Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 176 reviews
on November 10, 2012
The Book of Revelation

I have read the last chapter of the Bible several times, a few of those times was late at night unto the early morning. I have read it from the beginning to the end and what I imagined in my mind is exactly what was put forth in this graphic novel, what a great depiction of the text it was.

While immersed in this novel and "great soon to be reality" I felt like I was the eyes of John and as always... I could not put this chapter of the Bible down. The images were dark and very graphic and just as they should be for one of the greatest stories ever told. I enjoyed all of the images in this novel but one of my favorites would have to be on page 169 where one of the seven Angels took John in the spirit to a soaring steep mountain and showed him the Holy City, Jerusalem, descending from God out of heaven, embodying the glory of God. What a magnificent site it was.

I would also agree 100% with Matt's Dorff's interview comment with Zondervan publishing "When readers see that last panel with John's final "Amen" I think they'll experience a sense of emotional fullness. For all the action and intensity and horror it contains, The Book of Revelation is in the end a profoundly emotional story." I say amen to that!
The translation of the Bible in this novel was smooth and very easy to read and understand. The illustrations and adaption that was put fourth I believe was magnificent! I would highly recommend buying this book and sharing it with as many people as you can!

To read Matt's interview, or get more insight on the creation of this book check out the facebook page for the book [...]
on February 21, 2013
Of all the Christian texts that could be presented in graphic novel form, the book of Revelation is perhaps most suited (and most obvious—why hasn’t someone done this already?) to the genre. It is, after all, the product of John’s vision from God. In this graphic novel, the fusion of text and image very well may take us closer to John’s own experience than plain text is able, for while the text alone is certainly sufficient, this replication of John’s receiving the message in visible form returns the text to its initial mode of communication. And the result is undeniably riveting. Through Chris Koelle’s luminously compelling illustrations, The Book of Revelation allows us to see what John might have seen, as the words he used to record his vision become in turn image-producers. We are spectators, not only viewing John’s vision, but also watching him as his sight is mesmerized by this message from God. And, Koelle’s decision to depict the future through the lens of the past—primarily through clothing styles—adds yet another intriguing layer to his re-creation of John’s visionary experience.

But the value of this graphic novel extends beyond mere appropriate fitting of one genre (graphic novel) to another (visionary prophecy). The book is more than just an illustrated text: it’s a graphic representation of text, and as such, Koelle’s artwork helps to unlock not just the textual meaning of this important biblical book, but also its relevance, its significance, and its function. So often we think of John’s Revelation as a book of prophecy, foretelling God’s judgment on the earth. And it is that. But it wasn’t until I read this graphic novel that I realized the true theme of this book. Revelation (like all of the other books of the Bible, so it shouldn’t have been a surprise, really) is more than an account of the end times on the earth. Its primary concern, to which the apocalypse is merely an accent, is the glory and worship of God. Reading the biblical text, I’d missed this fundamental focus multiple times. But reading the text accompanied by Koelle’s images, suddenly I saw—literally—that the scenes of God’s receiving praise in heaven bookend the account of the earth’s judgment, harmonizing the entire prophetic book with the rest of the Scripture—and all that exists, really—in its ultimate purpose: the worship of God. Perhaps eventually I would have grown in my understanding of the book as I read the plain text. But the combination of image and text helped me grasp the significance of John’s Revelation as I never had before.

Of course, as a graphic novel, The Book of Revelation invites evaluation based on at least two criteria: its worth as a book, and its worth as collection of images that captivate, communicate, and compel. Koelle’s illustrations excel as all three. In his artwork, the otherworldly is rendered in fluid, detailed images that are engagingly realistic and result from painstaking attention to the text, for Koelle doesn’t bend the text to justify his images, but instead creates images that express the text in its most literal form. And it is perhaps this obeisance to the literal that lends Koelle’s artwork its almost surreal quality: visionary prophecies of heavenly creatures, beastly monsters, and terrible destruction can inhabit only the fringes of our perceptions of what is “real.” Yet somehow Koelle strikes the perfect balance, grounding his depictions of John’s shocking text in a visual tapestry that finds its origins in human experience.

