Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on December 31, 2011
I am a huge musical theatre fan who collects cast albums, reads books on the subject, watches the Tonys every year, and tries to catch every Broadway tour that comes my way. I've seen shows in NY, London, and even seen shows in foreign languages in other countries. (The German production of Wicked was truly spectacular.) I merely state this to establish some credibility before I give my reasons for disliking this book:

The questions are too difficult to make these quizzes fun. The author writes in the beginning that she tried to make it interesting for hardcore fans like myself as well as casual fans. If this is true, I'm surprised she didn't categorize the quizzes by difficulty level and gives us quizzes ranging from very easy to very hard rather than a whole book of quizzes that only fit in the latter category. As it stands, I could only answer about one in every seven questions. Thus, I can't imagine a casual musical theatre fan getting much enjoyment from this book. Of course, not knowing a question prompts you to look up the answer and learn something new, which is exciting, but not all the information is correct. I reached the "Typically English" quiz covering British shows, only the fourth quiz in the book, and I already ran across a mistake* and a pretty obvious one at that. This leads me to question the validity of other information contained in this book.

Overall, I love the idea of this book. I just think it could have been a touch easier and researched better while still being fun and interesting to ALL those who appreciate musical theatre.

*In the answers section for the "Typically English" quiz (under #10, pg. 199), the author states that Lauri Peters (and the children) from The Sound of Music lost the Best Featured Actress Tony to Sandra Church from Gypsy. She/they actually lost to their costar in The Sound of Music, Patricia Neway.
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2011
"The Broaedway Musical Quiz Book" is by no means for the layman. I've worked in musical theatre for thirty years and huge chunks of this book left my forehead crinkled and my mind saying, "What the-" The only sequence in which I got them all correct was on Stephen Sondheim, but then there is no one alive other than Sondheim himself who could tell you more.(Maybe not even him; we rarely follow our own lives with the same scruntiny as others do.)

However this book is a lot of fun. I picture a dorm room full of theatre majors playing with the book; I picture teachers looking for extra credit questions. I also can see how this book is useful in looking at the history of Aerican Musical Theatre. I can see the book spending a summer on the porch or a winter in the bathroom.

If you're a fan who lovedf "Cats" and "Phantom" but can't say who wrote the lyrics and book for those two shows, save your money and buy a Sarah Brightman DVD. If you're smarter than that and have a sincere interest in American Musical Theatre, you could do a lot worse.

I do wonder, however, how the author would have done on this before her hunt for information.
on October 25, 2016
This is an excellent book of trivia. But, you better really know musicals if you hope to answer these quizzes. These are very difficult. Many of the shows are old, seldom seen, and obscure. Plus the questions ask for minute details that many of you probably missed when seeing the show. Luckily, the answers along with more detailed information can be found in the back of the book.
on September 2, 2014
I have two other friends who like myself are major musical theater buffs and hard to buy gifts for, but this was perfect. I ended up buying three copies in all. Some of the questions were harder than either of could answer. Great content, condition and prompt shipping.
on August 1, 2015
Not for casual theatre-goers! This book is hard! But I am learning lots of great facts and trivia. For diehard musical lovers!
on September 15, 2016
Great book!
on April 12, 2017
Wonderful reading
on July 25, 2015
Good trivia book for Broadway buffs. Nice selection on songwriters and a few stars. The literary quiz is the hardest (and it omitted several authors like Gaston Leroux- only one major work but several productions) Would like to see a second volume with more serious themes like Jews on Broadway, the influence on gays, shows popular in the West End and other venues, etc.)
on February 18, 2017
Lots of fun for any broadway "nerd"!
on January 30, 2014
I always considered myself to be somewhat knowledgeable of American Theater - I have been to more Broadways musicals and plays than I can count. Maybe it's my age, but I soon found out what I did not know. My husband and I like to challenge each other with trivia games especially when we are "relaxing" and while I could not answer correctly as much as I would have liked, I was not put off but intrigued by the wealth of information I now have.