Industrial Deals Beauty Textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 12, 2013
Let me be crystal clear and extremely frank in this review. The Autobiography of Malcolm X is my FAVORITE book and, I believe, one of the most important books written in the 20th Century. There have been many printings of this book and they have had slight alterations throughout their publishing. The original 1965 edition came with photos. There have always been three missing chapters that are still held by a private owner. However, Penguin Modern Classics has reprinted this essential piece of literature anew-WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL EPILOGUE or Ossie Davis' contributions to the work. This means, essentially, THAT THE ASSASSINATION HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE BOOK! Reading this version of the book will leave the reader wondering how Malcolm was assassinated, who was responsible and so forth. In addition, the first page of the book is a generalizing synopsis that has the audacity to claim that Malcolm advocated change through the vehicle of violence. Anyone who has read the complete Malcolm X Autobiography in depth knows fully well that this is untrue, an absolute falsity and misrepresentation that can lead to dangerous miscalculations. Omitting the Epilogue, for a topic this serious, is not only censorship, but one must conclude that it was done intentionally. If it was done intentionally, the only real motive could be to mislead a new generation of people trying to learn THE TRUTH about Malcolm. It's a shame that they won't be able to find all of it in his own book!
1,193 people found this helpful
|2727 comments|Report abuse
on March 6, 2018
After watching the Spike Lee film this book has long been on my reading list. I was a little hesitant because I might be so outside of the experiences of Malcolm X that I might feel disconnected and alienated that it would be a tough read but I couldn't have been more wrong. I was totally absorbed in this story. The writing makes everything come alive as we share this emotional and spiritual journey. I devoured it in a week's time. It becomes compulsive after a while. I was mesmerized by the evolution of this man. He was flawed as he himself would remark and still growing. Yet another life silenced by violence. What would he might have continued to do had he lived and joined forces with other black leaders whom he previously had contempt for. We will never know. The story is inspiring and a cold reminder that so little has changed since then. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. My own favourite section is when he is in prison and discovers a passion for books and knowledge. As a lifelong reader the idea of this discovery eternally kindles my own passions. It is a remarkable book. I would easily place it on my list of all-time favourite books.
3 people found this helpful
on June 24, 2017
At 40 years old I have finally read this book. I have known about it for over 20 years but I just never read it. I wasn't sure why, maybe because I thought it would be boring, maybe not enough time (trying to accomplish the American dream), and any other excuse I could think of. Well let me tell you, I didn't read it because I wasn't ready for the information that it contains. I know for sure that I am ready for the info NOW because I have recently lived some of the things Mr. X has spoke about. I have recently removed my rose-colored glasses and have accepted the truth for what it is being a black female in America. The truth has been a hard pill to swallow until I read his story. What we are facing as a nation in 2017 is exactly what was going on during his time. I have to do something, I will do something. I just pray I have as much courage as he did to continue to stand for what is right. THIS BOOK IS SO VERY IMPORTANT TODAY. Everyone in this country should read this book, it should be in middle/high school curriculum for mandatory reading.
5 people found this helpful
on April 25, 2018
About 20 years ago I watched the movie with Denzel Washington about the life of Malcolm X. At the time I had no idea who he was at all. Now after all these years, I came across this book and knew that I had to get it. I've always been a huge fan of biographies and this definitely didn't disappoint!! Without giving anything away, I will just say this... The writing is absolutely fantastic and holds nothing back when it comes to his past and the details of such. It was extremely informative and interesting to read. Anyone who is a history lover, a biography lover or was like me and just wanted to know more about Malcolm X will thoroughly enjoy this. Personally, I think everyone should read this so that they can understand better the man, his views and opinions, the environment at the time and how he came to his opinions and views. It was very easy to read and at times I found it hard to put down!! I highly recommend this book and after the countless biographies I've read, I definitely put this on the top as most important to read.
One person found this helpful
on August 13, 2018
Great story, great storyteller! My first reading was back when I was a kid in rural 1968 Georgia. I had heard all about the man from the evening news, other kids parents through their biased know it all young'ens, and of course some of my own opinionated older family members. Why was everybody so worked up about this guy still, three years after his death?
So I took it upon myself to read his story for myself. His story stuck with me through the years, always one of my favorite reads. I could never convince others to try it, it was then and still is that controversial. Fifty years later...I bought a copy to re-read his story ( with hindsight as judge). I still feel glad that I chose to read this then and again now. This story is still relevent today. I highly recommend that everyone should read this book, at any age!
on April 19, 2018
It's a reason that Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz) survived his violent past and completely turned his life around. Since his early life, he was able to analyze situations well and influence people before he was even a public speaker.

Malcolm X and his involvement with the Nation of Islam was just a step in his life. He realized the need for a non-religious organization for black people to transcend their current conditions. As for Islam, Malcolm X's pilgrimage to Mecca and his account has developed, for me, personal interest in the religion of Islam.

It's unfortunate that Malcolm's life was taken by ignorance. He was wise and not afraid to admit his faults. He was for the truth no matter what. El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz is currently the only renown person I wish I could accompany.
on February 18, 2016
One of my top 5 all-time favorite books!!!! No matter what race you are or religious faith you do or don't belong to....you must read this book! You'll never believe the myths propagated by the state again if you do. Wonderful collaboration between Alex Haley and Malcolm X to get this book in print. I'm haunted by the stories of X's youth where his father was killed for essentially being a Marcus Garvey supporter and his mother struggled to keep the family together with little to no assistance. A heartbreaking childhood would naturally lead to a troubled youth. However, the transformation from chaos and crime to disciplined humanitarian is remarkable!!!!! It is indeed true that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I understand, after reading this book, why J. Edgar Hoover wanted to destroy Malcolm X. Evil always wants to destroy truth.

TOP 5 favorite book!!! Must read!
10 people found this helpful
on June 21, 2017
I am an avid reader. strictly non-fiction. This is the first book I've ever read that I would recommend to EVERY American. This needs to be on the required reading list of every high school. His life experiences and subsequent teachings are even more relevant today (2017) than they were in 1965. What a brilliantly captured autobiography.
9 people found this helpful
on March 11, 2018
A critically important book about American history and anthropology. This young man was an amazing part of our culture. His pointed message, easily misunderstood, was necessary, overdue and painfully true. Everyone should be exposed to this story as it is one under whose shadow we continue to live, with intermittent steps backward. Malcolm was incredibly intelligent and hard working, even when he was in his dark times. He was learned without formal education. He was eloquent and insightful without formal training, and frankly, without good role modeling. This book moved me on multiple planes.
on November 19, 2016
this is a book that was very important in my life and helped form my social conscience. i wish more people... anyway, there is a special 12 year old next door who is very interested in helping others and wants to grow up to be an attorney so she can help people. this book was part of my required reading in high school and community college (same wonderful teacher both places). i ordered a copy for my neighbor a couple of months ago. i think everyone should read it.
One person found this helpful