Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 155 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 228 reviews
on January 9, 2017
“Moral education—the training of heart and mind toward the good—involves many things. It involves rules and precepts—the do’s and don’ts of life with others—as well as explicit instruction, exhortation, and training. Moral education must provide training in good habits. Aristotle wrote that good habits formed at youth make all the difference.”
William J. Bennett, author of The Book of Virtues: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories

The premise of Bennett’s books is quite simple: “The purpose of this book is to show parents, teachers, students, and children what the virtues look like, what they are in practice, how to recognize them, and how they work.” (1)

To provide a moral compass for the young, Bennett utilizes stories from the Bible, American history, poems, fables, Greek myths, philosophy, fiction, and fairy tales to teach the virtues of self-discipline, compassion, responsibility, friendship, work, courage, perseverance, honesty, loyalty, and faith.
on July 5, 2016
I grew up reading this anthology of virtues as a child. Bennett pulled together a wonderful collections of stories and classic examples through which important morals are illustrated for the reader. This book made such an impression on me that I have bought copies for each of my nephews and neices so that they too can read and learn what it means to be a person of strong moral character.
on April 16, 2015
This book is a must have for all families to learn what is most important in life. This book teaches about the importance of responsibility, courage, compassion, loyalty, honesty, friendship, persistence, hard work, self-discipline, and faith. This book would be a valuable tool for parents to be able to answer all those most difficult questions that children tend to ask. It will help children develop a strong and moral character as they grow. This book has stories, commentaries and poems from some of the greatest classical authors of all time ranging from simple stories of philosophy from Aristotle and Plato to stories of Booker T. Washinton, and poems fro Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson and fables from Greek mythology and Aesop. These are some of the greatest works of literature.
on March 30, 2012
The collection of stories compiled and presented is a reasonable collection of very moral, long held historically representative, and significant teachings. The collection is a cross section from many incoming cultures to the Western World and the eventual melting-pot called america, but there are deep lessons and salient central truths upheld in all. A veritable strong hold in the field of "Self-Help" and also the basis for relationship between individuals, individual to groups, almost every role and responsibility receives representation and guidance.

Refer to the table of contents: Self-Discipline; Compassion; Responsibility; Friendship; Work; Courage; etc...Who, upon any reasonable self-encounter or introspection could not use a shot in the arm with such fundamental characteristics.

This compilation by Mr. Bennett is a gem made of gems, indeed a treasury overflowing and edited with careful considerations. Knowledge Worth far beyond the price. Sit down and have a fulfilling read, share with your best friends. Practice on some who are not so close today and see what great culminates from an exercise of good knowledge, and experience.

Daniel Grise -Dickinson, TX
on September 26, 2011
As we live with our rather small wallet in a rather small apartment, we are always trying to find ways to live minimal and frugal. A book such as this, which holds within its covers Aesop's Fables, historical documents, speeches by prominent historical figures, fairy tales, folk tales, and poems which are easy to memorize and a delight to hear your barely-three-year-old rattle off as she sings to herself in play...I can only encourage it further. We have it on the shelf by her bed, and each night she asks for a story from it. Last night was "The Frog Prince" from Hans Christian Anderson, and I can hear her re-enacting it with her figures in her room as I write this. I look at this book as a sort of springboard for further reading. If this-or-that author interests us, we make a library trip out of. I have delighted in reading the Edgar Guest poem collection, for example, and discovered a new appreciation of Ralph Waldo Emerson. In school, when we HAD to study him, I had no appreciation, of course. I was so ungrateful, hah.)
on April 22, 2016
This is a very valuable book for anyone. Its reputation stands by itself. I honestly wish adults would read this book. I do not see many of these virtues present in adults. I believe children should be taught them but I do not see how adults can grow up and be so absent from their lives. I am reading it by myself, apart from my children, and I still see areas I need to 'mature'
on May 25, 2017
This is a classic. I've loved this book for years. Getting it a gift now.
on October 31, 2015
I've read this book and consider it a classic and a great book for parents or grandparents or aunts and uncles to share with the young ones in their lives. It can be used as a story book to share with children or as something that a child can read themselves and learn valuable lessons about life. I have bought this book twice, once for a nephew and again for his daughter. I know she will love this book for a long time and she may even read it to her younger brothers until they are old enough to read it themselves.
on August 28, 2017
How can you practice virtue unless you know what it is. A great book to share with your children!!!
on March 26, 2015
Well written and stories my kids love listening to. We used this along with a curriculum for it online for our kids character study. My kids talk about the stories and make private jokes from them. I'd call that a win.