It seems that interest in the Apocalypse is commonplace in human existence—at least of these last two millennia. But perhaps John’s message is most relevant now, when violence already fills the globe, nations strive with each other, and the fascination with “religion” has possibly never been stronger. Whether you’re curious about Revelation’s content or you desire a new perspective in your quest to systematize your understanding of this biblical book with the rest of God’s revelation, this text is one you shouldn’t ignore.
on December 10, 2012
I like that the book helped me think about Revelation and such topics at a slower pace, causing me to see it with new eyes. I saw some things I never really paid attention to previously. However, it does somewhat bug me that the art takes a preterist interpretation, depicting the prophecies about the Antichrist as visions about events that were fulfilled in Roman times. Clearly, Jesus Christ has not returned to reign as the King of the world in a peacible kingdom, and certainly not so in Roman times, yet the whole point of the long story arc of Revelation is the return of Jesus Christ to fulfill the rest of the prophecies about the Messiah and his reign on earth. The preterist interpretation is seriously errant, as far as I have come to conclude, and it bugs me that this comic sets the stage for the reader to see the text that way.

Over-all, I think it's great for thinking about apocalypse and for seeing it through another person's eyes, but it can color and taint a person's interpretation; there's no way to depict such apocalyptic literature in illustration without some sort of interpretation working its way in.
on August 31, 2013
I have read other reviews for this book prior to buying it myself which complained that it's adaptation did not make the text easier to understand. I am not sure Revelation will ever be completely easy to understand. I've found it hard to read it in its entirety in any translation of the Bible. Being a comic book fan as well as minister in training seemed to make this book a dream come true. Granted this adaptation now adds pictures to the once confusing images your mind was stretched to make; where mental exhaustion once slowed or ceased your reading, these pictures keep you reading as well as may provide some continuity that's hard to visualize or detect in text format. If you're looking for a breakdown and deep explanation of Revelation, I suggest a good studied commentary or study-Bible (ESV Study Bible). But if you want to dive into Revelation with a thorough uninterrupted flow, this book may be a good place to start.
on October 30, 2015
It is really Biblical, it is powerful, it really gives an intriguing view of the spiritual plane and of the creatures that inhabit it. I really think it is inspired, every draw, every color, every detail have been inspired by God. God used art when command how to build and represent the Holy Arc....and with it the whole Temple and the Tabernacle. God mad us in His own image, and gave us imagination and a spark of His characteristics....and i think that when these skills are used in this way, it is a very good way to honor the only One True God and in Him His Christ. This "comic" is amazing, and if you are a Christian, you want to have it. If you are not a Christian, you want to become so, for the grace of God of course, and to posses and fully enjoy this book! :D Praise to the Lord! Praise to the King!
on November 11, 2015
A lot of people are scared of the book of Revelation, or at least hesitant to read it. Ironically, it is the only book of the bible that says you are blessed for reading it. (Revelation 1:3) The team that put this together did an amazing job. Absolutely stunning visuals with breathtaking colors is what this book is all about. Along with captions of select verses, it takes you through each chapter of Revelation (not Revelations), and further brings to life what John did so wonderfully already. I can't stress how beautiful this art is.
review image
on November 26, 2012
The book is a graphic interpretation of the New Testament book of Revelation--it contains a new translation of the full text of Revelation with multi-panel and full page illustrations to supplement the text. I purchased the book because I am familiar with the work of illustrator Chris Koelle who has produced some of my favorite contemporary Scripture based artwork (see "The History of Redemption" [...] for a few examples). Koelle has a fascinating ability to synthesize ancient Christian art and modern graphic design techniques and principles to communicate the ideas and emotions behind God's Word. Here are a few thoughts about the work:

MY MAJOR RESERVATION: As a follower of Jesus and a life-long student of the Bible, I take Scripture seriously. I believe that it is God's Word in the most literal sense possible, inspired and authoritative. That being the case, I am a little uncomfortable with messing with Scripture in any way-- particularly messing with a book that explicitly says, "if anyone adds anything to [the words of this book], God will add to him the plagues described in this book." Revelation 22:18. That's a serious warning, and I wondered if it was wise to add illustrations to a book that pushes the limits of imagination, let alone depiction.

Ultimately, I am comfortable with the idea, because the book reverently submits the artwork to the text, making the words of the Scripture central. In fact, I would say, the book is much like one of the Bible commentaries that I find so useful. It places the inspired Scripture in front of us and offers some historical, cultural, or linguistic thoughts which are not inspired, but may be nonetheless true, and helpful for bringing us to a deeper understanding of the inspired words. I came to think of "The Book of Revelation" graphic novel as a commentary that used pictures instead of words to offer the illustrator's insight into Scripture.

MY NIT-PICKY COMPLAINT: The book contains the text of a new translation of the ancient Greek manuscripts of the book of Revelation. The translators' credentials for producing a new version of the text are not listed in the book, but based on a lot of personal study of the book of Revelation, it seems to be a decent translation. I did have a few nit-picky complaints--for example, instead of translating Jesus' promise to the church of Pergamum in Revelation 2:17 as the receipt of a "white stone," the translators make it a "white writ of acquittal." That is one valid interpretation of what the white stone might mean but it is not what the original Greek says. I prefer translations that, as much as possible, keep within the limits of the language and don't stray into interpreting the ideas.

