Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 12, 2013
Let me be crystal clear and extremely frank in this review. The Autobiography of Malcolm X is my FAVORITE book and, I believe, one of the most important books written in the 20th Century. There have been many printings of this book and they have had slight alterations throughout their publishing. The original 1965 edition came with photos. There have always been three missing chapters that are still held by a private owner. However, Penguin Modern Classics has reprinted this essential piece of literature anew-WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL EPILOGUE or Ossie Davis' contributions to the work. This means, essentially, THAT THE ASSASSINATION HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE BOOK! Reading this version of the book will leave the reader wondering how Malcolm was assassinated, who was responsible and so forth. In addition, the first page of the book is a generalizing synopsis that has the audacity to claim that Malcolm advocated change through the vehicle of violence. Anyone who has read the complete Malcolm X Autobiography in depth knows fully well that this is untrue, an absolute falsity and misrepresentation that can lead to dangerous miscalculations. Omitting the Epilogue, for a topic this serious, is not only censorship, but one must conclude that it was done intentionally. If it was done intentionally, the only real motive could be to mislead a new generation of people trying to learn THE TRUTH about Malcolm. It's a shame that they won't be able to find all of it in his own book!
1,130 people found this helpful
|2727 comments|Report abuse
on November 11, 2017
A classic in so many ways. Look around you and then at yourself and ask yourself what am I responsible for under that the humanity of all Black Americans is our legacy and their lives. Malcolm wanted to "feel" life; particularly it's heartache and struggle. We are truly the bleached man descended from prehistoric societies. Every American owes it to his or her intellectual and moral development to experience this special man and his legacy.
5 people found this helpful
on June 24, 2017
At 40 years old I have finally read this book. I have known about it for over 20 years but I just never read it. I wasn't sure why, maybe because I thought it would be boring, maybe not enough time (trying to accomplish the American dream), and any other excuse I could think of. Well let me tell you, I didn't read it because I wasn't ready for the information that it contains. I know for sure that I am ready for the info NOW because I have recently lived some of the things Mr. X has spoke about. I have recently removed my rose-colored glasses and have accepted the truth for what it is being a black female in America. The truth has been a hard pill to swallow until I read his story. What we are facing as a nation in 2017 is exactly what was going on during his time. I have to do something, I will do something. I just pray I have as much courage as he did to continue to stand for what is right. THIS BOOK IS SO VERY IMPORTANT TODAY. Everyone in this country should read this book, it should be in middle/high school curriculum for mandatory reading.
3 people found this helpful
on March 6, 2018
After watching the Spike Lee film this book has long been on my reading list. I was a little hesitant because I might be so outside of the experiences of Malcolm X that I might feel disconnected and alienated that it would be a tough read but I couldn't have been more wrong. I was totally absorbed in this story. The writing makes everything come alive as we share this emotional and spiritual journey. I devoured it in a week's time. It becomes compulsive after a while. I was mesmerized by the evolution of this man. He was flawed as he himself would remark and still growing. Yet another life silenced by violence. What would he might have continued to do had he lived and joined forces with other black leaders whom he previously had contempt for. We will never know. The story is inspiring and a cold reminder that so little has changed since then. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. My own favourite section is when he is in prison and discovers a passion for books and knowledge. As a lifelong reader the idea of this discovery eternally kindles my own passions. It is a remarkable book. I would easily place it on my list of all-time favourite books.
One person found this helpful
on September 14, 2017
I am giving this book 5 stars! It captivates you from the first chapter and holds you throughout the entire journey. Yes, this journey allowed me to know him as meeting him in person. This author captured the spirit and soul of Malcolm X. You will identify with him as a common man with deep rooted convictions. The transformation that he experienced will have you feeling you are with him alive while enjoying the process of redefining your own ideology. This book is like taking a transformational vacation of the mind and soul without ever moving your body!!
2 people found this helpful
on January 14, 2018
Malcom X. From Watching his interviews and speeches on YouTube, I was able to match his words from this book to the voice I heard on the videos. Malcom X to me was one of the greatest debaters and speakers. His mind was evolving and was shot down before it truly blossomed. This book is one of the greatest books I've ever read. I truly appreciate reading a well written book in this one is beyond it. A autobiography with purity to its foretold person. A book as told by the Man himself in his own words without any tampering from the writer. I enjoyed everything about this book, I'm saddened that his life was taken from us. Things would be so different if he ever became political figure like he had planned.
7 people found this helpful
on March 11, 2018
A critically important book about American history and anthropology. This young man was an amazing part of our culture. His pointed message, easily misunderstood, was necessary, overdue and painfully true. Everyone should be exposed to this story as it is one under whose shadow we continue to live, with intermittent steps backward. Malcolm was incredibly intelligent and hard working, even when he was in his dark times. He was learned without formal education. He was eloquent and insightful without formal training, and frankly, without good role modeling. This book moved me on multiple planes.
on April 25, 2018
About 20 years ago I watched the movie with Denzel Washington about the life of Malcolm X. At the time I had no idea who he was at all. Now after all these years, I came across this book and knew that I had to get it. I've always been a huge fan of biographies and this definitely didn't disappoint!! Without giving anything away, I will just say this... The writing is absolutely fantastic and holds nothing back when it comes to his past and the details of such. It was extremely informative and interesting to read. Anyone who is a history lover, a biography lover or was like me and just wanted to know more about Malcolm X will thoroughly enjoy this. Personally, I think everyone should read this so that they can understand better the man, his views and opinions, the environment at the time and how he came to his opinions and views. It was very easy to read and at times I found it hard to put down!! I highly recommend this book and after the countless biographies I've read, I definitely put this on the top as most important to read.
on February 18, 2016
One of my top 5 all-time favorite books!!!! No matter what race you are or religious faith you do or don't belong to....you must read this book! You'll never believe the myths propagated by the state again if you do. Wonderful collaboration between Alex Haley and Malcolm X to get this book in print. I'm haunted by the stories of X's youth where his father was killed for essentially being a Marcus Garvey supporter and his mother struggled to keep the family together with little to no assistance. A heartbreaking childhood would naturally lead to a troubled youth. However, the transformation from chaos and crime to disciplined humanitarian is remarkable!!!!! It is indeed true that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I understand, after reading this book, why J. Edgar Hoover wanted to destroy Malcolm X. Evil always wants to destroy truth.

TOP 5 favorite book!!! Must read!
9 people found this helpful
on June 21, 2017
I am an avid reader. strictly non-fiction. This is the first book I've ever read that I would recommend to EVERY American. This needs to be on the required reading list of every high school. His life experiences and subsequent teachings are even more relevant today (2017) than they were in 1965. What a brilliantly captured autobiography.
8 people found this helpful