Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by Tim and Faith STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 21, 2017
Always, always great education........anything he writes.
on September 27, 2013
I read this almost 10 years ago, and it's time to read it again. It really changed much about how I see the world and my place in it. Pinker is a great writer, and also has a sense of humor. Even when I don't agree with everything he says, I love to read each and every word. Read this book!
on December 23, 2014
Helps to understand the human factor. Knowledge to help us cope with our exsistence.
on May 21, 2017
A careful examination of "nature v nurture". Insightful, rational, and very useful in consciously unraveling human nature. When we are aware of them, we are free to select between the things that deeply motivate us. That is what real choice is about.
on June 24, 2016
This book updates us on several levels of neuropsychology. What works and what is a myth is exposed in several areas of life including parenting, arts, and violence. Pinker uses current research to evaluate these areas and comes up with some surprising conclusions. Adequate detail to support conclusions is refreshing. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in coping with violence and all parents.
on June 19, 2014
One of the best books I read. It helps to understand better who we are and gives a lot of food for thought.
on February 25, 2015
Probably one of the best books I've ever read. It covers the gamut of human experience from apathy to zealotry. Intelligent, engaging and thought provoking throughout. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a different perspective on how we, as a species, think and react to life.
on January 13, 2015
I am very impressed by Steven Pinker. What an open mind he has! He skillfully navigates the mind numbing PC environment of the academic establishment with seeming ease. Superior scholarship.
on January 26, 2003
I found this book most interesting and enjoyable. The author is well versed on this current and important issue. If I may simplistically summarize the thesis (imho) in two sentences, he is saying that as the more obstinate PC left ignores science, they are harming their cause which he generally supports. In particular, the 'myths' of the blank slate, the noble savage, and the ghost in the machine are becoming more incompatible with the evidence and efforts to protect them are becoming more harmful to society. I would say that whether one agrees or disagrees with his opinions (and I do both) on subjects as diverse as language, art, and parenting, he does express himself well. To me, the book was well worth reading.
on November 18, 2010
After reading and re-reading it multiple times - I have learnt one of the most import lessons in life, which I now teach fervently. Deal with any issue - do not deny it. Some issues are problems with who we are (such as parochialism), some issues are related to our capabilities and shortcomings such as are our aptitudes and skill. Here is the most important thing though - our brains are wonderful learning machines - we can do anything if we train ourselves and practice it. The more innate skill we have the less effort we have to put, but do deny either the power of nature or nurture is to deny our potential to who we can be.

Thank you Steven Pinker.