Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
VINE VOICEon December 9, 2012
I found this book on my sister's cookbook shelf last Christmas, and, after a quick look-through, decided I had to have it. (I bought it right away (joys of the Internet).
I am a raw vegan, however there were enough recipes here that I could use to make it worthwhile to own. All of the recipes are health conscious, using fresh ingredients with a minimum of sugar and/or salt.
I am so enamored of this book and the recipes in it that, when I heard that my niece had just gotten her own apartment and was interested in cookbooks with healthy recipes, this was my immediate thought.
I anyone ever asks me for a cookbook with "nouveau South" *healthy" recipes, this is the name that will spout from my mouth unprompted. (If I ever decide that I want to eat something that is not raw vegan, I will probably choose a recipe from this book)
I love this cookbook.
on December 7, 2010
I am a northerner with little experience with true southern cooking. I bought this cookbook after checking it out from the library and flagging at least half a dozen recipes to try. Everything I've made has been terrific, with unusual combinations of ingredients and clear instructions. Favorites have been the pork chops with mushroom chutney, buttermilk pudding cakes, roasted zucchini with pecans and lemon, and soybean and tomato salad with buttermilk dressing. I suppose some of these might be considered south-inspired rather than truly southern, but I think the Lee brothers are pretty up-front about their approach. Bottom line is it's become a mainstay in my kitchen and has introduced me to some ingredients (collard greens, buttermilk) that I hadn't used often before.
on July 20, 2017
Very nice book. Lot's of recipes I will try cooking and they look healthy. I learned a new way to cook a chicken in an over and the results (high temp, breast side down) were excellent. Will always try and use this method.
on March 24, 2016
Great ideas for using fresh ingredients in classic Southern ways.
The Lee Bros. show enormous flair and creativity.
The dishes are gorgeous and taste wonderful.
As always -- YUM!
on April 15, 2010
I bought the book after watching a Bobby Flay throw down with the Lee brothers. I was intrigued by the simplicity of the cooking and the taste that it produced. Great book, easy to follow. I consider it a Southern "Light" cooking style as all of the recipes produced heart healthy food compared to ore traditional Southern cooking.
on March 23, 2016
Lovely cookbook and fun to peruse. Reminds me of the few years I lived in the old south. The recipes are not complicated, but attention is still paid to eating and serving experience - like cutting the fruit small in a fruit salad. And, unsurprising fly, the spirits abound.
on August 26, 2015
I expected more Southern recipes. Guess they've lived in New York too long.
on May 16, 2016
Tried many of the recipes and they're all fantastic. Love reading about the Charleston spots they grew up in. Great background information and highlights. Dont miss the Four Pepper Collard Greens!!!
on May 22, 2016
This is a collection of tasty southern foods. Access to a nice garden is helpful. ....a good grocer will do. The Lee's approach is simple with delightful results.
on April 8, 2014
This is my 3rd Lee Brothers cookbook. The recipes are easy to follow, ingredients mostly available and the results are lovely. It's fun to read too. Only recipe that I didn't care for was Radish Butter... This one didn't work for me. Maybe the radishes weren't really good radishes. Overall. A very good book ata very nice price!