Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

The Bee's Kiss (Joe Sandilands)
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 26, 2012
As Britain drifts toward a general strike in 1926, Commander Joe Sandilands, home from a long stint in India, is back at Scotland Yard and assigned to handle the death of a dame of the British Empire. At first, it looks like robbery, but events soon make it seem something else. Sandilands and associates find, as they plow into their investigation, that somebody on high does not want them to succeed and, in fact, wants them off the case. Author Cleverly is unsurpassed in painting a picture of the early part of the last century, whether it be in India, Paris or London -- settings of her five books. Not only has she done impeccable research, but she knows how to weave it all together into a formidable police procedural. In Joe Sandilands, Cleverly has given us an unforgettable, irrestible character. In "The Bee's Kiss" she has given us a superlative mystery that will please her fans.
VINE VOICEon May 22, 2010
I've read all of the Joe Sandilands mysteries and am waiting anxiously for the next one. Barbara Cleverly just gets better with each installment. I loved her India novels and was afraid I wouldn't like it as well when she moved Joe to England and later France, but that wasn't the case. This one, set in London in 1926, involves the murder of a society dame that appears at first to be a simple robbery but soon morphs into something more sinister. Joe Sandilands works with two police officers -- one a woman, a rarity in those times -- to wade through the riptide of conflicting evidence. This book introduces a charming young character who will figure more prominently in the next novel. I didn't have a problem with reading them out of order. Cleverly's novels are a fascinating glimpse into the Roaring 20s, but also into the aftermath of WWI and the literal and psychological devastation it wrought on a generation of men and women. I highly recommend this book and the rest of the Sandilands series.
One person found this helpful
on November 2, 2017
This is a book with exceptional characters, a sense of history accurately portrayed, twists and turns, that is character driven rather than plot driven. It is exquisitely done, perhaps the best work in a series of very good books.
on August 15, 2012
I enjoyed the Sandilands mysteries that were set in India more than I enjoyed this one. Perhaps the setting helped move the novel along in the India books. This book is interesting in the way that any mystery novel set in another time and another place is interesting: the reader gains vicarious pleasure from reading about the transportation, communication, furniture, clothing, and customs of that particular era. If you enjoy reading mysteries more for the setting than for the plot, then I think you will like both this book and the other Sandilands novels. But I found the pace slow and the plot not memorable.
One person found this helpful
on May 9, 2017
This is my first experience with this author, and I am grateful to have discovered her. Not only is this well written, but the plot twists are wonderfully interwoven among detailed descriptions of the place and time. Once I finished, and marveled at the ending, I reread it to enjoy the clues I had missed the first time. It was also readable as a stand alone, as I am not familiar with the previous books in the series. I will definitely continue with other titles by Ms. Cleverly.
on August 11, 2017
another Joe Sandilands book - wonderful read
on June 29, 2015
People are definitely devious and this story is full of them. The characters are interesting and the plot is exciting.
on May 28, 2016
A great series and a must read!!
on September 18, 2013
Don't know if I will read the series, but enjoyed the detail and plot of this book.
Had enough twists and turns with interesting characters to keep you turning the
pages.
on March 10, 2015
I didn't care for this book as much as for the books in the series set in India. Barbara Cleverly did her research on India at the turn of the century and provided a lot of fascinating detail. However, even though this book is set in England, I can't fault her writing, which is up to her usual excellent standards.,