Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 24, 2014
The Book of Jonah started out entertaining, quickly became disturbing, then got even darker, became kind of boring, and wound up to be quite moving. It is the story of a man who throws everything away because of "visions" he develops, and a woman who has everything taken from her, turning her into a shell of a person. Jonah is a smart man who thinks himself out of what seems to be a nice life, and Judith is a brilliant woman who uses her body to distract from her brain. And after a bit of a search, they find each other and live...happily ever after I'm not so sure. But they live.

This book was very well written, and the two main characters were quite compelling. The plot got a bit slow at times, with a bit too much exposition, but I found myself not rushing to get to the end, which is usually a sign of a 4 or 5 star book for me. I'll definitely keep my eye out for more books by this promising author.
on October 2, 2014
What happens to normal fast-track people when events aren't normal? Start with completely believable characters, people you know, mostly fast-track millennials, but without being twisted or stuffed into stereotypes, and people you care about as the plot moves on (as an aside, I need to care about the people to get into a book like this). They encounter what might be the hand of God, or not (the author does this lightly, leaving all possible room for interpretation, so what actually happens depends as much on you as on the author or God) and then you watch and share with them as things come off the expected track. Or maybe that was the expected track? The author, to his credit, does a lot more asking than answering. He brings up possibilities only through plot, not ponderous asides (like I do).

Read it in and you'll find yourself second-guessing the author on what happens. And that's a good thing. It's part of what makes this a good read.
on February 23, 2014
A slightly perplexing story about a young man struggling to find himself, first as a member of a law firm in New York City, then as a sole traveler in the country of Amsterdam, then in the wilderness of Las Vegas. This young man encounters a girl who is also struggling with her identity, having lost her parents in the 9/11 tragedy,and having reached adulthood,being hired by a wealthy patron to gather art to resell to other wealthy clients, so they can impress their friends with their wealth and their ability to purchase and display expensive pieces of art. Interesting character study.
on April 8, 2014
I chose to read this book because I thought the subject a fascinating one. Very few current authors take a biblical story into modern times the way Max Feldman has. He writes with beauty, clarity, and a deep knowledge of his subject, both ancient and modern. I find my self thinking about this book, about how it relates to the biblical book, and about the ever present possibility of redemption, among other things. I will probably read it again.
on April 14, 2014
The book was readable, and I like thoughtful life-questioning stories such as these. However, I found the book somewhat repetitive. The author made the same points over and over in different scenarios. Ok, we live secular, materialistic lives that are empty. Many people search for answers and turn to God. We get it. The idea was good, and overall it was readable, but it was just a little too repetitive for me.
on March 28, 2014
I'm not normally drawn to biblically themed books, but I'm really glad I gave The Book of Jonah a chance. Feldman has a great and very engaging writing style, and he was able to turn his source material into a very readable modern story about ambition, love, loss, and the challenges of finding oneself. Definitely worth a read.
on April 14, 2014
It's hard to really like a story when you don't like the characters. There were many here that I didn't much care for and the story itself was convoluted and hard to swallow. The bold idea didn't really play out as promised but there were glimmers of sunshine that came through. Overall: whale - 1; Jonah - 0.
on March 2, 2014
This book is this month's read for our book club. So I knew nothing of it when I started to read. Interesting...and I kept thinking about it through out the day...wanting to savor the story but couldn't wait to see what was happening next. I really didn't like Jonah in the beginning of the book...but grew to really admire him....now I am thinking up all sorts if possibilities for his next steps...enjoyable
on March 30, 2014
Reading the book got very tedious because of the fixation on themselves. It took a very long time to come to terms with their life. I found it rather discouraging and the profanity in the language F---- and the frequency that they did just that.
Really ran out of gas with the whole plot.
on October 21, 2014
I am fascinated by this book and it will take another read before I can truly analyze it with the Biblical Book of Jonah. I found the Judith character very sympathetic and interesting. I highly recommend this book.