Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 166 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 191 reviews
on December 9, 2013
Classic O'Rourke, maybe a little less humorous than previous books, but a little more thought provoking. As someone born at the very end of the Baby Boom generation, I still don't consider myself a baby boomer, but don't feel like a part of Gen X either, so this was a good primer of what I should be feeling/dealing with as a boomer.
on June 17, 2017
After a bit of a slow start in chapter one, the book immediately became incredibly interesting and hilariously funny. I bought the audio book version and I am sure I was a sight laughing out loud while on the highway. I have recommended the book often. Perfect for anyone who is a baby boomer, but also great for those looking for insight into this generation. Highly Recommended.
on March 30, 2017
Interesting synopsis of growing up in the era of the Baby Boom generation with the foibles of cartoons, TV programs & monkey shines serving as adult entertainment to the masses. Now that the era has passed us by PJ looks upon it as a tongue in cheek graduate of being schooled in a time & place which can not be replicated.
on May 26, 2016
I'm one of the world's biggest PJ O'Rourke fans - own and love nearly everything he ever wrote, he's one of the few authors I find laugh out loud funny, but also deeply insightful and able to cut through to the heart of difficult issues. So I'm not writing this from the perspective of (for example) a hater, who just detests curmudgeonly right-wing types.
But this book was intensely annoying - poorly written and edited in a way I found shocking. There's occasional gems, and a few bits of genuinely cogent analysis and comment. And there's a few funny stories. But much of it was just so rambling and incoherent that I struggled to wade my way through it.
I could never conceive of not finishing one of his books, until now. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe he was making ironic comment on the rambling & incoherent nature of much of the baby-boom's contribution to the world of ideas. Dunno - if he was, it didn't work.
on August 15, 2017
Not the best review of the Boomers because it dwelt too much on O'Rourke's grade school experiences. In fact, after reading the book you'll probably think P. J. got his name from wearing pajamas. That's how much childish stuff is in it.
on October 9, 2016
A witty series of shotgun blasts about an era in US history. He did not zero in with a rifle scope on anything. His commentary on the era flowed from one thing to another. In order to understand what he was talking about you have to be a baby boomer. My birth year is 1948, so I am in his senior class. I was left under the impression that the title: Greatest Generation should change from those who fought WWII with guns and bullets to those who fought the culteral wars of the second half of the century with words, inaction, and sexual play.
on June 3, 2014
Actually I'm a pre-Boomer (1944) but the book was so accurate to my experience in most instances that think O' Rourke has done a marvelous job of showing what it was like to grow up in the forties, fifties and sixties at least.. I had many a good chuckle as his commentary was spot on to the circumstances of my life (I grew up just across the G.W. Bridge from New York in New Jersey). We saw such a swift evolution in the postwar era and the magnitude of that change really makes today's technological speed and development pale by comparison. Yes, we are moving toward the speed of light in all we do, but it was the demands of WWII that made it all possible and probable.
on March 19, 2014
A bit too rambling and unfocused, repetitive. Some "luster nuggets" among the dross but it takes some searching. I read it from the perspective of a "senior" member of the baby boom cohort and recognized that many of his observations do ring true but much of it is simplistic and over-generalized. I have often enjoyed O'Rourke's wit and satire but this one does not rank among his best.
on February 1, 2014
PJ is still one of my favorite writers and can turn a phrase like no other, but this book wasn't as good as his work in "Parliament" or "Holidays in Hell" or even "Peace Kills". Maybe he's recognized that going to crapholes around the world is a game for the young.

There is a lot of musing on days gone by in the book and dedicated O'Rourke readers will see some retelling of stories we've heard before (not uncommon in Baby Boomers) from grandparent-type figures. Being a Reagan Kid, I'm understanding a little more as to why both my father and mother have about a dozen marriages between them and I have only one.

Not his best work, but not his worst, either. Should be required reading for people my age to those larvae graduating from their sixth year in post grad work, clogging up the parking lot at Starbucks.
on June 5, 2016
It gets 5 stars because it's P. J. O'Roark. Insightful, clever, surprising, colorful. It's a memoir of a baby boomer coming-of-age, and it's a political history of America in the Vietnam and Cold Wars, civl rights movement, struggle for women's liberation (that's what we called it) . It's also a polemic on some great ideas of the time that turned out to be kind of stupid in retrospect. I will reread this many times until i squeeze out and fondle every O'Roarkism.