Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 24, 2013
I am not currently reading this book since it is in Boston and I am in Seattle; and I travel back and forth. However, I see this book as equivalent to a college course in history, as the author explains in depth each aspect he discusses, setting the stage for the developments that move the world closer to our modern times. The period after Napoleon's rule of about 20 years, was like an explosion of forward movement. The author examines this unusual thrust towards modern times. I am not giving it 5 stars, because of the fact that I can only assimilate so much of the tremendous volume of information at one sitting. So it is slow going for me sometimes. The other reason is that the author's use of wording when it is a negative about the United States is not exactly the same as his wording when it is a negative about Britain, so although he may be absolutely correct factually, I suspect a bit of subjective thinking along those lines, and being an American, I see it and have to overlook it. I almost put the book down because of it, but then thought maybe I am equally subjective and I would rather be informed. I can't imagine finding a better book to inform myself of this very important part of our history.
on December 24, 2016
Paul Johnson's books are a must when we study history!!! Every page is interesting, when he is narrating history, not only conveying facts about events in the past.
on June 8, 2013
Johnson ends this history in 1830 and Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "Locksley Hall" was written in 1835 I which in a few stanzas he foresees airpower, radio and perhaps Esperanza. The impact of the originality and pace of inventions and leaps in technology must have made an impression on every sentient citizen of the nations of Western Europe, England and North America. I have made it a practice of giving this book to the smart and curious among my friends, close relatives and grandchildren.
on November 16, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this and learned so much from it. Reads like a novel. Many good excerpts from the journals of historical figures, details woven together to present many big ideas. Each section builds on the last. This is a book to own and return to, regardless of your own particular interest area. Students of American, and Russian, Latin American, Asian history, as well as of course European and UK history, will find much of interest here.
on October 10, 2012
I finally bought this book; kept having to renew at the library, because I only read it in 5-10 page bits. It is extremely interesting...absolutely amazed at the complexity of the world at this time...I thought that our times were careening! Guess that the human condition is just always FRAUGHT! If it's not ice ages, massive plagues, or genocide; it's something else...!
on July 20, 2017
Excellent, as I would expect from Paul Johnson.
on October 14, 2017
Great historian.
on March 16, 2013
Outstanding book. Paul Johnson does a great job of telling us how many things that have become part of the modern world were getting their starts in the years around 1815. Highly recommended. This book should be taught in high schools and colleges.
on May 15, 2017
Excellent book. A great look at how our modern world developed.
on January 22, 2017
Book was in great condition. This 1000-page book is very detailed.