Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 56 reviews
on December 9, 2014
I've known Kari for most of my meat cutting career, and will have to say that "The Art of Beef Cutting" is so detailed, that I have lent my copy to co-workers in helping train them. Kari's father was one of the best meat cutters that I have ever worked with, and she come's from a long history of knowledge. I was also blessed with a long lineage of meat cutters in the family, and have been involved since I can remember, almost 45 years, since I was 10. This Book in my opinion, is one of the best books on cutting beef, that I have ever read. I recommend it for the beginning meat cutter, to the most experienced, and to just the person who wants to know just where their favorite cut of meat comes from. Great for the average shopper for beef purchases, as to what they're purchasing.
on April 15, 2014
As someone who enjoys cooking quite a bit, I've always been somewhat ignorant in the ways of beef cuts. Whenever I go to the grocery store I usually find myself referring to a website on my iPhone when trying to select my next cut for dinner, and it always seemed like the cuts I was seeing in the cooler never matched up with what I needed and/or wanted. Enter The Art of Beef Cutting.

Admittedly this book is probably a bit much for most home cooks. This truly is a textbook for butchers, but if you're interested in learning exactly where each cut of beef comes from, this is the book for you. This is not just a show and tell of the different cuts. This is an instructional manual of how to break down a cow from a full carcass to every individual cut of beef you would find in the supermarket. Each set of directions is clear and simple, and the accompanying pictures are spot on. Now all I need is a bandsaw and a few subprimals and I'll be ready to go!
on June 30, 2015
Truly a must have for someone as myself just starting in the butcher business as well as anyone wanting to learn where their cuts come from, how to cut them, and also how to use them when cooking. Very insightful, educational, and straightforward. The marketing portion of the book is very useful not just to me as a meat cutter but also to the savvy shopper who can read between the lines for figuring out when your local butcher or store meat dept may have sales....hint...hint. Now, I just wish the author would make an accompanying instructional dvd to actually show how the different cuts are performed. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book to anyone!
on April 5, 2017
I have used this book numerous times since I bought it about 5 years ago. Very helpful
on November 19, 2012
I was looking for a book to teach me about beef and how to cut the different types of subprimals, I ended up getting a crash course in butchery. The Art of Beef Cutting is written like a textbook and builds on the information in each subsequent chapter. It is an easy read and written in a style that is easy to digest. If you brought me into a grocery store I could tell you the type of cut, what part of the cow it came from, and the different muscle names in each of the cuts, well the ones I like at least. This book gives you that information and more depending on how much you want to take away from it. Did you know there are 8 USDA grades and within that 4 levels of Prime and 3 levels of choice?

There is no filler in this book. I purchased a copy of Whole Beast Butchery, that book is half recipes and you have pictures of the author breaking down an entire steer/pig/goat FYI.

If you want to learn to break down the 10-20lb subprimals and roasts from Costco or the grocery store, get The Art of Beef Cutting. The books is a large hardcover, and is beautiful.

I recommended you try breaking down a sirloin tip after the first read. It's an inexpensive cut and you can apply almost all of the techniques. Have fun!
on March 12, 2014
I purchased the book hoping to find something to help me understand different cuts of meat and it does just that! Small town girl who's customers deserve to have the right cuts of meat done right! This book is very easy to fallow and is just a great tool to use when cutting meat that you have never dealt with before. I have said many times it has been the best money spent in a long time. I'm glad I took a chance on this book.
on January 13, 2013
We started selling beef at local Farmers Markets and needed a book that would help customers understand which part of the carcass the piece they were buying came from. We routinely use this book as reference material for demonstrating what they are getting. Beautifully illustrated with pictures of all the cuts, how to make them, tools to use, cooking tips and safe handling.

[...]
on November 12, 2016
It's beyong my spectations. I am using It to introduce new cuts in Acapulco and my customers are loving It. Plus, I can now talk about beef and impress about anyone.
on May 3, 2013
This is the best.. you can not go wrong with this one!
There is more INFO in the book that you will find in any other book out there.
on November 28, 2014
Absolutely amazing book! Definitely helped me get a grasp idea on how to break down sub-primals and cuts.
Definitely helps my career as a Meat Cutter at Whole Foods! Definitely recommend.