Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 1, 2014
This book was disappointing. The information was what you would expect from magazine articles -nothing more. As someone who just hit 50, I wanted something more substantial.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
on March 19, 2017
It was good, I was expecting more fashion advice, but if you want a well-rounded map to the after 50 years, this one is for you!! Health, wealth, cosmetics and fashion advice. Recommend.
2 helpful votes
on January 15, 2011
I am a nurse, over 50 with a very busy life. My last daughter recently graduated and secured a job and suddenly , I woke up and looked at myself in the mirror. Suddenly, I have time to look at ME and realized there has been areas of my life that have become a "quick routine". My curly hair I have fought all my life, my weight, time for exercise, my clothing--much are the same things I have worn over and over. This book woke me up and sparked me into changing little by little. I just finished the book and now I am going back and will chisel at the areas in my life that I hope will help me to be "the best of everything after 50". I have placed the book as a reference on my desk in my room and each week I am working on a particular subject...This book is well written with great health information, beauty information and is very well referenced. Each chapter summarizes the content which makes it easy to refer back to key points. I highly recommend this book to those over 50 and those approaching the best years of their lives!
22 comments|Report abuse
on January 3, 2014
Sure sign of a riveting book is when you want to read more but the book has ended. I found so many useful tips in this guide, despite living in another country (Australia). Fun, relevant and I loved all the personal information which made it so easy to engage with this book. Thank you.
Ruth Rosamond
on March 6, 2013
I liked the way Barbara presented her info. I recently got a copy of How Not to Look Old but I think I gleaned a lot more information that I could actually use from this book. I visit the author's webpage frequently for more product reviews - I really feel the reviews she offers are spot on for us baby boomers and it has saved me some cash by checking to see what products in a particular category she recommends first!
on July 28, 2017
A great resource book for women over 50 with lots of wonderful advice. I would highly recommend.
on March 19, 2015
It was very informative. Information on almost every topic. I hope she writes another book. I wish it covered a little on making new friendships after divorce. I don't have any family or single girlfriends who I can hang out with. My friends are married and busy with their spouses.
on March 15, 2011
I can't even begin to list how many ways Barbara's book has changed my life, and for the better. I turned 50 in May, 2010 and found Barbara on Facebook through a friend. I bought her book, and began reading it right away. I found the tone of the book to be encouraging, uplifting and full of wonderful advice....the best part is that Barbara called in experts to back up her advice! No need to re-invent the wheel! From make up tips to workout advice, Barbara covers so many useful topics, especially for those of us 50 and older. I

One of the best parts of the book for me was Barbara's walk/run program, and I began that program a couple of months after I turned 50. I ran my first 5K eight days after I started her program, and I was hooked. I even ran a half marathon in December! I still run 4 -5 days a week, and while my runs are not 100% running, I've learned that just moving our bodies is so important....I wouldn't be where I am today without Barbara's advice and support!

One of the reasons I'm so surprised that I am still running is that I have severe fibromyalgia, and have had it for over 10 years. The first years I was basically bed-ridden, and couldn't do much of anything. Reading Barbara's book made me realize that I still had a lot of living left to do, and I slowly began to implement her workout program. The first day I ran, I couldn't go more than 10 seconds...and I'll never forget the day I ran for 60 minutes straight! I'm now hooked on running and look forward to my run days....getting the fresh air, sunshine and exercise ~ what could be better!

An additional bonus from this is that I have lost 30 pounds since I started running....without really changing my diet. I am more aware of what I eat, and how much I eat, but I have slowly lost the pounds. I feel so much better, love the compliments I'm getting, and don't feel like I'm 50! I still have to take medication for my fibromyalgia, and have days where I don't get much done, but Barbara's encouragement is contagious, and I just do the best I can.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve their life, their routine, learn beauty tips and workout advice ~ plus more. No one is going to do it for you ~ you still have to do the work. But the structure, the common sense, the wonderful advice that Barbara provides makes it easy....she truly walks her walk!!!

I can't thank Barbara enough for writing this book...it has changed my life. I refer back to it often, I have sticky notes everywhere, and I've either purchased or recommended it to many of my friends, who share my enthusiasm for the book. I even bought it on my Kindle so I could take it with me when I travel! I encourage everyone to buy this book and "friend" Barbara on Facebook ~ she is constantly writing new articles to empower women, and is a wonderful person. I am so grateful to have found her and her wonderful book. Thank you Barbara!!!
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on November 11, 2015
was looking for a little more detailed information. A lot of generic information.
on May 27, 2014
This book has a lot of helpful hints. I was looking for something a bit more hands on like contouring etc. but I enjoyed the authors take on life after 50