Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on January 20, 2010
Are you the type of viewer who is easily put off by plot holes and ambiguity in a horror film? If so, you might find THE BROKEN more frustrating than enjoyable. however, it has so much going for it. Some truly creepy scenes, some incredibly well-done nail-biting suspense sequences, exquisite yet not overly-showy cinematography, highly effective use of locations, nerve-wracking subversion of the everyday into the macabre, and solid if not outstanding performances. I found myself somewhat frustrated with the lack of at least a little explaantion of what was going on, especially towards the end. THE SIXTH SENSE this is not, folks. Resolutions are far from neat. Also, the paranoia could have been mined and focused further. However, for something unusual which still pays off in the gore-n-violence department, this is definately worth a look. At times, it even comes close to echoing the "no one believes her" chills of the original STEPFORD WIVES, ROSEMARY'S BABY and the 70'S version of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. (though, having said that, I think there were one or two obvious swipes/homages too many.
on December 15, 2010
As a fan of Sean Ellis' 2006 film Cashback, I was most interested in checking out his take on the horror genre. The Broken goes with an unsettling, psychological paranoia, rather than your typical American slasher. I won't bother going over the plot, as other reviews surely do; having read other reviews of this flick left me with questions about what they expected from it. Many complained about the lack of explanation for the bizarre doppelgänger effect going around the protagonist's life, when the main point of psychological thrillers is what isn't explained. That's what makes the experience so unsettling. And anyway, if they've seen Sean Ellis' work, before, they might know that it's his style to blur the line between reality and imaginative fantasy (or in this case, lethal paranoia). I'm a little disappointed in the lack of special features, but that's not at all surprising, considering how few even know about this film.

Good film. Shipped well; shipped quickly.
on September 12, 2017
Greqt horror!
on March 9, 2013
I went into this with some doubts about the quality and story. I know that Ebert didnt review which is usually a watermark for me. I found the film curious & puzzling. I don't know why but in someway it reminded me of Melancholia. As a psychotherapist I've always been interested in dopplegangers or the clinical word, autoscopy. Early in my education I read the Menninger papers on the topic. The movie is dead on a contagion of autoscopy with all the creepy scenarios. The lead actress i beautiful and icy. I really enjoyed this film, however can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. The pace is slow and contemplative. There are only a couple true horror scenes, but for someone who is patient and into nuance it rates top-notch.
on April 23, 2011
Yes, i am absolutely crazy in love with Lena Headey, and only watched this movie because i watch every movie with her in it. She is a female warrior on the level of Ellen Ripley. That being said, there are at least three scenes in this movie that are among the scariest i have ever seen in any movie, and i spend more time than i care to admit watching atmospheric thrillers and horror. Moreover, i had to watch it twice to be certain i understood what happened. No movie is worth a damn if you don't want or need to watch it more than once.
on February 20, 2013
I had originally rented this movie from Netflix because I like weird thrillers sometimes. However, I'm not a fan of horror.

This one borders more on horror than thriller and frankly, left me scared of mirrors late at night for a while. ;)

I later bought the DVD from amazon and gave it to my brother for his birthday because he likes that kind of stuff ;)
on September 16, 2010
The Man Who Haunted Himself
starring Roger Moore.

other than having the "William Wilson" Poe story in common,
this movie is almost a remake.

The Man Who Haunted Himself.

One of my favorite films...
I think I remember Jarvis Cocker loving it as well...

if you like this movie... you should look into this movie:
The Man Who Haunted Himself
Permalink: [...]
on July 6, 2011
This is a great horror movie, very creepy, with some surprises too, Lena Heady is great as always,this is a very haunting type of movie, leaves you feeling a bit creeped out even after its over,I saw this free on a site, but I loved it so much I had to buy it, and I paid so little for it, it was well worth it, and more!
on December 20, 2015
Strange and wonderful.
on April 30, 2009
Fantastic cover, this is what got me to buy it as well as a pretty good review in Fangoria. However it may be very slow but the story is compelling and I love mystery, you don't know what is really going on until the end, its scary too.