Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Best of the Moody Blues: 20th Century Masters-(Millennium Collection)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

"Knock, Knock" (Who's There?) "Ivana" (Ivana who?) "Ivana know vat you vere tinking ven you bought dis CD, dummkopf!"
Listen, don't be suckered into buying these chintzy 20th Century Masters products. Nine times out of ten there's a better alternative. That's certainly true here.
For a mere $ more you can get The Best of the Moody Blues, which not only includes all eleven songs from the 20th Century Masters CD, but also six additional songs: 1)"Go Now" from the original Moody Blues (and a top 10 in the U.S. in 1965), 2)"Tuesday Afternoon (Forever Afternoon)," the second single from Days of Future Passed, 3)"Voices in the Sky," 4)"Isn't Life Strange," 5)"Blue Guitar," a Justin Hayward solo single from 1975 and 6)"Forever Autumn," a Justin Hayward single from Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds in 1978. These are all terrific songs and certainly make a better single-disc retrospective.
55 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2001
Any, repeat, ANY Moody Blues greatest hits or best of compilation in the world is better than this piece of crap, yet another in the series of "Millenium" cd's where 10 or 11 random singles are carelessly thrown onto a cd.
Can you possibly take seriously a Moody Blues best-of that includes "Slide Zone" and "Blue World" and OMITS "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Isn't Life Strange"?! I mean, HELLO! We're lucky they even included "Nights in White Satin" at this rate!... Trust me, if you want a greatest hits set for the Moodies, get the "Best Of" cd or, even better (if you wanna spend a few extra bucks) the Anthology. This cd is most certainly NOT worth the investment.
55 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2000
What in the world would anyone do with another Moody Blues greatest hits package? I am a big fan of the band, but I can't see rereleasing the same old tracks over and over again. There are not even any bonus tracks or rarities. There are much better greatest hits collections out there that show more of the band's depth and talent - buy one of those.
on August 8, 2014
The Moody Blues were an excellent Band in their time, Although they were a little mellow I still enjoyed their style of music. I mix them with my Pink Floyd music on my MP3 player and it works. I pride myself in my music mixing. I am as good as any professional DJ, When I mix the music one song just bleeds into another and it's beautiful. I wrote this review on 8 / 10 / 14
Today I listened to my mix, My MP3 player was set on manual mix and mixed the Moody Blues with my early Pink Floyd, It was a great mixture with different songs off of Ummagumma and Saucer Full of Secretes. I could not have done it better. It was like it normally belonged with each other. Both bands were just genius. If you folks out there enjoy these type's of music, You might just try the mix yourself I truly believe you will enjoy these amazing bands
on May 28, 2015
I will admit to originally buying this for Nights in White Satin, but as I listened to it I remembered so many more songs. This is a great introduction to their music and the price is fantastic. If you are looking for a general greatest hits, this is a good place to start. Die hard fans will likely already have most of the songs on this album.
on March 18, 2015
Reasons to Hear This Album:
1. Nights in White Satin
2. Question
3. I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)
4. The Voice
5. Your Wildest Dreams
6. Gemini Dream
7. I Know You're Out There Somewhere
8, Ride My See-Saw
9. The Story in Your Eyes
on April 24, 2005
This is a good length compilation of some of the British rock group's more well known songs. Personally I'm not in favour of gargantuan 30 song compilations. There's no way you're going to play something of that length right through. Back in the LP days, a record side lasted 15 - 25 mins. After that, only occasionally would you go on to play side 2. If you're wanting a disc crammed with material, the recently released 'Gold' is your best bet. Thankfully 'Go now' isn't on this compilation. It is from a former incarnation of the Moodies and really doesn't fit with any of their subsequent material.

The song sequence is chronologic here, and starts therefore with their most well known song 'Nights in white satin'. It's great to start a Cd with such a potent number. The first 5 songs come from their progressive rock period (first seven albums, 1968 - 72) and the remainder from 1977 to the present day. While the 68 - 72 period yielded the more essential music with each of the first seven LPs basically flawless, this compilation is only looking at songs that were or could have been singles. The quality of the songwriting and production is very good throughout. If you're more into the cosmic, poetic, introspective, haunting, Moody compositions then you're not going to like the orchestrated rock and roll of 'Just a singer' or the synthesised plodding of 'Gemini dream.' But everyone's 11 song Moody compilation is going to be different. Generally this one is consistent, evocative, melodic multichordal pop rock. A great buy if you want a digestible chunk of high profile Moody songs.
VINE VOICEon July 24, 2012
In 1999, Universal International released this album, a mere three years after PolyGram released their Very Best of the Moody Blues. Why another Best Of album? Money. The Moody Blues were awesome, and chances are pretty good that any album with their name on the cover will sell big.

This album is nothing more than a stripped-down version of The Best Of The Moody Blues, with all of its tracks appearing on that album, plus six more. This isn't a bad album, it's just that with that other one out there, I don't know why you would buy this one.

(Review of The Best of the Moody Blues: 20th Century)
on December 7, 2002
Getting 11 tracks from one of the world's most respected and enduring rock bands ...(£8) is excellent value by any measure. Speaking as an Englishman in England, I wouldn't have bothered reviewing this item except that (a) it's not available in Britain and (b) Amazon's own editorial review is so long on self-esteem and so short on reality that I felt something had to be done to redress the balance. So I give this compilation 5 stars when, musically, it's perhaps really only worth four stars.
It's not just that the negative reviews are so full of silly crap that they shoot themselves in the foot, it's more that this item is already a collector's item. I'll take more notice of reviewers who savagely criticise The Moody Blues when they've written more than 290 tracks and have been at the top of the music profession for 25 years.
Hot air indeed.
on June 22, 2003
The Best of the Moody Blues: The Millenium Collection is a very good CD for fans of the group. Most of their more popular songs are there which includes my favorite,"Question." The rest of the tracks include "Nights in White Satin", "Ride My See-Saw", "The Story in Your Eyes", "I'm Just a Singer", "Steppin' in a Slide Zone", and several others. The CD is very good for fans, but if you have a separate Best of album for the Moody Blues, I would stick with that one because it probably offers more. This CD only offers eleven tracks so it might be better for fans of the band who don't know much about them. Still a pretty good CD for fans of the Moody Blues!