Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on May 28, 2008
There were aspects of this story that I really enjoyed - Imogene's quirky narration, the friendship between Imogene and Maxine, Adrian's story, the fairies and darkness - but there were a few issues that detracted from it as well.

While I liked Imogene's *voice*, the first-person narration from Maxine and Adrian didn't sound all that different. I like first-person POV but don't like it when the POV switches around. In this instance, I did enjoy hearing the story in Adrian's own words since his experience was so different from anyone else's, but didn't think it was necessary to do so with Maxine. Also, I didn't see the purpose in using different tenses (i.e., the beginning in past tense and the end in present tense). In some instances this technique can add to a narrative, but unless it's purpose is very clear, I find it often detracts from a story by interrupting the flow.

As another reviewer pointed out, the characters were all stereotypical. That didn't make them unlikable and the story itself was unique enough to compensate, but De Lint is so imaginative that I don't know why he'd need to resort to that. And two characters appeared but never had much of a role beyond being deus ex machina sources of info - the author (Christy Riddell - who just seemed like a self-insertion) and the e-mail pen pal Esmeralda.

Adrian was the only character I felt any emotional connection with and the poor guy never really got much fulfillment, even from Imogene. Only at the very, very end and only very marginally, which just made me sad for him.

There were little issues that bugged me like Maxine using a cell phone in the school basement, when she'd never be able to get reception there. Or the fact that everyone seemed to either a) have experience with the fairy world (down to Imogene's boyfriend) or b) be totally accepting of them. Only Imogene had trouble believing in the fairies which was absurd since she could plainly see and converse with a ghost.

It was still a fun and engaging read. De Lint is a talented writer - there's no doubt about that. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA urban fantasy, but I thought this had the potential to be so much more than it was.
on November 22, 2004
For those of you who are seeing the citizens of Newford get older, fear not. A new generation is well on its way to taking up the slack. Maxine and Imogene contain many of the qualities that people have fallen in love with in Jilly, Christy, Sophie, and all the rest, but with a new hipness appealing to younger readers. Newford, of course, remains the doorway to the Otherworld. DeLint still manages to keep the different cultural traditions working together, making all the impossible possible and invites us to join in his world, made all the more real by the imperfections and foibles. Cheers, Charles, and I hope to see more of these young ladies, as I am sure they are going to make startling effects on both this world and the Other.
on April 13, 2015
I first read this book when I was a freshman in high school. About 4years ago. I liked it so much I didn't want to return it to the library haha , I did returned eventually. Anyway Charles de lint is one of my favorite writers . All of he's books are amazing! But " the blue girl " is and forever will be my favorite book from him ! I totally recommend all of you no matter how old are you to read this book! It's just amazing! I'm not good with writing reviews but all I know is that this book will blow your mind! And will make you wanna read more of Charles books!
on April 10, 2015
I kind of dislike reviews that give you the plot of something that you haven't read yet. So I keep mine slightly fuzzy in the detail department while attempting to remain helpful. Lets see. A little dark, a little twisty. As always amazing character development and setting. Pulls you right into the book so that you're there experiencing everything with the characters without being burdened down by too many adjectives and five pages of descriptions. absolutely beautiful.
on August 30, 2013
De LInt is one of my all time favorites. His characters become real people to you before you have gotten very far into the story. The way he weaves a storyline, you can't help but be completely drawn into the tale. Great Book.
on October 21, 2009
I've re-read this book so many times over that I've lost count. It's such a fun read. I'm nearly 18 years old and I enjoy this book so much I HAD to buy it. If you like the Spiderwick Chronicles BOOKS (Not the movie, and if you've seen the movie and haven't read the books, shame on you. The books are much better) and strange stories such as Coraline, you'll enjoy this book as well.

I've finally ordered this book because I've read it tons of times from the local library. Imogene, Maxine, and Adrian are three wonderfully real characters in my opinion.

I really do think that if you like strange, slightly dark, comical, and intriguing stories, I think you'll enjoy this book as well. This book has led me other De Lint books as well, I have yet to find any to read at the library yet, but I will continue searching.
on July 14, 2009
I have read a huge amount of teen fantasy literature, and this is by far one of the best current examples of this genre. The way de Lint describes people, sounds, everything, he seems to capture perfectly that weird space/time between dreaming and waking. The characters are unique, believable and likable. I bought this for my sister for her birthday and she also loved it. You will not be disappointed! I look forward to reading more books by this author.
on August 24, 2009
Charles de Lint has an insight to magic and how girls/women think and feel. Whenever I read his books I think he had a window into my past. I can identify with the characters at many levels. He is a master at weaving magic that could be here.
on December 13, 2010
i read this book at my local library n liked it so much that i decided to buy it. it's a fun book wt some magic and school trouble things..just great
on April 26, 2014
This is one of my favorites! I've been trying to find it, and at last I've found a copy. de Lint is an awesome author!