Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 104 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 122 reviews
on December 24, 2015
I can clearly see why some of these never made print in The New Yorker...they're raunchy and pretty dang funny. The cartoons are pretty much what you'd expect to NOT see, since they would offend some people in a politically-correct world. I don't get the point of the Q&A with the cartoonists, in my opinion, they're unnecessary and take away from the overall humor of the book. I compare them to those annoying speed-humps you see in the street in your neighborhood...they slow you down from what you want to get to. Skip over them unless you're curious, but they're just not funny...so they cost the book a star from me. A good laugh never hurt anyone.
on December 12, 2011
Laugh-out-loud funny, surely these might have been picked up by another periodical, but then maybe we never would have seen them all here - with that "too dumb, too dark, or too naughty" imprimatur. Actually, looking even more closely now at the cartoons that DO make it into the New Yorker, I'm sometimes at a loss to see why many of this collection didn't make it. There's also a lot of left-handed insight into the cartooning process, how each artist approaches it differently, and even more bizarre, a lot of unexpected similarities in outlook from this motley, and hugely talented, crew. It makes me want to go back and re-read James Thurber's My Years With Ross and see what he had to say about the process. A great book (I bought 6 copies: 1 for me and 5 for Xmas gifts) at a great price.
on December 6, 2011
The Best of the Rejection Collection: 293 Cartoons That Were Too Dumb, Too Dark, or Too Naughty for The New Yorker A collection of cartoons that were too (anything) for The New Yorker can't be all bad. You have to look at some of these cartoons for a couple of minutes until the penny drops; then the cost of the collection suddenly becomes a bargain. Honestly, it was all I could do to keep from laughing.
on April 6, 2017
I really liked the artists' questionnaire and Bob's answers at the end. Really great book for anyone who likes The New Yorker cartoons. It is a "best of" collection from the other 2 rejection collection books, so if you have the others don't bother getting this one. If not, this is a great substitute at a lower price.
on May 21, 2015
Rating humor is difficult because humor is so personal. There's a little Q&A for each cartoonist before their cartoons.
The funniest cartoon to me was the one listed at the beginning as "Reason #7 - Too Dumb".
For some reason, I thot Gahan Wilson had died several years ago. Sorry, Mr. Wilson.
How about a book of just desert island cartoons?
Only enough really funny cartoons to me for 3 stars.
on December 1, 2014
A wonderful look into the sometimes crazy and ditzy minds of many of the best cartoonists in the country. Their rejected work is priceless. Each famous cartoonist has answered an eccentric survey provided by the author of this book with idiosyncratic comments and drawings that really reveal much about the personality of the folks that "dream this stuff up." After each survey response is a double-page spread of the cartoonist's rejected work -
If you're any kind of comedy fan, this book is your insiders seat at the Funny Mind Roundtable.
I found it laugh-out-loud funny.
--JP
on November 11, 2014
Was expecting more comics and less commentary, but still a good value. From the cover, it appears that it reproduces the rejected comics - but it consists mainly of interviews with the artists with a few comics per interview. Interesting, but I would probably not buy had I known ahead of time.
on March 19, 2012
The product information is not clear about this. Most of the material appeared in The Rejection Collection volumes one and two. There is some original material - depending on your tastes it may be worth your while. But be forewarned: if you love the Rejection Collections, this is not a new volume. Of course, if you really, really love them, you will find a small amount of original material in the same vein as the first two books.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2017
Someone had one at work & the ones they were sharing were hilarious. Could have been my mood when I read my copy, found some funny & I have a pretty dry sense of humor, but overall, just OK.
on March 9, 2017
Forget your troubles, just read this book! A laugh and a half per page.