Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

Showing 1-10 of 185 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 334 reviews
on February 10, 2014
What if there really were ghosts? What would it feel like to be one? What powers and limitations do they have?

J.R. Rain explores these intriguing questions. And though I suppose the book is spiritual in its way, it certainly isn't Christian. One of the characters is a medium, and many other people are said to be mediums as well, without knowing it. (In this book, a medium is anyone who senses the spirits or ghosts around them.) There is no heaven or hell, only "whatever you want there to be." Reincarnation is one of those things. And though angels and even Jesus himself make appearances, this is not the Jesus of the Bible (though it is not an offensive representation, in my opinion). Jesus' name and the word "hell" are frequently used as swear words throughout.

I found the book to be entertaining, thought provoking, and creative. I also found it mildly disturbing at times, early in the book, when James, the ghost, seems to be trapped in a kind of hell, losing his memories and his sense of identity day by day.

As a former church youth leader, I kept thinking this book would be excellent as a teaching tool for high school students. It would be really fun to discuss the ways it veers away from orthodoxy. The book is short, a quick read, reasonably well written, funny and touching. It also concerns itself with repentance and forgiveness, so that may be why some people saw it as Christian.
on July 31, 2013
I could not put this book down
J R Rain is absolutely one of my favorite authors of all time
This book will capture you from the first to the last page a must read!!!!!
on May 19, 2010
I downloaded this book because it got good reviews, and also because the premise interested me.

It was a very entertaining read! Think "Ghost Whisperer" from the rather humorous vantage point of the ghost! ...I was caught up in the story immediately, and found it hard to put down. It certainly is a departure from the kind of book I normally read; but I loved every bit of it.

Long after the book was finished, I was still thinking about the ideas and metaphors about death and the hereafter, and so I started reading it again. I've told all my friends about it. Not often I do that!!
on January 1, 2011
I had never heard of J. R. Rain before reading this book, but the synopsis of The Body Departed intrigued me so much that I downloaded it via the Kindle, and I was not disappointed. It was a very fast, short read that kept me in the deliciously in the dark and turning pages. Since it is written from James' point of view, the main character, we only know and see what he knows and sees. The way in which Rain wrote this book is very effective in keeping the mystery alive and the reader guessing. My only gripe was it was too short; however, I am a believer that if a story is done, it's done and the silly guidelines created by publishing houses these days that require authors to make their stories 100,000+ words or 300 plus pages is simply ridiculous. So, with that said, I commend Rain on not adding anything unecessary to the story. I never skipped a sentence, a paragraph, or chapter and that is the highest compliment I can give an author. To me, every detail, every sentence, and every word was pertinent to the story and moved it forward. Unlike many other authors who are forced by publishing house requirements to lengthen their plots, or add filler, Rain, does not. Also, I found very few if any typos in Rain's work. I can't say the same of other books. I enjoyed this story so much I bought other e-books by Rain and haven't been disappointed yet. Well worth the read - Rain is a very concise, creative, clean, writer!
on May 22, 2010
I just "found" JR Rain and his novels, and I'm captivated! I first read Moon Dance, and it was good, but this was beyond GREAT! If you enjoy fantasy with ghosts and a little bit of theology mixed in..this is the book for you. I'm off to read more of Mr. Rain's novels...great job, and please keep them coming!!
on February 3, 2013
One reviewer said, "Let it Rain!" I agree! This was my first J.R. Rain experience and it couldn't have been any better. Living under this rock, as I apparently do, I knew nothing of this writer till now and might have missed out altogether if a friend hadn't recommended The Body Departed. (Thanks, LadyH)

I'm partial to a concise, straightforward writing style, and the opening line of this novel told me I just might enjoy this writer: "I stepped through the wall and into my daughter's bedroom." So, I got comfortable and settled in, letting this complex mystery tale of a dead man named James sweep me along in his quest for answers. Not the least important of which was who murdered him?

Sure, it reminded me a little of The Ghost Whisperer. Anymore, I can't help making that association with just about any story involving a medium and ghosts. You'll like this medium who befriends James, I think. She made me laugh. So did James. And then there's little Jacob, an adorable little boy who will definitely tug at your heart.

The Biblical names didn't escape me, either, but I'm Southern and those prevail down here. I would like to point out to those likely to avoid Christian fiction, that I was so involved with the mystery and the character, it made no difference to me at all. I didn't feel preached at, there was no overt push to convert my non-religious soul, just a very well written character with a lot of worldly issues to figure out on top of having to work through his own spiritual beliefs and uncertainties. This is his story, after all, and he fears that maybe -- if only he could remember -- just maybe he belongs in hell.
on July 11, 2010
James Blakely was murdered two years ago and ever since he has been a troubled spirit "haunting" the apartment building that he lived in. He gets to visit with his daughter at night while she is sleeping and he spirit is open to his. He is great friends with Pauline, the medium in the building who drinks a little too much, but who wouldn't dealing with the dead all day! James is convinced he is going to hell but maybe there is a way for him to change things around. Gotta read the book to find out how and if it works.

I fell in love with James from page one. He is a sweet guy who is confused in death. Watching him on his adventures is very heartwarming as are the scenes with his daughter. I think the author did a fantastic job in making you feel like you are right there. The characters are like your family and you find yourself routing for James throughout the book. There are surprises that all get tied together as the book goes on and the end will surely bring a tear to your eye and a smile to your face.

This was my first book by J.R. Rain but I am going in search of more. I would recommend The Body Departed to anyone who likes a nice ghost story along the lines of Ghost. It's a nice, easy read.
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2013
I am a HUGE fan of J.R. Rain.
Have read a lot of his books, and they are all excellent.
But The Body Departed did something different.
It captured my heart and soul.
Dealing with a spirit of James, who had been murdered in his bed two years before, he needed to see if he could find solace, find why certain things happened and he was helpless. Some of the time, he couldn't remember his own name...
A psychic medium, Pauline, connects with James, and helps him go to the place where he may find answers and solace--his former Church, where he went to Catholic School and also worshipped.

What happens next, in this hour or so long book is enormous. Beyond belief. And you want with all your heart the theory and love and logic behind it is true.

There is a special guest appearance that will blow you away and cry and cheer at the same time.

Rain is amazing. You are in his power to take this amazing journey. A journey you want, no must take.

Is there Heaven or Hell? Or do you manifest what you are scared to hope for and condemn yourself to the worse scenario??

Many things to think about. Forgiveness. Love.eternity.

One of my go to books from now on. It may just hit that note for you too...

Ellen George, author of children's book Flutterby, and Amazon reviewer
on February 4, 2013
If I had to just sum this book up with one sentence then I'd say this book was beautiful. It's extremely thought provoking and imaginitave and will make you think. Every action has a consequence and sometimes those consequences last with us even long after death. I think that even if only one person could learn something from reading this book then the Earth will be a much better place. The storyline was fantastic and I don't really want to give anything away so if you enjoy a good ghost story along with the power of compassion and forgiveness then do yourself a favor and read The Body Departed.
on April 30, 2016
I loved most of J.R. Rain's books and this was no exception. The after death experience was well thought out and engrossing. I enjoyed following the ghost on his trail of realization. I would not call this a religious book; I would call it a spiritual book. Very thought-provoking and I am still mulling over some of the concepts. Thanks for making me think.