Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 8, 2013
The reviews on this book didn't help me much...People either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it. So I went ahead and bought the book and now I can give a middle-of-the-road review that will hopefully help others. There are three positive things and three negative things that stood out to me.

PROS:
1) LENGTH: It is VERY short! You could read the whole thing in a day's time if not quicker.
2) CONCISE (more like a handbook): In addition to being short, the author keeps things extremely concise, more like a handbook than an actual detailed plan. For this reason, it seemed to be a disappointment to many who reviewed the book and gave a low rating. Keeping that in mind, I consider this pro also a con (#2).
3) RECIPES: The author provides quite a few yummy-sounding recipes! I personally plan to try most of these recipes.

CONS:
1) TOO MANY TECHNICAL TERMS (hard to understand): There are A LOT of technical terms. For this reason, the first several chapters of the book were WAAAAY over my head. I had to read each chapter several times and look up terms she was mentioning on Google in order for me to fully understand what she was talking about.
2) MORE DETAIL: Since the book was so concise (which I believe was the author's plan all along), she didn't go into detail on these technical terms. I personally would have liked to read more about these terms in a way that people who are not a part of the medical profession (like myself) can understand. This con is also a pro (#2) because of the conciseness of the book...It just left me asking a lot of questions, so I wished there was a bit more.
3) WHERE'S THE PLAN?! So when I purchased this book, I expected it to lay out exactly what a person suffering from an autoimmune condition should do. After all, it actually says "PLAN" in the title. I'm just a "black-and-white" type person who needs to have things spelled out for me and I felt lost after reading this book...Like I had just had a ton of information thrown at me and I had no idea where to begin. Aside from giving a list of foods to eat and foods to eliminate (which was a little contradictory in itself compared to what other autoimmune protocol resources, such as Practical Paleo, mention), the author basically just gave you the information and lets you figure out what to do with it. I'm mostly referring to the detox and supplementation information. That was my biggest disappointment. I've been trying to find out more through her website or other books or SOMETHING...And there's nothing available. :(

If you plan to purchase this book at all, please do yourself a favor and read some other paleo-inspired materials first. It will help you understand this book more in the long run. If I wouldn't have read anything about the paleo diet prior to this book, I would have absolutely hated this book. But having at least a base knowledge of what the paleo diet entails was very helpful in reading and understanding this book since the author really doesn't go into much detail at all. That's my two cents! :)

UPDATE (December 1, 2013): Looking through my Kindle today, I noticed that part of the title of this book has changed from "Plan" to "Breakthrough." It also appears that Ms. Angelone has a new website to go along with the new "Breakthrough" themed books. I will not be changing my review or rating as it seems to have helped quite a few people, but this is certainly a step in the right direction! :)
44 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 7, 2013
The idea that we unintentionally eat foods that are damaging us is an uncomfortable one. According to the American Autoimmune Related Disease Association (as quoted in this book), there are over 50,000,000 Americans who suffer from at least one autoimmune disease and many more who have symptoms of an autoimmune disease without, as yet, any GI destruction. Since four-fifths of our immune systems are located in the gut, digestive health is important. The goal of this book is to encourage readers to increase anti-inflammatory and probiotic foods while reducing or eliminating foods that cause a low grade inflammatory response, irritate the gut lining, or nurture harmful gut bacteria. It succeeds admirably. If you have an open mind and a serious interest in this topic, I heartily recommend this book.
on April 27, 2014
This book has been a useful onramp to the Autoimmune protocol. It has a good high-level overview of what the diet entails, and a manageable number of recipes to help you get started. What was disappointing was the formatting of the e-book, as well as the many redundancies in the text and the sloppiness of the recipies (for instance, ingredients listed twice, amounts not listed, etc.) In spite of these problems, this is the book I give out to people with autoimmune disease to get them started.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 30, 2013
Solid information to help with leaky gut. Helped me feel confident that I am on the right course with treating myself.
on October 14, 2013
I found the introduction on the different types of diets for gut dysbiosis, along with their restricted foods, to be concise and very useful. It gives an excellent overview of all the different ways that certain foods can exacerbate gut bloating, cramps, constipation and diarrhea.
The cookbook itself is very basic. Instructions could be summarized as grill a chicken, wrap it in kale. Grill some shrimp, wrap them in kale. If you know how to already grill chicken and shrimp, you are fine. If you don't you need another cookbook. However for 7 dollars on my iPad I find it a very useful reference for the autoimmune paleo
on September 17, 2013
The theories were interesting, although, I am not sure how valid they are. The diet is certainly worth a try if one is afflicted with autoimmune arthritis. In my opinion, most diets that are severely carbohydrate restrictive are challenging; therefore, this diet may be difficult to follow long term.
on July 28, 2013
This is another book to help you get started on eating the right foods to heal your body. Love having it on my kindle because I can read it anywhere and study and plan my weekly menus.
on June 1, 2013
Excelent program of detox and GI track repear. I have hashimoto, which it is autoimmune- thyroid. it is helping me a lot. Thank you!.
on February 21, 2015
This book gives lots of info, guidance and inspiration to anyone wanting to address their autoimmune disease with healthy food and life changes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 22, 2013
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Hashimoto's Thyroid. I purchased this book to learn more about the connection between diet and autoimmune disease and hopefully get some good recipes. I read the reviews stating how technical the book's jargon can be. As a healthcare provider I figured I'd be fine. I was wrong. There are lots of technical terms, acronyms, and jargon in this book that do not add anything to the message. There are recipes, but as another reviewer pointed out, there's no set plan for those recipes. It's just a book with a lot of terms poorly explained, then lists of foods you can and can't eat (mostly foods you can't), and then recipes. In place of this book I recommend "The Plan" by Lyn-Genet Recitas. She is a dietitian who developed a program to detox your diet to the most basic of foods then systematically teach you how to add foods to determine your own body's sensitivity. She lays out a 21-day meal plan and how to continue on with The Plan after 21 days. Even if you don't do the meal plan, the information in her book is easy to read and comprehend. The Plan: Eliminate the Surprising "Healthy" Foods That Are Making You Fat--and Lose Weight Fast
22 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse