Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

91%

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11 reviews
on September 16, 2011
Champian Fulton is a delight.Her cd "The Breeze And I" is a gem. I can add this to my growing collection of new jazz singers who thrill & excite me.This is a gal who hopefully will get more exposure & gain the national recognition that she deserves.She really brings a fresh approach to song & her piano playing is solefull & she can swing as well.This album is a really nice mix of vocals and instrumentals.
A little backround is in order.Champian is from a musical family & grew up listening to jazz.She was especailly influenced by a number of piano greats to include Art Tatum,Wynton Kelly,Red Garland & Sonny Clark.She was also taken with Nat Cole both as a vocalist & pianist.In 2003 she entered a program at SUNY Purchase Music Conservatory in jazz piano & performance graduating in 2006.Champian has performed with jazz greats Frank Wess,Jimmy Cobb & Lou Donaldson.
About the music.This gal has a nice touch on piano & does a great job especially on "Land's End","The Breeze & I" & "My Heart Stood Still". I really like her vocals on "Say It Isn't So, "I'm Confessin" & "If I Had You". The two tunes that totally got to me are pieces that you just don't hear done very often. I keep going back to them. "I'm Gonna Lock My Heart And Throw Away The Key" and "I Can't Face The Music".
One element of this purchase that was disappointing has to do with the packaging of the cd.The photos on front & back are really quite nice,however the cd arrives in a flimsy sleeve.There are no liner notes so the uninitiated have no information about Champian.What was really surprising to me is that the other members of her trio are not listed anywhere on jacket.They are by the way Neal Miner on bass & Fukushi Tainaka on drums.
Heres hoping that we hear more from this rising star & by all means grab this one.
on April 6, 2012
Wow! a wonderful combination of vocal and piano. Her piano skills remind me very much of Marian McPartland. Her vocals are jazzy and snappy and she can really swing (a favorite track is "The One I Love Belongs to Sombody Else"). She captures a real sultriness on "Say It Isn't So". Her piano skills really shine on "The Breeze and I". A true "keeper" of an album!
on March 9, 2011
This CD is one of the best that I have in my collection. Ms. Fulton has the voice, the looks and grace. I have played this cd over and over and each time you will hear something new and interesting. The band is fantastic and they back her up with perfect time and all the notes are right where she would want them.
on October 1, 2011
Champian Fulton is an exciting pianist as well as a vocalist. She is backed by a fine rhythm section and
the drummer has many opportunities to strut his stuff. Only problem is CD does not list the names of
accompanists.
on April 8, 2012
Ms. Fulton's talent is tremendous. Her skill as a pianist is unbelievable. A classic voice, and a oh-so-smooth delivery make this disc a joy to listen to. Rarely does a recording do justice to the 'live' performer, or vice versa. Enjoy!
on March 9, 2011
I saw her perform live and she was just spectacular! Her voice is melodic and what she does with the keys on the piano is nothing short of incredible. If you ever get a chance to, definitely see her live but if you can't, get her CD and invite her to your living room for awesome evening ambiance.
on May 20, 2011
Joining the ranks of fine young singers like Karin Allyson and Roberta Gambarini is Ms Fulton, a pianist-singer destined to achieve recognition and, one hopes, success. My reservations regarding this CD have to do with the sound, which is far-from-good, which may be the result of serious under-packaging, which also regrettably means the absence of any notes, biography, etc.