Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12DoD - Beauty Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services RestaurantPV RestaurantPV RestaurantPV  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Metallica Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 369 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on July 28, 2011
So happy with this cookbook. The first chapter has basic cupcake and frosting recipes with no frills. The following chapters are chock full with interesting recipes and decorating ideas. The flavors are exciting and fun and I can't wait to make more cupcakes more often.

The decorating ideas are fun and not so complicated that I won't be able to achieve a reasonable likeness to the pictures.

The recipes give extra tips and tell you how you can use a box of cake mix if you don't want to make them from scratch. The one recipe I've tried so far (candy bar cupcakes) was extremely easy. The most complicated things I had to do was separate eggs and test for doneness with a toothpick.

Some of the recipes use the basic cupcake / frosting recipe and then add other ingredients to make them different & original.

I would definitely recommend this cookbook for anyone who likes to bake but is tired of the same old boring recipes.

*******Update 11.01.11 - I've been making cupcakes about twice a month now since I've purchased this book and get rave reviews for each new recipe. The added ingredients definitely change the flavors and the decorating (so far) is a snap.

I would recommend if you're going to start making cupcakes more often that you buy a few accessories to make putting the batter into the pan and frosting easier. I've purchased a simple decorating bag with two different large tips - with this I can frost 24 cupcakes in minutes and they look professional. I also love the 'batter scoops' I've purchased. It helps ensure that my cupcakes are of a consistent size - which again makes them look prettier in the end.
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2011
My 15 year old daughter loves making recipes from this book! The root beer cupcakes are our favorite so far. The chocolate-peanut butter are fantastic.
I like the fact that most of the recipes have an alternative "box cake" recipe with them. The pictures are bright and colorful.
on December 5, 2012
This book is "ok" if you plan to buy the suggested Betty Crocker mix and use it. I Regret making this purchase. There are recipes to follow if you want to make them from scratch but for some reason they don't come out nicely or even remotely similar to the 'real thing'. (Yes, I followed all measurements and times precisely.) It seems like this is a nice way to get persons to buy more of the Betty Crocker cake mixes...

I would not recommend this for anybody serious about baking or cupcakes for that matter... if it's for a kid who's just learning or you want to have fun with them fine.

The pros... has nice frosting recipes and decorative tips with photos.
The cons... the recipes need help! (Your better off buying their mix to go along with the frosting!)

Layout, Designs and Visuals= 5 stars, everything else is 2-3 at best.
on October 3, 2011
The book has a good selection of cupcakes you can make but after making about 7 or 8 different recipes from this book I noticed that they all taste pretty much the same. I was expecting so stand out flavors but instead they just remind me of any old cupcake you can buy at any grocery store. I was hoping for much better.
The Betty Crocker Big Book of Cupcakes starts off telling about how the first commercial cupcake was introduced in 1919 and goes onto tell about how to bake them, frost them, decorate them and how to store them. The book goes onto offer up basic recipes on how to bake and frost them. Later chapters specialize in bake sales, kid's party cupcakes, holiday cupcakes and special-occasion cupcakes. There is a metric conversion guide found at the back of the cookbook.

Some of the basic recipes you will find in this cookbook include:

Yellow Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes
Vanilla Buttecream Frosting
Fluffy White Frosting
Decorator Icing

Some of the other recipes you will find include:

Adorable Applesauce Cupcakes (uses a included Applesauce cupcake recipe and uses the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe)
Surprise Cupcake Cones
Mr. Mouse Party Cupcakes
Chirping Chick Cupcakes (I'm thinking about making these for Easter dinner)
Merry Holiday Ornament Cupcakes
Wedding Cupcakes
Baby Rattle Cupcakes
Sunflower Cupcakes
Key Lime Cupcakes

As you can see there are many choices to choose from. Best of all the cookbook is filled with plenty of color images illustrating the recipes. You will also find an interactive table of contents making navigation easy.

Recommend.
on July 1, 2016
This book has 4 basic cupcake recipes and 6 recipes for icing.
The rest of the book uses these recipes as ingredients - for example Turtle Topped Cupcakes require yellow cupcakes, buttercream frosting, and store bought candy. I'd estimate 75% of the book is combining the first 10 recipes with different store bought candy or food coloring. Every recipe has a "tip" that tells you to how to use a cake mix instead of baking from scratch.

There ARE some nice variations (Butternut Squash Cupcakes, Aztec Chocolate, and Spiced Caramel Pear) but overall this book is written to sell cake mix and it's little too obvious about it.
on July 22, 2014
This book is amazing! For anyone who sees bad reviews and doubts this book I can give you my advice and say not to listen! It contains seemingly endless recipes for young bakers especially, and inspires creativity with a beautiful color picture beside each idea. Next to each recipe there is always a useful tip for perfecting your creation, wether it's for the frosting, filling, or garnish. For people just starting to get into the fun world of baking, this book inspires creativity and contains many wonderful tips and ideas that can turn any beginner into a master. I have nothing bad to say about THE BIG BOOK OF CUPCAKES, and I fully recommend it.
on July 18, 2016
I love this book! I checked it out of the library and then used so many recipes from it I decided I had to have my own copy. I like how many of the recipes are "from scratch" recipes, and then there is a cake mix version for quicker turnaround or for those who don't feel as comfortable in the kitchen baking from scratch. The section on holiday cupcakes is especially fun.
on August 20, 2014
The recipes themselves are great, however the book fell apart on the 3rd time opening it. Good thing the pages are numbered so I could at least put it back in order. I've had other cookbooks for years and be perfect. Very disappointed. Will have to find something to store the pages in so they don't get lost.
on July 25, 2011
i just want to said, that this was the best buy that i did i love it... the recipes are truly simples, really amazing cup cakes in both ways from the scratch and from the box cake... i taste 4 recipes from this booth and i am more than happy with that and my family enjoy it a lot. right now i am making another recipes for my boss birthday party!! :)