Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 30, 2004
I'm a long-time reader of Dr. Chopra's books, but this one is truly unique. It pulls no punches, telling the whole story of how he sees spirit and the path to enlightenment. In the past Dr. Chopra has used a lot of pop metaphors to get his message across and has been lumped with motivational writers like Wayne Dyer and Tony Robbins, but in The Book of Secrets he is all spiritual, and for me that is really exciting. If you want to learn about everything from good and evil to life after death and the five illusions that create unreality, this is the book for you.
11 comment| 313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2006
Part of me wants to dismiss Chopra as touchy-feely new-agey fluff, but I keep reading him because there are such profound resonant truths underneath everything he writes about. He goes a little off the uh, "deep," end now and again, but really, he does a fine job of relating ancient eastern principles in a very personal and understandable way. He's actually going over the same material with each new book, but to his credit, he finds so many different ways to relate it to the modern world, and to different mindsets -- each book is better than the last. I think of him as the Alan Watts of this era. There are a lot of "wow" moments in this one, and a very enjoyable journey. I've read through it several times already.
66 comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2004
Chopra writing of death says to "imagine yourself into a new form with a new location in space and time."

Lewis in An Encounter with a Prophet instructs an adolescent to see his dead brother pursuing his favorite activity at a different location.

These authors do not see death as a end but as a continuation of the life here. Interesting concepts.
11 comment| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2004
A truly uplifting read, this is possibly the best book so far by the masterful intelligence of Deepak Chopra. The writing is of exceptional quality, his popular blend of scientific objectivity and poetic mysticism. It feels strongly as though the author was himself undergoing a major personal re-birth while writing "The Book Of Secrets".

Each chapter is given to a "secret" such as "The Mystery Of Life Is Real", "The World Is In You", "What You Seek You Already Are", "Evil Is Not Your Enemy" and "The Meaning Of Life Is Everything". At the end of each chapter Deepak gives some exercises and suggestions as to how one might accommodate the secret just discussed. Many of these boil down to simple honest and open awareness of oneself and others, together with practical advice of one kind or another. For example, in chapter 6 the author helps free you up from the fear of making mistakes. Right and wrong decisions are mental constructs, there is bad in the good choices we have made and vice versa.

On the cover Deepak asks three questions: "Who am I?", "Where did I come from?" and "Why am I here?". He answers them clearly and simply in the last chapter. A great book to help you WAKE UP!
on October 5, 2004
What I love so much about Deepak Chopra's books, is that he takes these profoundly deep and spiritual concepts and brings them to us in such a way that they are tangible, livable, and practical. Like "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success," this is a book that I will read over and over again, and get something more out of it each time. There is so much Truth in "The Book of Secrets" - I highly recommend it!
on August 12, 2006
This book was one I had to read twice and will likely read again. It is a powerful book with so many insights into life and what we should be tuned into. I was somewhat depressed when I started reading the book and it gave me hope. Sandy H
on January 12, 2006
I bought this book on a whim having read Chopra's books off and on for years, and also because I need to keep pumping positive ideas and concepts into my head periodically to believe I am actually "evolving". I was very delighted to find that this is not about psyching yourself up to live in a fantasy land that is reserved for sages and gurus. This book is about what is going on right now both inside your body and outside in your reality (which are really both the same). Chropra draws on science and religion to expand on his "secrets" that really just require that you get out of your own way in order to access them. It is living in a dualistic world that keeps us separate from each other, our own divinity, etc. By merely paying attention and accepting responsibility for what is happening in your life, you can access the system that is already within you to create a profound change in your life.

I have already bought 2 more copies to give to friends who like to think about why they might be here and what all this is about. Both of them are also thrilled. So buy this book. Or don't.
on March 30, 2005
THE BOOK OF SECRETS :"UNLOCKING THE HIDDEN DIMENSIONS OF YOUR LIFE" by Deepak Chopra, M.D., is one of Dr. Chopra's most recent books and one of his best yet. Dr. Chopra is world renowned as perhaps the foremost leader in mind/body medicine and the creator of The Chopra Center for Well Being in California and is the author of over 35 books. In THE BOOK OF SECRETS the author reveals fifteen secrets of personal transformation to help the reader turn fear, aggression, doubt, insecurity, hatred, and emptiness into their opposites. By learning these secrets of profound wisdom, you will see how your own transformation can and will change the world we live in. We all live in fear at the edge of terror in today's world, but Dr. Chopra emphasizes this is because we do not perceive who we really are and the power of God, the power for good, within each of us. "Who am I?" is the crucial question. In Dr. Chopra's words the answer is "the key to ending all violence, suffering, and lack in the world." The key is to experience on a deep level that "you are not in the world, the world is in you." While revealing the importance and the power we each have as creators of our own and the world's outcomes, the author warns about the pitfalls of "spiritual materialism," transferring values that work in the material world to apply to the world of spirit. When we really get in touch with the invisible domain from which all power and wisdom comes, the realm within each of us, we discover the Intelligence guiding the Universe to which we can connect. These fifteen secrets teach us how. One of the most inspiring and personally valuable books you could ever read.
on December 10, 2004
I have listened to this book about three times. I think it takes that many times to really understand everything Dr. Chopra is talking about. I recently lost my father and listening to Dr. Chopra's insights into his fathers death and the secrets he learned about life was excellent. I highly recommend this book.
on October 27, 2004
Dear John,

I am aware of the fact that this is not a message board to discuss literature or our reviews, but I really feel the need to respond to your review.

It seems that your questions answer themselves...

1. If I am the world and the world is me - then when I see pain, suffering and evil in the world, am I seeing myself? MDC: Yes!

2. If my goal is to realize that I am one with the universe then should I strive to reform culture and fight for justice - or should I accept things as they are? MDC: You got it! It's no need to fight that what is part of you.

3. If I am truly free when I am not a person then is suicide a valid option? MDC: Valid, but unnecessary, when you are truly free there's no need to make such decision.

4. When someone offends me, should I seek to honestly communicate that to them, or should I recognize they are part of me and let it go? MDC: Road of least resistance: let go, what would you gain from that communication?

5. If my ultimate goal is to extinguish myself, then should I work on subduing my desires, dreams, and passions - or should I pursue those things?

MDC: When you are able to extinguish yourself it is no longer necessary to pursue, because this is when your desires, dreams and passions will finally be able to manifest themselves automatically.

6. What is the ultimate purpose and meaning in life if all is one? MDC: If all is one, there is not one ultimate purpose or meaning.

7. If evil is not my enemy then should I fight against it or should I embrace it?

MDC: What you fight will grow bigger, as evil is also a part of you, you better not fight it, but embrace it, accept it.

8. If I am in communion with the whole of life - why do I experience disappointment?

MDC: Disappointment means you had certain expectations, disappointment means you're judging a certain outcome. When you're in communion with life, results are just what they are, nothing more or less. When you don't expect, you can't be disappointed.

9. Is change real or imagined? MDC: Inevitable, it's nature; to me it's the only real thing in this universe!

10. Is there a difference between the renewed and the old - or are differences illusions? MDC: see my answer to question nr. 9, since changes are inevitable, what was old can renew and vise versa...