Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 508 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 843 reviews
on December 21, 2015
An excellent and well made film. The parts on Antarctica are so beautiful and well done it stood so well. I liked the part on the Amazon as well. It made me want to be a deep sea diver. What an amazing adventure it would be to have a job like that. This may seem strange but this film made me conclude that the arguments of vegetarians are absurd. The reason for that is that this film shows so much eating habits of various species. In other words, it depicts seals as eating penguins who are in turn eaten by killer whales who also eat grey whales. Tuna eat anchovies who are in turn eaten by sharks. Birds eat sea turtles. And hawks eat lizards. If most nature species feed on others, why should humans be an exception? I don't know if that makes sense, but this concept entered my head.
on October 7, 2015
This is by far the best and most appropriately, enjoyable, educational and perfectly narrated series of film about our oceans I have ever seen. I dont say that lightly as I have been a film and national geographic enthusiast since I was a kid and now in my forties more than ever. The only TV I watch now is pretty much this kind - the educational and discovery ( nova, history channel, etc) and anything Marvel. The narrator was excellent and visually it was stunning. Not to mention some of the best education on about sea life ever. Absolutely beautiful. Happy it was a series to enjoy. The best episode was Frozen Seas. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks.
on June 17, 2016
I LOVE This series. My kids love these so much. We watch a lot of documentaries at our house because I am a Biology teacher and this is a favorite. The images and video is amazing and so captivating. The narration is great also. My 8 year old asks to watch these and my teenage daughters also love them. Great family entertainment.
on April 15, 2014
The info/content of the Seas of Life is GREAT! My wife loves it...but the quality of the picture is lacking. Putting a low quality product on a bluray disc does not make it bluray quality. We can really see the difference...when you watch the previews on this bluray, the quality is AWESOME...then the Seas of Life program begins and I would say you lose at 20% of the clarity or more. BUT...if you look (as of 15 April 2014), the Bluray set is CHEAPER than the DVD set by about $9 so I would still opt for the bluray set.
on September 25, 2013
Although it claims 5.1, there is no bass from my subwoofer. Except perhaps the first couple of seconds of title video, the bass disappears as soon as the main feature begins.

I think they should make the correction to avoid misleading consumers.

As many have mentioned, the video quality is subpar, definitely way below the golden standard of "planet earth" series.

My favorite scenes are:
The deep sea abyss, I'm out of words to describe those amazing creatures.
The detailed description of coral reefs's life cycles, I have seen plenty of coral reef video, but never at this level of detail.
The Killer whale's skilled strategies in exhausting and rolling the baby humpback whale, and to "drown" it, is fascinating.
on November 5, 2016
These are great educational videos, and wonderful to add to your Planet Earth and Life collections of nature DVD's! David Attenborough is the best narrator as well.
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2013
If you love the Planet Earth series, then you need to add this to your collection as well. Think of this as the underwater version of Planet Earth, amazing visuals, enlightening commentary and more nature than you are likely to ever see in a first world country. I have been scuba diving many times and although I have seen a great many wonders, nothing compares to the beauty of nature seen in these videos.

I highly recommend this series to all nature lovers.
on September 11, 2006
The Blue Planet - Seas of Life, is an excellent documentary. Although it is narrated by David Attenborough, it is not a part of his "Life of" series. But that doesn't really matter, because this program is just as good.

The series producer is Alastair Fothergill, who also worked with David Attenborough on "Life in the Freezer" (part of the "Life of" series, presented by David Attenborough) and more recently, "Planet Earth". (also narrated by Attenborough but not part of the "Life of" series)

This series has 8 programs and loads of extras. Seeing as no one has listed them yet, I'll do that here...

Disc 1

1. OCEAN WORLD: Experience the power of the Blue Whale - the largest mammal to ever grace our planet. Learn how the sun and moon help control and tame the ocean. Travel far and wide - from the Eastern Pacific to Alaska, from the Bering Sea to the shores of Southern California - and begin to understand the complexity and power of our oceans.

