Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 101 reviews
on June 6, 2017
This is my 4th version of this book. I have been using this book for 25 years or more for reference on top 40 records. Being a DJ for years helped and just putting together classic cd collections by using this book helps me keep all my records,cd's and LP's in correct order because of the years and the dates I list. You can find what records made the top 40 from 1955 all the way up to 2009. Now after 2000 you have a lot of rap and hip hop records if you are into that or if the files your looking for are from the 60's 70's 80's or the 50's this book is for you. I swear by it.Why have I bought 3 versions before this one...I wore them out.
on April 2, 2017
This book was a vital source of information when I was in the radio business. I've worn out two copies over the past twenty-plus years and am now on my third copy. Being a music lover with an appetite for knowledge of Top 40 chart history, I purchased this one to enjoy in my leisure time.

Thanks to Joel Whitburn and his staff for their diligence in compiling the chart information in this book. There are many variations of Billboard chart info books in print, but this is the most valuable and basic reference source available. It contains the info you need and the layout makes it easy to use. If you're into music research or just hungry for personal info about your favorite songs, this is the book you want. There has been a copy of this book in every radio control room I've ever stepped into. I honestly don't know what I would have done without this book and the valuable information it contains.
on January 19, 2017
If you're a fan of Pop Music btwn 1955-2009 this is one of the BEST books ever to buy for yourself or as a gift. You'll hear a song on the radio you haven't heard in a long while, will open the book to find out where it charted and will find yourself 30 minutes later leafing through it looking up songs/bands you love. It's mind-blowing. Discovering that The Who only ever peaked at #9 while other one hit wonders only charted in the Top 40 once and peaked at #1? It's awesome. I own this book and have given it as a gift to a bunch of people and it's always a BIG hit. I've read that this Vol. (Vol. 9) is the last one to be printed. I also own Vol. 8 and that's just as great. Grab one of these (all of the ones I've purchased I bought used through Amazon) before they become even harder/more expensive to find. They're definitely worth it!
on April 24, 2017
Through the years, I have always used The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits as essentially a Bible for my music knowledge. I owe so much to Joel Whitburn and the research that he has done for all of his books...Thank you! If you are a music lover like me, this book is ESSENTIAL in your collection!
on March 25, 2017
If you've ever wanted to be a disc jockey or host a countdown of your own, this book is a bible unto you. It's an absolute necessity for those who listened to "American Top 40" back in the day. The Billboard chart used to be reverenced and revered. Now everyone uses Mediabase.
on February 23, 2014
Music lovers will definitely find this book a "must-have". As you flip through the pages, you will get to remember that long-forgotten song you used to listen back in the day, how popular it was and when it reached its peak position at the Billboard's top 40. The book is essentially organized by artist and their chart achievements, but there are also smaller sections where song titles are organized alphabetically (with its peak position and year), #1 songs by year (and # of weeks at the position) and artist rankings based on chart performance. So all that means that regardless of your research criteria, you will probably find this book friendly and easy to navigate. It's been great not only to read, but also to build my music library organized by dates and discover "new" old songs I've never paid attention to. If you subscribe to one of these streaming services and plan to build an entirely different playlist to share and enjoy, this book might be of great help.
on May 19, 2013
I've been using Joel Whitburn's books since I was in middle school (and they were a lot thinner back then). They're a great resource for anyone who works with music as a DJ or who just loves music trivia. I have the Kindle edition, which is perfect for what I do. I carry it everywhere in my Kindle PaperWhite and my Nexus 7. For serious work, I use the Cloud Reader. The Kindle navigation is very helpful.

This edition lists every song to ever hit the Billboard Top 40 and has a nice index in the back with a list of #1 hits broken down by year and the top 25 songs of each decade. I use these to build my playlists and find music to add to my collection. There's also a great index of the top artists by decade and of all time along with the scoring matrix to explain it.

The only thing I'd like to see added is a copy of the Billboard End of Year Top 100 charts for each year. Also, because the "Top 40" has become a train wreck of music since about 1990, I'd like to see a similar compilation done for the "Hot AC" format, but that's just me.
on November 6, 2010
This book is probably the greatest single reference for the modern popular music fan. The last edition of "Top 40 Hits" that I owned only covered up to 1990, and it was around 600 pages long. This new edition goes all the way up to 2009 and it's huge---900 pages---almost a third longer. I have been without one of these Whitburn "Top 40" references for a while and I had forgotten how much I missed having it as a music listening tool. With this book you can identify your favorite top 40 hit record (from 2009 back to 1955) when you hear it on the radio, or just look up your favorite song titles to see when they were hits, and learn their peak chart position. Or you can see just how many of your favorite band or artist's songs made it to Top 40 hit status. The thoroughness of Whitburn's research is unbelievable! In this latest edition there is still trivia about many of the bands and artists including listings of many bandmembers and their previous and subsequent musical involvement. And in the hands of a skilled music programmer, this book is a powerful programming tool. So it is both entertaining and useful. I guess it's all a matter of perspective, but since I received my copy it has never been up on the shelf. It is out on the table, and used almost constantly. This was some of the best reference book money I have spent in a long time.
on June 16, 2014
I just updated my copy from about 1999. This is a go-to reference tool arranged by artist (with all charted hits), which comprises approx. 3/4 of the book, then lists for alpha song titles, date, and a few other cross-referenced lists of interest. Snippets of history and trivia of artists and groups. Hours of fun!
on June 29, 2016
Having owned a previous edition of this work that ran through 2000 I was pleasantly surprised to find this edition which adds another 10 years of data. I have a huge collection of digital music and this book has been invaluable to me in getting it all catalogued. I recommend this book for anyone interested in the history of popular music, from band membership and short bios to chart results.