Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

The Bachelor
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$4.95+ $3.99 shipping

on December 11, 2013
Another wonderful album by Patrick Wolf. My best friend and I find that his music is great for brightening our days during those times when we are feeling down and don't want to be consoled. The seemingly dark subject matter is brightened and given a hopeful outlook by the poetic dialogue behind the music. "Theseus" and "Thickets" are surely my favorites, and worth the price of the album alone. You will not be disappointed.
on March 6, 2016
One of my favorite albums EVER, and my favorite Patrick Wolf album. Epic and emotional and gorgeous from start to finish.
on October 23, 2011
This is Patrick Wolf's 4th album and, in my opinion, his best. Gone is the optimism of The Magic Position. The Bachelor marks a return to the darkness, rage, and sorrow of his first two albums. However, while Lycanthropy and Wind in the Wires both reflected a young man's volatile emotions, The Bachelor is entirely adult. There can be no doubt that the artist has grown up, has felt real pain, and has found a mature outlet for his frustrations. This album is haunting and raw with emotion, from the grief of Damaris, to the resignation of the title track, to the rage of Vulture. Patrick is not only an incredibly talented musician, but a poet as well. The lyrics to every song could be printed and read as poetry, unlike many modern artists. Patrick Wolf is refreshingly original, while still clinging to the traditional roots of his craft, focusing on lyricism and musicality, rather than repetitive choruses and obvious rhymes like so many of his peers. Wolf transcends labels and genres. This is a truly brilliant album and should not be missed.
on May 23, 2011
I stumbled upon Patrick Wolf by accident last year when I clicked on his "Hard Times" video on YouTube. I was hooked and purchased "The Bachelor" at once. Patrick's music is hard to classify. He has an enviable grasp on songwriting. He doesn't fit the traditional mold or melodic approach that you hear (i.e., repeating the same chord progressions ad nauseum).

It is my understanding that "The Bachelor" is his darkest work to date, but don't mistake "dark" for "depressing." Even the songs that weigh heavy on the heart leave you with some hope and melodies that are so lofty that you can't help but sing along.

Tilda Swinton steps in as what I can only call a "narrator," speaking interludes and interjecting words of encouragement. This could have come off as cheesy or silly, but given the heft and richness of the accompaniment and the incomparable acting chops Ms. Swinton possesses, even these parts of the album feel perfectly appropriate.

Some of the best tracks on the album are "Hard Times," "Theseus," and "The Messenger." Patrick's upcoming album "Lupercalia" promises to be lighter fare, but I'll always enjoy the dark sweetness of "The Bachelor."
One person found this helpful
on December 9, 2010
I all of Patrick's work, but something about the songs in this album is especially intriguing. The emotion in these songs are breathtaking. I don't know how else to describe it. Each song is like a story with a beginning, middle, and end; so much more than just a catchy chorus and a few fun verses. I heartily recommend this album.
on April 29, 2014
I love this album but the box was all broken. The only good thing is that the cd has no scratches. I will have to look for a new box to keep it in it. I would'nt buy a cd from the seller again.
on November 27, 2009
I got this for my 18 year old daughter and she says she likes it alot.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 15, 2009
If it were left to radio or Billboards charts, my collection would be filled with Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, Lady Gaga, and the like. Thankfully I have sources like British music magazine Q to guide me, so when I saw they gave this album 4 stars, my interest was piqued. I had never heard of Patrick Wolf before this but I must say I am taken by his majestic and beautiful music. It sounds as though it were written for a musical, incorporating classical instruments like ukulele, viola, piano, as well as Celtic and electronic adornments for a dramatic flourish. This is an album I listen to straight through from start to end, and I'll attempt to go through each track to give you a feel of the music.

Opening is the brief instrumental "Kriespiel" which sounds like a spacecraft engine being tuned, leading into the sunny shimmery "Hard times" (think Duran Duran meets David Bowie - He does look like Bowie/Billy Idol stepping out of a time machine on the cover) and the bouncy "Oblivion" (featuring Tilda Swinton as "The Voice of Hope") with skittery electronic beats and cutting strings.

"The Bachelor' (featuring Eliza Carthy) is adapted from a traditional Folk song "Poor Little Turtle Dove." It is (in this case) an androgynous love song about a farmer lamenting his lack of a spouse despite all his wealth in livestock, with Eliza's gravelly voice sounding distinctly masculine. This song is simply awesome! I must point out that unlike Tilda Swinton who provides narration on the songs she appears, Eliza sings a duet with Wolf. "Damaris" is another standout, a sombre Pop song with icy sounding viola and a choppy riff.

With melancholic ukelele sounds and plucked guitars, Thickets (again featuring Tilda Swinton as "The Voice of Hope") has a strong Celtic feel. "Count of casualty" has choir-like harmonies offset by a staccato of electronic pulses. "Who will?" is a more stripped ballad with subtly dramatic strings and electronic flourishes.

"Vulture" is bouncy Electro-Pop with slightly distorted vocals and squelchy effects, while "Blackdown" starts off deceptively as a piano ballad before marching beats, claps and swirling strings sweep in. The lyrics appear to be autobiographical, a monologue with his father - "Get proud of my birthright / think of the things that I must leave / When I leave behind the city and the living, finally".

The Bowie-like "The sun is often out" is a string-swathed ballad with a choir-backed chorus, followed by Theseus (featuring Tilda Swinton as "The Voice of Hope") with sweeping strings and gentle beats. "Battle" is a frenetic rocker, and closing is "The messenger" with a tinkling and chiming intro and interesting electronic beats against a haunting backdrop.

This is what music should be, intelligent, moving, and cerebral!
4 people found this helpful
on August 7, 2014
Years ago, I was downloading free songs randomly from Amazon and one of them happened to be "The Bachelor". I didn't listen to it for over a week, but absently put it into a test playlist before bed one night. After it came on I was hooked, and I bought the album the second I could spell 'able'. I love Patrick Wolf and have all of his albums, as well as every stray song I could find floating around the ether-webs. Wolfling all the way.
on June 28, 2009
Patrick Wolf is a musical genius of the highest order. This album is stunning in it's scope and depth. I can't say enough about this music. There really isn't anyone else out there making music like this...brings to mind various attributes of David Sylvian, Kate Bush, and even Frank Tovey. Dark and melodic, mysterious yet hummable, obtuse but meaningful, brooding yet open...this album is album of the year for me, and Patrick's music in general is spellbinding. One of those artists that will have a small but vigilant following that truly undertands what it means to create "art". I am hooked!
2 people found this helpful