Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 13,482 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17,063 reviews
VINE VOICEon March 23, 2006
I am not going to tell the plot of this book yet again, Amazon and some other reviewers have done it quite well...I will tell you that this is an astounding book, a beautiful book, and a book that I know I will read again and again......

I read a lot, two to three books a week, my family makes fun that I "love" so many that I read...but in the past few years there have only been a handful of books that when I finish reading the book I sit and try to think of who I can send a copy to, who can I share this wonderful experience with. A book that when I finish, I want to go back to the beginning and start over.

I am a little sorry it is listed as a young adult book, I feel that if the bookstores put it in the young adult section, so many people will be missing out on a wonderful experience. Yet it is important that younger readers, high school readers, read this book too. When I was growing up, I remember reading Diary of Anne Frank, and the feelings I had when I read it...and understanding the importance of everyone reading that book. Well, this book is that important, this book is a must read.

I am going to go back and read this author's other book, I don't know how it can measure up to this one, but if it is half as good, I am in for a treat.
2727 comments| 1,370 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2017
I LOVED this book. We started listening to the audio version in the car before I bought the paperback. My son is an audio learner, so we are constantly looking for books to listen to. We had recently listened to another WW2 book told from a kid's perspective. This was recommended to us, but we were warned the content was much more mature than the first book, even though it is also focused on a "child". While that was true, it wasn't a bad thing. I really enjoyed the narrator for the audio book, and I am quite picky. I ended up buying the paperback because I couldn't stand to wait to see what happened since I only listened with my son in the car. I was enjoying it enough to think it was worth the purchase. I'm glad I bought it. It is "heavy" but I did fall in love with the characters and know I'll be revisiting it again and again. One thing that I found unique about this book was that it was told from the view of "death", or maybe a grim reaper...but it is not in any way fantasy. Looking back, I can't imagine it being told from any other perspective and I'm so glad the author seemed to realize that too.
on May 4, 2012
I was ambivalent about this book regardless of the positive reviews; however, I went ahead and placed a hold on it at my local library.

When I started reading 'The Book Thief' I felt a bit perplexed and felt maybe this book wasn't for me. After the first few pages I decided to put the book away and pick up the reading the following day. Instead of the following day, I continued a few hours later. I am glad I decided to continue reading and not return the book, because, `The Book Thief' is now one of my favorite books. And I have bought it to add to my collection.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer so I had to ponder a few times what the writer was trying to relay. In other words, the book will make you stop to think - it's not one of those books where `red' means `red'. You will find lots of similes and metaphors throughout the book.

The story of Liesel's life is beyond captivating and the writer made me feel as though I was actually there during her highs and lows. Liesel is charming, funny, witty and a young girl who's been through loss and abandonment but somehow managed to get beyond her early struggles.

The characters are all alive, with their own peculiar personalities; their different stories of life to tell. The characters are almost palpable and not one of them can be called boring.

The story of Liesel's life is narrated by Death - yes, `death', as in, the Grim Reaper. You'll find Death to be quite a comic, likable and almost human. With a very busy work schedule.

This book brings out various emotions and quite frankly, I cried when I read some aspects of the book. It was a very emotional read, some people may say depressing. However, it was worth reading.
on May 20, 2014
The biggest problem with this book is that once I started reading it, I did not want to put it down. I had seen the movie, but the book is so much richer. I pretty much read it in one sitting. I loved the historical detail. If Hitler was supposedly a man of the people, that did not include the decent people, those who bravely held on to their humanity. Having suffered terribly in and after the Great War, the decent poor were the hardest hit by Hitler's foray into armed conflict with most of the rest of the world. Death as the narrator was a brilliant device. It was one of the ideas that survived the movie making process for good reason. I completely recommend this book, but I warn you: clear your schedule.
on May 3, 2013
As an avid reader, I tend to avoid any fiction written after 1960. However a dear friend recommended this book out of the blue and I grudgingly agreed to read it. What a wonderful surprise! Even though it is considered a "youth" book (bit of slightly salty language), it is a well written and finely crafted story. The writer has taken a subject that has been covered quite extensively and chosen an approach to characters that is both novel and clever. (Both adjectives I find sadly lacking in modern literature). Keep the tissue box handy. Definitely worth a read. I couldn't put it down!
on January 5, 2014
I hate writing reviews because I never know what to write. I enjoyed the movie and decided to go ahead and read the book which was a good read. It wasn't no where near the best historical fiction I have read because the character development isn't that great. Lisa see and gail tsukitama r much better story tellers because at the end of their books u feel as if u have actually step back in time and witness the story as it was taken place. And once you close tsukitama's book u feel an emptiness because the story has ended and her characters have somehow becomw a part if you. This story at the end didn't do this for me although I would recommend this
on September 11, 2014
The Book Thief is a finely tuned tale of of a young girl in WWII-era Germany. The book is narrated by Death, who was very busy during the pre-war years, which only gets worse as Germany moves toward war and struggles through the war years. It provides an interesting view of the "poor" street of a small town - the unique characters and their struggles to survive with neighbors who both support and reject Hitler. The characters are vivd and well developed - including Death - and the story moves forward at a nice pace. One of the bet books I've read lately.
on November 26, 2013
A refreshing account of similar stories we know and have read. A horrible part of history enlightened with happy tales told by a very unique narrator throughout. It's great to read about the love and hope intertwined with such a horrific part of history. My only wish would have been for a slightly mire developed ending. The story built up great all throughout but ending came on too suddenly. That is probably only because I became so attached to the characters. Job well done. I will definitely read more by this inspiring author.
on November 28, 2015
I wish I had written this.

The angst, but not maudlin. The horror, but not hopeless. The sorrow with laughter in the middle.

And the prose. It read more like poetry. Symbolism everywhere.

And Death. The perfect narrator.

My parents both survived the concentration camps. The only thing I found distasteful was the author's use of the word "liberated". There was no liberation.

Liberation implies intent.

The freedom given the camp occupants was a by-product of the war clean-up.

Still, I am adding this YA author to my TBR list.
on January 4, 2014
The Book Thief was a book club selection which I thoroughly enjoyed. Some have said it was "dark" but I thought it was most probably exactly how things were in Germany during the war. I am of German decent so I have always had a fascination with the history of that era. I could hardly put this book down and somewhere near the middle of the book I knew (with great sadness) how it was likely to end. There were times when I was brought to tears but also there were times when I had to laugh out loud. Liesel and Rudy were quite a pair! Loved the book!