Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on April 8, 2007
Christopher Golden continues his great trilogy with The Borderkind. As someone who had never even heard of this author before buying The Myth Hunters (Book One), I have been pleasantly surprised. To be honest, I usually stick with Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc. But, I'm glad I picked up the first book because it has really been a joy to read. If you haven't read the first book, you can't skip it because you'd be lost, so read Myth Hunters first. If you have already read Myth Hunters....well, you are already reading this one I bet!
on July 24, 2011
** spoiler alert ** This series gets better as it goes along. The writing, I think, still leaves a lot to be desired. It's filled with cliches and is overly repetitive, continually summarizing and resummarizing the dire situation the characters find themselves in, describing and redescribing how Frost looks, and what is it with the "finger of dread" that pops up in every chapter. I've never felt a finger of dread in my life. Scared as hell, yeah, but no finger (thankfully).

That gripe out of the way, this story is worth it to watch the relationships develop between the characters, especially the pairs: Kitsune and Oliver on the one hand, and Julianna and Ted Halliwell on the other. The juxtaposition is a little overhanded and not very subtle, but still well done, and, while I was a critic of Oliver and Julianna's relationship and questioned the true extent of his feelings for her and the contrived nature by which he rediscovers them, I was actually really happy when they were reunited, while at the same time absolutely devastated for Kit, which is a wonderful sort of paradox to feel from a fantasy book.

The Atlantean conspiracy lacks real motivation I think, and Ty'Lis is not too impressive a bad guy. I though Sandman far more menacing and dark, and his brotherly battle with the Dustman is what fantasy epics are all about. I have a question for Golden though: do your main characters ever stand fight, or do they always just book it when trouble starts to brew? Just kidding. Actually, the battle scenarios and ensuing escapes kind of lends a feeling of enormity to the figures who are fighting. Like Frost and Kit are powerful and they do amazing things, but they're nowhere near the level of these other myths/legends.

My only request: More Nagas! (and Jaguar people, but to a lesser extent)
on April 10, 2009
I discovered this great new author and series quite by accident--picked up a copy of The Lost Ones and then realized it was the third book in a series. Reading the blurb on the back got me intrigued, so I ordered the first two books from Amazon. BorderKind is the second in the series, and continues the story of a man and woman trapped on the other side of the Veil--the magical barrier between our mundane world and the world of Legends and Magical Beings. There they encounter such notables as Jack Frost (who does quite a bit more than nip at their toes), Jenny Greenteeth, a Japanese foxwoman, and just about every legend or fairy-tale creature you have ever heard of in your bedtime stories. Christopher Golden weaves a great tale that is far less predictable than it might seem. Well worth the read!
on April 1, 2007
I just finished The Borderkind. It was definately a great followup in the veil trilogy. I cant wait for the final chapter to see how everything turns out. Theres some great battles, new scary enemies. The only real criticism I have, is that I hate cliff-hanger endings. Unfortunately, you kind of need one in the middle of a trilogy.
on February 14, 2014
Christopher Golden never fails to put out a good novel and this one is no exception. It keeps you reading from beginning to end. Thanks again for an entertaining book.
on May 3, 2015
Christopher Golden does an excellent job in creating a beleivable world & believable charaters. You will never look at Jack Frost the same way again.
on May 28, 2007
I greatly enjoyed the "Myth Hunters" much to my surprise, and this is a fairly decent follow up. But it sort of left me with that middle of trilogy feeling. Will be looking forward to the final book, but didn't like it as much as the first one. Am also looking forward the author's "Baltimore".