Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(2 star). See all 446 reviews
on December 30, 2014
Love the Lego idea. Not so thrilled with how some of the Bible stories are depicted. I would not rely on this for reliable translation of God's Word.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 1, 2013
I thought this would have some instructions on building things, but that's my mistake. I gave it 2 stars because the pictures are nice and it's fun to see what people have done with legos. I took off 1 star because no instructions, and 2 star because it is wildly inaccurate. you think Hollywood takes liberties with the bible? nothing like this! I wanted to use it to show my grandchildren for the bible stories, but would have felt compelled to remove several pages so I wouldn't be giving them misinformation. so instead, I returned it and decided we can build our own bible stories with legos. not as awesome looking but much more instructive and accurate.
on September 1, 2014
People will praise the Brick Bible for containing the whole Bible, but that is not entirely true.

The Book for example does not show Jesus handing the care of His mother over to the Beloved Disciple, nor the entrusting of St. John to the Virgin Mary. This is an important and touching scene, yet it is absent from the book.

However the book does, for no apparent reason, mention minor but strange passages such as the man whose clothes fall off as he runs away at Jesus' arrest.

People will also make a comment on the graphic depictions of sex and violence. Now while it is true that these are stores found in the Bible, there seems to be too much of an emphasis on them and often negative interpretations not present in the text are assumed. For example, when Christ tells His followers to turn the other cheek and love their enemies, the book depicts a man being savagely beaten and abused. This of course is not the historical understanding of the passage.

Ultimately, the book does seek to portray the Bible and at times does so well, however it's focus is often wrong, and irreverent.
on January 31, 2012
"I have been inspired to do this for one reason: people should really know what's in the Bible." The author is right that people really should know the Bible and so many don't. While I applaud the author's ambition and creativity, I don't believe his representation of God is true. (Why does he use a Lego character with perpetually angry eyebrows?) I also question the author's motives. After reading some of his blog then rereading the introduction, it just doesn't jive: "My goal is to present the Bible's content in a new, engaging, and fun way, and yet also to remain faithful to the way the Bible itself tells these stories." Engaging?--Yes. Faithful?--Not really. It's easy to ride the coattails of Lego's ingenious and massive marketing campaign to sell one's own product. Boys everywhere love Lego and therefore are attracted to ANYTHING having to do with those little bricks. Sadly, I don't feel the author has faithfully represented the Old Testament and definitely not the God of the Bible. Is there going to be a New Testament? Just curious. It's the same God who loved the world and had His own Son killed in the name of that love. Hmmm....what does He look like now? Anyway, Christian parents will not want this to be their child's only exposure to the Bible. Actually reading the text of the Bible in context is best. But if you're wanting something that represents God as "mad ol' Dad," waiting to kill you and take away your fun, then this is the one for you.
1111 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 22, 2013
I purchased this book for my kids as a gift. A week later, it was resident in the kids' toy box, opened only once. Later, a Mr. Potato Head happened to read it and dedicated his life to Lego God. As he shared his new spirituality and purpose in toy life with his mates, many others decided to follow him and soon he had a small congregation of toy worshipers,
Now, the toy box is no place to worship the Lego God, so the toys took to appropriating bigger and bigger spaces. This took the Star Wars figures by surprise, as they had lived under the mandated worship of an absent Lord Vader (long placed on my bookshelf). Their religion was fierce, and a lack of faith found disturbing (and often fatal). Most of the practitioners, however, thought it kind of "hokey" and only observed on holidays. With the expansion of the Holy Lego Empire, a Holy Lego War began -- a righteous crusade of conversion- by the Rev. Potato against the Bishop Boba Fett. Much destruction ensued, and both sides warped their faith into more and more extreme , militant versions. The Rev. Potato worked tirelessly among the GI Joes to convince them that their army was founded on Lego Principles and worked to ensure the Prince and Princess dolls were aware that their rule was by Divine Mandate. The Bishop Fett had vast numbers, as the plastic army horde were commanded by ancient mandate from Lord Vader himself -- he even pointed out the spot Vader had held in the room (before I snatched him up for my bookshelf), but this was contested as the original point of Lego Construction. Wars were fought. Toy blood was spilled. Barbies were forced into submission and servitude. Eventually, an uneasy truce was struck, but peace was never fully embraced, only an uneasy detente..
PROS: This book has a pretty, shiny cover. There are some naughty bits, and censored Legos are hilarious.
CONS: This book will ruin a virtual "garden of bliss" the toys were enjoying. Change will go missing as they pass the plate.
on August 9, 2014
Not completely accurate with the Bible.
on November 22, 2013
I don't think this book is appropriate for children. But then, neither is the Bible it is based upon. The horrors depicted in the Old Testament are not suitable for children and the worst of the cruel acts is carried out by "God." Yes, I have read the Bible cover to cover and I am an agnostic. But I care about children so I am not going to recommend the Brick Bible for kids. I might get a copy for myself because it sounds very well done, but I would never show it to my grandkids.
on April 19, 2013
On one hand, it's hilarious to see Lego-rendered versions of all these Old Testament stories. What blocks did they pick? What does this character look like? The creation story! The flood! Etc!

On the other hand, the book focuses on the most violent and sensationalistic aspects of the stories it can and the results are pretty grim. I didn't feel comfortable showing these to my kids when all was said and done. This guy kills that guy. Terrible stuff is done over here. etc etc.

I know the stories are pretty rough. The hard truth is that the OT is full of jerks just like us. "Bible Heroes" they often aren't.

The flip side however is that some of the most important tales and concepts are glossed over. It comes off as basically a hit-job on the OT, not a completely objective reading.

Compared to Crumb's "Genesis", this just kind of sucks. That it's LEGOs just makes that feeling worse because LEGOs rule.

Sigh.
on May 13, 2013
This Bible is NOT FOR CHILDREN! My son received this for First Communion from his grandmother because he loves Legos. He is 8 years old. It soon became apparent that it is not appropriate. Unless you want to answer questions about concubines, rape, prostitution, circumcision, childbirth and sex and for your child to see violent Bible scenes reenacted out in Legos, I would not recommend it. This would be great for teens and adults.