Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$10.49

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on August 6, 2011
I never heard Machine Head before "The Blackening", but once i heard this album, I became an instant fan. This album is by far in the top 5 of the best albums ever produced. Machine Head said they were aiming to create this generation's Master of Puppets, and in my opinion they surpassed their goal. Each song has intelligent lyrics which explain their emotions about the world. Rob Flynn's voice is phenomenal, especially in "A Farewell To Arms". I bought the original album because it was the only version available at the music store. Then i saw the Special Edition here on Amazon and just had to get it. Great album along with 2 bonus tracks, both covers: one of Metallica's Battery and the other of Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name. It comes with a bonus dvd which is totally worth it. A good bit of live footage, music videos, and the making of. Incredible album all together. I recommend this to anyone looking for unique, crushing music with amazing vocals. I would also recommend Machine Head's album "Through the Ashes of Empires", Metallica's album "And Justice For All", Kamelot's "The Black Halo, Epica's "Design Your Universe", and Jeff Loomis instrumental album "Zero Order Phase"
on April 20, 2007
Machine Head blew out of the gates in 1994 with their debut album, "Burn My Eyes", widely considered one of the best metal albums of the '90s. After several albums in which MH experimented with their style (with mixed results), many wondered if they could ever achieve the heights reached earlier in their career. As "The Blackening" proves, they can even surpass it.

Perhaps the fans have been unfair to Machine Head....I thought that their follow-up to their initial album "The More Things Change..." was a very solid metal platter, and other subsequent releases, such as "Burning Red" and "Supercharger" were still decent, just flirting with other styles such as rap-metal and industrial, which didn't really gel with the bands' super-heavy, aggresssive neo-thrash metal. What makes "The Blackening" so special is the fact that the band have finally settled into playing what they want to play, and have begun pushing themselves musically into almost progressive metal directions- lengthy, complex and epic compositions, intense instrumental interludes and interplay between instruments and band members, and crazy, out-of-control shred soloing. They absolutely blow their previous work out of the water with this disc, and it is quite an exhilirating ride, at times.

Lyrically, conceptually, and musically, this is miles above anything they have ever done. One listen to "The Aesthetics Of Hate" was enough for me...classic metal nihilism and agression, super heavy riffing, and a huge, intense crescendo of almost neo-classical-style guitar harmony combined with a modern "metalcore" sensibility building to a huge climax. Very, very cool. This is MH at their best, proving that they can hold their own against any other metal band out there. Awesome. Highest recommendation. I've been a fans since the beginning, and this is the Machine Head album I've always wanted.
on March 20, 2015
This is headed towards being one of my forever classics. It is a bit older but you can hear the beginnings of some seriously fast moving music. The key to doing that right is to never lose the melody for the sake of being fast. When done right fast happens and helps tell the story or create the proper emotion that the writer intends. And I like ripping guitar work. You don't see that much anymore.
on May 13, 2007
Buy it, is the only advise!! i have been a Head fan since 94-95 when BME blew my head away, loved TMTC, and then everything came down... until TTAOE, amazing album, i played it all the time (still do) and when i heard about The Blackening i was excited but also at the expectation because they might as well not match TTAOE. but everything was left behind after i listened to it. every song is amazing, really technical and complex, showing great musicianship and balance, great lyrics, robb shows a very strong and adaptable voice, great solos and complementing guitars, and bass & drums hard as stone.

only thing i did not like: i felt it was too short, i wanted more!!! hey you have a 62 minutes album but think is too short? still want more? - thinking again it is a plus!! it leaves the taste in your mouth.

this is a no thinker! got to have it!
on June 7, 2014
This album has been a staple in all of my music catalogues (cd, mp3 etc) so this beautiful vinyl was a must for my collection. Machine Head put themselves back on the map for me personally with this exquisite and timeless album. A far cry from Burn My Eyes for anyone who had discarded them due to that album. I think there is a song on here for every metal fan. I love them all.
on August 24, 2008
This review is for the Japanese version with bonus dvd.Ever since Phil Demmel joined Machine Head from "Through the ashes of empires"They are just getting better and better! Phil used to jam with Robb Flynn when they were in a band called Violence back in the late 80's. I feel this is there best album to date If you are a fan of Machine Head and like stuff like "Burn My Eyes" there first album I know you'll dig this stuff! It's just as brutal with very focused anger in all the right places,there's also excellent guitar riffing between Robb & Phil on this one.As for the product itself You get a bonus track of Metallica's Battery and some cool behind the scenes making of the album and them on the Blackening tour!
on January 26, 2017
This album kicks complete ass. Melodic and thoughtful, but heavy as Hell in places.
on November 23, 2012
This collection is fantastic and Includes 2 bonus tracks of classic tracks "Hallowed be thy name" by Iron Maiden and Battery" by Metallica. In addtion, the DVD features are fantastic with songs from 4 shows total including The 10th anniversary show for the release of "Burn my eyes"
on April 22, 2016
Machine Head has come along way, and The Blackening is by far my favorite album next to Burn My Eyes.
on October 16, 2009
This is epic metal. I can not get enough of this cd. I play it at the gym, I play it at home, and in the car. Truly one of the best albums I've ever heard. I'll go as far to say it is better than Burn My Eyes. Good to see the dvd was not a cheap lame cash grab as so many bonus dvd's are. **It should be noted there is a 3 disk version that also includes a disc of b-sides/covers and demos but that is near impossible to find.**
Bottom line buy this!!