Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Bum Magnet
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on September 11, 2009
By the description of this book I had a good feeling that it would be a bit smarter and more entertaining than most chick-lit, but I still couldn't shake the chick-lit stigma I was putting on it. Upon actually reading the book I found I was right and very wrong. The book wasn't just smart and entertaining, but it also surpassed the genre of chick-lit.

The main character is nothing like me; our ages are distant, our economic status is distant (she's a professional and I'm...not), she is jaded when it comes to love and I am still young enough to be socially acceptably naive about it. That's the short list and still I could relate so much to Charisse. As a woman, in her wants and needs and dedication to her loved ones, and as a person in the same respects. The character was so well defined and three dimensional that even though I had NOTHING in common with her, I could constantly put myself in her place, making the book more interactive than just passive.

What I loved most about the evolution and character of Charisse's life, and the men in it, were that you were shown the good and the bad in the same stark and truthful light. Charisse wasn't perfect, the men she dated weren't perfect, and even those who you felt so disgusted by at times had their good sides. You still could understand how Charisse would and could form relationships with them.

Without spoiling anything, I'll simply say the man she finally ended up with was GREAT. Again, realistic but still a great leading man. One I don't walk away from the story thinking `it wouldn't actually last'. It was perfect. It was sweet. It was sigh worthy.

On a final (and IMPORTANT) note, the tone of the book was overall upbeat in what seemed like a dismal life from time to time. This made the humor easy and flawless. There were a lot of times that I laughed out loud and that last scene will remain one of my favorites for a long time.
on July 26, 2012
Years ago this kind of book was my favorite and then I started to enjoy other genres. When my friend recommended this book I was hesitant to read it since the genre is over saturated with writers with little to no talent. All that being said, I loved this book, because of the humor derived from Charisse's pessimistic and sometimes flippant attitude. In almost every chapter I hit on some part of the story that made me laugh out loud. There were formatting issues in the Kindle for Android format but not on my Kindle. Charisse might be hard to identify with since she continuously sought out "bums" and ignored her own intuition but her character was believable. For any woman who has had her share of dating woes or had a good friend with dating woes, this one is for you.
on August 12, 2010
I enjoyed the free Kindle sample of this book, so I bought the whole book. I read it, and enjoyed it, but I was a bit disconcerted by the language and the main character's single-mindedness about sex and men. This book was written by a black author, and all characters are black - I am white - and the language and alternate culture shown in the book took me a bit by surprise. If you don't like raw language (no swearing, just 'street' language) you might want to pass on this.

On the positive side, this was an excellent portrayal of a successful 40-ish woman with emotional baggage that was keeping her from being all she could be. She fell into toxic relationship after toxic relationship, blaming the guys for being 'bums' without understanding how her own baggage made her pick men that were only going to reinforce her existing gender stereotypes. The book is the story of her coming to terms with her past and her baggage (and dumping a lot of it), and meeting 'Mr. Right' in the process. Just about any woman, of any background, would be able to relate to her, though I agree with another reviewer who said that she was frustrating at times.
on February 16, 2012
Overall this book was a good quick read. I could see myself in Charisse so much. Not that I may have always attracted bums, but I definitely had myself guarded so that I was ready for the hurt before I could get hurt.

Charisse has been attracting bums her whole life. The lying cheating kind, not the ones on the street. As a real estate agent it's easy for her to meet good looking men all the time, but quality isn't really there. When she finally is able to let go of events in her past, she is able to demagnitize herself and find "The One" she has been looking for all along.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes quick reads with a strong female lead
on November 6, 2011
There were just so many things that happened to Charisse that a woman who is written as so intelligent, wouldnt seem to continue making the same mistakes in choosing men over and over again, the title of the book certainly fits because every man she was with was certainly a bum. Charisse was so smart but so dumb at the same time. She saw the writing on the wall with all of her men, but stayed involved with them despite the truth being right in her face. The story was interesting and kept me entertained, but at times I just could not relate to the stupidity of this 39-40 year old woman. I am intrigued enough though to want to read he sequel to see how her life turns out.
on July 31, 2016
Self sabotage is real. You spend so much time trying to deflect and wait for the foot to drop that it's the most toxic thing ever. That is what you have with Rissey. When you think of baggage her name in imprinted. One element you have to love is Nisey. She is a true ride or die friend, flaws and all. Kevin was the full circle. Ultimate protector, just what one needs to see that goodness does exist. Simple tell of life, choices, mistakes, and love. It can be a tangled web.
on February 10, 2013
Have you ever wondered why you attract a certain type of guy over and over. Is this guy deceitful, a cheater, an emotion toyer? Well, maybe you're a bum magnet. K.L. Brady has written an exciting, funny, witty novel about the pitfalls of dating and expectations. Charisse Tyson is a highly successful real estate agent who after some research through a magazine article finds out that she is a bum magnet. Through journal entries, we get a glimpse of her past dating life and the type of men that she has encountered. The end all comes when she meets a bum so low he opens the door for true love. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The only complaint I can possibly give is that at the beginning there seemed to be an overuse of metaphors, but they did not take away from the concept of the story. If you are unlucky in love and find yourself being attracted to the no-good, low down, lying, scheming, manipulative bum, then this book is definitely for you!
on August 14, 2015
The story was OK. I could really visualize much of this book as I, too, live in the DC area and have been to some of the places the author talked about. I was a little put off by the speed at which the main character seemed to hop in bed with a stranger and I was again a bit disappointed in the story ending of who her guy ended up being to her years earlier.
on August 22, 2016
I thought this book was going to be a humorous novel, but it was a serious novel about the trials a woman can go through if she does not trust her basic instincts about men. I could not put it done until I finished it because I was so anxious about the outcome.
on August 31, 2015
This was such a cute story. First of all the cover was an eye catcher you couldn't just by pass the book without stopping to see what it is about. The cover was a brilliant idea, so I read the book not sure of what toe expect but it got my attention from beginning to end. Great job!