Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Book of Amos: A Commentary (The Old Testament Library)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now

50%
50%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 10, 2010
Dr. J. Jeremias' scholarship of this first "writing" prophet, Amos, critical text is superb scholarship. He handles the usual burden of the historical commentaries which precede his commentary with the usual aplomb and diligence one requires of a Commentator on the ancient classical Hebrew texts.

This is a book one must have in one's library, if one is a serious student of Hebrew theological literature and scribal literary culture. The 'real' portions of the texts by the Eighth century [860-850 B.C.E.] Prophet demand reading by our age as we enter our "evil times"; his message is simple if one is to improve one's society: love the good and hate the evil!

I will add more to this review as I re-read his commentary for the fourth time; furthermore, I must re-read the Hebrew text (which I am currently doing) carefully. Amos has been in my consciousness for more than 30 years; one never grows tired of reading and re-reading the Hebrew text with its delicacies of grammar, rhetorical style and sublime poetical structures [assonance, inclusio, repetition, woe oracles, divine & prophetic oracles, etc].

Respectfully,

John E.D.P. Malin
Chairman of the Board
Informatica Corporation
School Street
P. O. Drawer 460
Cecilia, LA 70521-0460
on January 5, 2015
The Old Testament Library Series is one of my favorite commentary sets. I appreciated the scholarship contained therein and admire the commitment to theological integrity modeled by the publisher of this series.