Now that I've bored you with nit-picky translation notes, let me get to the good stuff:

MY RECOMMENDATION: The book is fantastic. I read through all 22 chapters of the book of Revelation in about an hour and a half on a Friday night (not something I'm sure I would have accomplished, had there not been supplementary illustrations). I've studied and read the book of Revelation so many times that I think I had grown a bit numb to the beauty and terror, hope and horror within the pages. It is truly a gripping picture of the culmination of history and the ultimate and inevitable victory and rule of Jesus Christ. The illustrations consistently portray Jesus as the central figure of history, whether He be the suffering Servant of the cross, the conquering Lamb at the center of heaven's worship, or the celestial indisputable King of the cosmos. Although no form of art could do justice to the glory and beauty of Christ, Koelle does a fantastic job of reminding us that Jesus is more noble, powerful, and wonderful than we may have remembered. I was also reminded of how terrible God's wrath will be on those who resist the rule of His Son. It's been quite a while since I've felt the level of horror in the book of Revelation that I saw portrayed in the pictures. As disturbing as some of the images may be, however, the illustrator remains careful not to stray into gratuitous violence or gore. The horror and judgment of the sinful world is more implied than explicitly sketched out. I was even impressed by the depiction of the angels--I tend to imagine angels as fairly innocuous beings (like people with wings). Koelle however illustrates them as fiercely passionate otherworldly beings--creatures that would truly have to remind us not to be afraid if we encountered them.

In the end, I think the best parts of the book were not the fantastic images of demonic locusts, seven headed dragons, and worldwide cataclysms (although it was fascinating to see how these complex characters and events were depicted), but the nuanced reactions of the author, John, as he beholds and records His vision. John is shown responding in dumbstruck awe, in disgust, in terror, and in overwhelming joy. He tearfully embraces Jesus like an old friend. He stands shell-shocked by the glories of heaven. He recoils in disgust at the prostitute, Babylon who seduces the earth. And as I observed John's reactions, so vividly drawn, I remembered that I too am asked to react to what God is revealing here. I too am to enter into a thankful embrace of Jesus, a deep awe of the glories of God, a bitter disgust at the nature and consequences of sin. And to that end-- to the purpose of entering just a little further into the beautiful story of what Jesus Christ has done, what He is doing, and, ultimately, what He will do--I can recommend this wonderful little piece of art.
on January 16, 2013
It's one thing to read the Book of Revelation in a Bible....just text. One's imagination may or may not help to interpret what is being read. However in this version, the artist provides a very power, verse-by-verse interpretation that helps the reader to contemplate the message deeply. This means the reader can slow down, read a version, meditate upon it with the help of the illustrations, and receive to message directly to himself. The images of John help the reader to identify and relate to him, as if the reader were the first to hear this message.

About the translation itself: it is very good, easy to read modern English. A fresh alternative, it reads both like an ancient saga and also a sobering message. Though the Book of Revelation is not read liturgically in the Orthodox Tradition of this edition's translators (Fr. Mark Arey, and Fr. Philemon Sevastiades of blessed memory), this could easily be intoned as is done with the Prophecy of Ezekiel.

I think this edition would very much appeal to young people. To them, at first glance, this might appear like a comic book. An adventure. A journey. Knowing that this is telling of real life, past, present and future, it is both adventure and journey, and much more. It might be the just the sobering message on needs to have ears to hear before the final Amen!

Bottom line: GET THIS BOOK! Read it with your family. Read it alone. Meditate on the message with the help of the fantastic illustrations and be transformed.
on September 4, 2015
I don't dig how they portray Jesus as an actual lamb. The front cover - I thought it was a goat that represented Satan, not my Lord and Savior! The illustrations are awesome, though. It's laid out and illustrated just as the Word is, so if you're looking for these signs and symbols to be deeper or represent bigger truths, it's not here. I enjoyed reading it so much that I bought the Action Bible, which is similar - it's the Bible done in graphic-novel form for kids and teens... and adults! It's NOT what I would call "God's Word," as the focus of this particular Bible is to chronologically lay out the major events that happened since Genesis, but if you need an enthralling, easy to understand version of God's Word as history happened, it'll help.
on November 9, 2015
An impressive artist telling of Revelations from the Bible.
The artwork is fantastic, full color on smooth shiny pages.
I'd recommend for ages 12 to 13 and older. I'm an adult and purchased for myself and really enjoy the art and how it's told although it does not hold exact to scripture in it's translation. I am glad I have this in my collection.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse