowing from all types of religious craziness. One of biggest factors for me was to get away from faith without facts to back them up. Example, if you read a math question and find the answer - in order make sure its correct, you have to be able to prove the answer. If the math book is wrong you feel its ok to throw it out. Religious books, as pointed out by many authors - have so many faults and re-writes and miss information, that wishful thinking/faith or whatever, does not make them correct. When people are allow to teach children that we walked with dinosaurs - the world is 6000 years old and flat - the sun revolves around the earth; well, you get the idea! We need the sciences, not the absurd. Someday, we will have to find another home and move from this planet before our sun burns out. Without science - math - etc. our minds will close and our species will be gone! with or without the god/gods that people want to believe are real. I, like the author, do not want religion in my government; just like the founders foresaw. Even the founders new that religion could bring us back to the dark ages! If I could, I would give this book 6 stars.
on October 11, 2009
I enjoy reading books on atheism. Many of those are written in a somewhat academic style, which is fine, but if you want to get away from that style for a bit then I think you will enjoy `The Atheist Camel'. This book doesn't pull punches as the language is straight forward and clearly expresses the author's views on religiosity.

The book is mostly internet-reference based which is a different approach when compared to most other books on the subject (from such authors as Dawkins, Harris and Loftus). These web-site references are provided and so it can be interesting to go and check some of them out. It is written in a fairly big font and each chapter is very short, making it an easy and fun read. Although it is informative and the author brings up some interesting points, one should keep in mind that it is mostly an outlet for the author's opinion and thoughts. Thus, it will not be as thorough and deep in its rebuttal of religious beliefs as the books written by the previously mentioned authors. But I don't think that was ever the book's intent. So overall, I recommend this book, as it will at times make you think, at times make you want to check out a web-site, and of course at other times, it will give you a chuckle or two.
13 people found this helpful
on February 25, 2011
This book is GREAT. You know all those imaginary conversations where you picture yourself telling off some stupid proponent of religious nonsense? Well here they are, 105 of them, all written out, each argument honed to a sharp edge. You can put that writing project you've been thinking about for years on hold and read this book instead. You won't be disappointed. Apart from the LOL humor and the occasional fist pumping fiero, there is another, more wistful, emotion that comes from reading this book. It makes you yearn for a time when enlightened, ethical atheism (mostly a redundancy) is the norm and not the exception in our back alley of the universe.....or hey, just here in my neighborhood. Buy an extra copy and leave it under the Gideous bible in the next hotel room you stay in. And put it on your bookshelf right next to "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins.
4 people found this helpful
on July 14, 2011
This is a highly entertaining atheist book. It's a quick read, being separated by short chapters It will make you mad and chuckle at the same time in many instances. Bart Centre is the Adam Corolla of Athiest Books in my opinion. I think he expresses himself in a developed way, while putting you in his seat to enjoy his stories and rants. He is certainly knowledgeable and takes you through many topics quickly. This is more of a collection of topics, unlike many atheist books, that really try to cover one topic heavily. He calls people out and names names without hesitation. I loved that. If you want to be entertained while seeing his points of view, this is it.
on July 6, 2011
I live in a predominantly conservative Christian valley in southern California. Non-believers are the minority here. Although I do not actively seek out confrontations with "churchies", I do like to be armed with proper counter arguments to their drivel when the opportunity presents itself -- such as when a pair of them knock on my door early on a Saturday morning. Although I have come up with my own collection of clever arguments for some of the more common pre-fab fundy talking points, the essays in this book are excellent at summing up the case against belief in perfect bite-sized nuggets of wisdom. This book is perfect to keep in your "reading room", as each essay is only two or three pages long -- the perfect length for picking up some wisdom whilst "dropping the kids off at the pool" as it were. :)
on November 25, 2009
I have read most of the leading skeptical books on religion by Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, and many others.
What makes this book better than any of the others is simply that, all of those authors restrained themselves - Hump did not.
He provides over a hundred short essays that cut right to the point.
He backs up his claims with proof, and his opinions with logic.
While his humor (which I found very funny) will offend believers, that is due to the outrageousness of their claims - not because of any mean-spiritedness on his part.
As promised, this book will give you the ability to counter illogical, dishonest, creationist propaganda.
I had never heard of the author, nor the book when I saw it on Amazon.
Reading it was one of the best decisions I've made this year.
7 people found this helpful
on July 26, 2013
I bought the book because I currently read the almost weekly blog that the Hump writes and it was good to see that his older work was just as enlightening as his current stuff. Even though it has only been 4 or so years since the events occurred, it brought back memories of the Bush era and reminded this reader of how messed up things were. How did we survive that presidency?
on April 5, 2010
I'm going to make a "shrine" for Dromedary Hump. His essays are concise and to the point. Whilst exhausted from laughter I couldn't put it down - "just one more, just one more, before I go to bed"

I absolutely love it when the Camel shoots the Theists using their very own bullets, "How it may be lawful and fitting to use deceit...for the benefit of those who wish to be deceived" - Bishop Eusebius 4th Century Christian Scholar; and "What harm would it do if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the Christian Church?" - Martin Luther 16th century theologian. Then there are the rational and compelling arguments AGAINST a belief in God, including his "Letter from God to a chosen believer" - "Hi, how are you, hope things are going well for you. Of course I already know how things are going, I was just being congenially anthromorphic for your benefit......I want to let you know that I'm really sorry about your infant daughter dying. I wouldn't want you to think for one minute that I didn't hear your prayers, and see your wife's tears as she sat by her bedside all those weeks and begged for me to save her. I'm sorry she had to suffer that slow, agonising death, but I haven't gotten around to providing the doctors with the formula and insight necessary to cure her condition. Maybe next week...., I know I can count on your continued praise and worship"

Don't muck around - just buy this book. Five BIG stars.
7 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2015
Fantastic read. I was raised a catholic, going through life with blinders on. Now I can see