2. FROZEN SEAS: An environment where only the toughest survive, the Arctic and Antarctic are unrelenting habitats. Only in the spring does life begin again. Plankton blooms and feeds vast hordes of migrating fish, walruses rake the seabed for clams, and minke and humpback whales gorge themselves on gigantic swarms of krill. But it is a brief spring feast - the ice soon returns and pushes life back into the ocean.

- Interview with cameraman Doug Allan

- Blue Planet music video

- Photo gallery

- Fact files

Disc 2

3. OPEN OCEAN: In the immense space of the open ocean the sea bed is a staggering five miles below the surface and the nearest island is over 300 miles away. Yet here live many of the most spectacular predators in the ocean. Marvel as you experience ruthless and beautiful battles between hunter and prey.

4. THE DEEP: A place of mountain ranges, perpetual night, pressure extremes and cold... and the weirdest life forms on our planet. Dive to the depths of the ocean, an eerie world where predators with teeth so large they can't even close their mouths, chase bioluminescent creatures of the deep. Discover the spectacular smoking chimneys of the hydrothermal vents. Go deeper down than you have ever been...

- Interview with "The Deep" researcher Penny Allen

Disc 3

5. SEASONAL SEAS: As the days grow longer, billions of microscopic plankton bloom under the blazing sun. Here in the temperate seas, three-ton basking sharks graze among forests of giant kelp - the fastest growing plant in the world. The forests harbor thousands of other animals, including sea otters, brilliantly colored anemones, squid, and exquisite leafy dragons. But as the year wears on, storms rage in the icy sea... a desperate challenge for the animals that remain.

6. CORAL SEAS: Bathed in bright sunlight and warm, clear water, the coral reef is a rich oasis of life - the rainforest of the sea. Bizarrely adorned harlequin shrimp carry off a starfish several times their size, while haunting songs reverberate around the reef, heralding the arrival of humpback whales. Shimmering schools of brightly colored fish battle for territory in this competitive world where you have to stand out to survive.

- Interview with producer Alastair Fothergill

- Trailers

Disc 4

7. TIDAL SEAS: The sun and moon move billions of tons of water with every turn of the tide. The strongest tides empty entire bays, smash trees on riverbanks, and strand sea creatures on suddenly dry land. Weaker tides control the movements of huge numbers of fish, coaxing schools of giant stingrays through astounding underwater arches. And as the water recedes, the tide can create unbelievable landscapes - like a sparkling world of salt crystals inhabited only by tiny shrimp and bright pink flamingos.

8. COASTS: From rocky cliffs to gentle dunes, the coasts are always changing. Day in and day out, they are battered by crashing waves. Seabirds come here by the thousands to nest, while baby turtles hatch and race to the sea, pursued by hungry predators. Young sea lion pups are born and play on the sand - until a killer whale attacks, crashing in on the surf. But when breeding season is over, life returns to the sea and the shores are empty once again.

- Behind-the-scenes featurettes

- Deep Trouble: a compelling exploration of man's impact on the Earth's Oceans.

- Trailers

This DVD is great, perfect picture quality, and sound. The bonus features are also very good (and quite lengthy) a lot of in-depth information on the making of the series and it is very interesting and amazing. (how they filmed this series was incredible) The footage is really, really spectacular. A lot of it does have to be seen to be believed.

This DVD is of the highest quality, and is more than worth the price, highly recommended!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on October 12, 2015
Amazing! There is nothing I did not like! First of all, you can't go wrong with David Attenborough! Second, each and every episode was fascinating! I learned something every minute! The best episodes were "Coral Seas" and "The Deep". I love learning about the ocean, and this is by far the best documentary about it! I first watched it on Netflix, and then I was hooked! I went out and bought Planet Earth, and every other BBC documentary that I could afford! Buy it and you won't regret!
on April 26, 2017