Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(1 star). See all 193 reviews
on January 25, 2014
I was turning 50 when I bought this book. I thought it would be a hoot. It was a romance novel. Gag.
on February 17, 2012
This book was just downright stupid. It started out okay, but the further along I got the worse it became. By the end I disliked it so much I deleted it from my kindle account so no one else would read it by mistake.
on January 30, 2011
The teaser for this book was much better than the actual novel. Dealing with cancer would have added a more interesting conflict than the cliched romance included in the book. The relationship between the main characters felt much too contrived and devoid of chemistry. The main conflict was "I met a man who lives in another state... oh what shall I do???" and frankly, I couldn't bring myself to care. The Prudence quotes were inane. I slogged through til the end since I had paid for this book (unlike some of the luckier reviewers who seem to have gotten it free) and was quite relieved when I was through with it and could move on to something much more compelling.
on February 16, 2012
I downloaded this book because I thought it would be a funny book about a 50 year old woman. And it was at the start, but by the first few chapters in it simply turned into a cheesy romance novel. I have no desire to read kiss and tell stories. I deleted the book from my kindle. I wish they had ratings on books so we'd know what content is in the book before we start reading it.
on November 23, 2010
i read 3 chapters and deleted it from my kindle. chock-full of cliches and stupid coincidences. wanted to rate it 0 stars, but amazon forces at least 1 star.

i got it free. that's the best i can say about it.
on October 18, 2010
This book was terrible, and although I'm glad it was free when I picked it up, I'm still annoyed that I wasted so much time reading it.

The plot is boring and predictable, and the main character is weak and unlikeable. The chapter openings with Prudence the Donkey's little life lessons were annoying at best, and while I didn't know the book was Christian fiction when I first received it, that became very obvious within the first few pages.

I wanted desperately to put The Big 5-OH! down after the first couple of chapters, but I refuse to review a book I haven't read in its entirety, so I slogged away at it - just so I could give this the single star it deserved, since I'd been grossly mislead by the 4.5 star average rating this book had when I picked it up. I am still shocked that so many people read and enjoyed this book.

BOTTOM LINE: I don't expect much from light fiction (especially free fiction!), but I certainly expected more than this.
11 comment| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 3, 2010
Pros: This book was free.
Cons: Everything else - plus I cannot get the four hours of my life back reading this dribble.

I've never written a book review before on Amazon.com. However the quality of this book and the reviews for it (@time of writing 4.5 stars) are so completely incongruous, I can't help but make some comments.

This book was offered free through Kindle which was a good thing because it would be a shame to kill a tree for this monumental pile of doggy-doo-doo (to put it politely).

The simple plot: sexy middle aged nurse who is a cancer survivor meets sexy middle aged doctor on a vacation and they fall in love. Throw in some supposedly humorous situations (farting dog.... ha ha), a lot of praying, and that's it.

As a novel, it is offensive in multiple ways: both the main characters are annoyingly ``perfect`` to the point that they are unbelievable (ie, insecure ridiculous(ahhh... I am dying because I have leg cramps) redhead who gets hit on by multiple men through out the novel including the son of the male protagonist who is in his 20s...oh please!), they are supposed to be health care professionals but don`t act like it at all (doctor travelling to see a patient while bringing his girlfriend along... nurses becoming a receptionist... all the sudden change jobs from being an OR nurse to pediatric clinic without any additional training... hello! this does not happen!), the use of deux ex machina one too many times to resolve problems (oh we don`t live in the same city... well, let`s just randomly find a job for you out of the blue even though you do not have the appropriate qualifications!).

Emotionally, this one left me stone cold. Too bad Amazon doesn`t let their customers give zero stars.
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 20, 2012
I have read 2 of the Always the... and they were ok--had possibility to be good, so I thought I'd try this one.

I was NOT warming up to the story - and then on page 58 there is an error.
"Liv and Jared came around the corner" Should be Doris the patient- Liv was back at the vacation home.

I think I made it to page 69 before I gave up and picked up another book.

Yes, I didn't give it a fair chance-- My opinion, it doesn't deserve any more of my time.
on October 6, 2010
Clearly the writer's main purpose for writing this book was Christian witness. Otherwise it might have been interesting to read. It was not a lack of sex that disappointed me. It was a lack of any surprises in the plot. Unfortunately the only clever episode was shamelessly appropriated from a well known urban legend that's at least two years older than this book. If you are looking for depth, skip this book.
55 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse