Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Burning Plain
Format: DVD|Change

on October 20, 2015
Burning plain is the story of Sylvia who, despite being a successful restaurant owner, cannot find peace and tranquility in her personal life. In the beginning we see her engaging in alcohol driven promiscuous sex as the story unfolds from different perspectives and on several timelines. All characters seem to be living in emotional pain. Especially Theron and Basinger act superbly mainly through facial expression and body language. Although the story is not new--under-appreciated housewife and cancer survivor meets compassionate man and starts a secretive affair--,the unfolding of the story fractured by different timelines and perspectives adds an interesting twist that keeps the viewer engaged. The feelings, the pain, are palpable throughout the movie and pull the viewer into the sad story. I disagree with some comments that the film sympathizes with the poor Mexicans and portrays the white family as evil. The reactions of both families seem fairly realistic. Both are prejudiced against the other group but they deal with the tragedy in a different fashion. Each family blames the other party and expresses hostility, especially when the young people are found out to be lovers. Burning Plain is so great because it shows that the impulsive action of one person (Mariana) has lifelong catastrophic consequences from which none can really recover. Despite its depressing nature, the end of the film gives the viewer a ray of hope and the possibility of healing for a woman's deeply painful past.
on May 24, 2015
I would suggest you read most of Meah True's review. I can't write a review like that. And I think I'm okay with that. That being said, that is "dead on". The description of the movie of the characters and what to, and what not to expect. I know I'm being lazy. But I really would say all of that. I'll try to paraphrase. This movie is exceptional drama to me, because, it is exceptional drama. Acted well, by very good actors. How else do you say that (Except to read Meah True's review, ha!) Seriously it's intense. Its filled with passion and angst, and confusion (character confusion, not audience confusion), love, hurt, jealousy, honor, fear, and an unfortunate character with a lifelong hurt, that you don't know how you could ever overcome. I left the movie, still feeling sad for that character, whom I didn't want to see burdened for a life, but in reality, they would be and it was sad. But very intense. And yes, like True stated at the beginning you were left flopping back and forth with now and then, and not quite sure who, what or why, but once, it becomes obvious, it makes sense, and it's easy to follow. So, disclaimer here, when you start watching, know that you are bouncing back and forth between then and now, and it will probably calm that angst of, "wait, what?" You have to like this kind of heart and mind drama. It's deep and it's acted well. Very well. And outside of a trailer blowing up, the "action pack" isn't there. I wasn't looking for it, so I didn't miss it. I watched it for what it was and was rewarded with a great acted, and directed drama. I stayed with the four stars and not five, as I wished the beginning made a little more sense to me. I had to start over a couple of times because I thought missed something. But when I got, it was awesome. Not a waste of time. A well acted and played out drama. I liked it.
on October 10, 2015
Perhaps the title should be "Burning Pain." The scars are real and painful. They are apparent from the start, but it takes most of the film, unfolding out of sequence, to track down their root. For the mother, the scars are the physical remnants of the cancer that devastated her self-esteem and, it seems, her marriage; for the daughter the scars are psychological result of her role in her mother's death (scars that are mirrored in her later self-inflicted physical scar); for the daughter's daughter the scars are from a mother who rejects her. As scars they can't go away, but their effects can be mitigated by people who love them as they are--but not by a love that is not rooted in understanding. Indeed, it is the characters scars that bring them together. A nice artistic touch is the way that the repeated scene of the burning trailer is evoked by characters smoking cigarettes and by the flames that cause the intentional scars. The acting is excellent, as is the photography. All in all a terrific film.
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2012
This one caught me off guard. I was expecting a sexy, B-movie with a out of sync story line that came together at the end. What a wonderful surprise. I could not pull away.

I was drawn in by the character development, the young and the old, the almost unnatural love-affairs. But, having been in one of those for my lifetime where I cannot get enough time together and always thinking and wanting more but unable to relieve the tensions until you are ready to explode . . . yes, it is haunting and wonderful because I have experienced it with a loving and wonderful wife for many decades.

It has a few weak areas, like where the trailer explodes and the young girl just didn't see it coming until it was upon her. A little more developed plot, a more interesting missing detail I think.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It held me in its web of why things happen, what can happen if you aren't more careful and the passion that climbs on for the ride over and over again.
on April 24, 2017
I really like this movie mostly because it has a very interesting storyline. I'm glad it's part of my collection now.
on October 28, 2013
I didn't know what to expect with this movie, but was inspired to view it based on the starring cast, Charlize Theron, Kim Basinger, and Jennifer Lawrence. And being a fan of previous directorial works of Guillermo Arriaga was also a deciding factor. I thought the movie was somber and melancholic, but, surprisingly, that's what was most intriguing about the story to me. I liked that the acting was understated and borne from a sense of anguish, frustration, and guilt, especially from Kim and Charlize. And Jennifer added the proper balance of youthful rage and rebellion to give the movie an element of subtle intrigue.But, the acting by all three primary females stars was exceptional, as has come to be expected from either of the them, I enjoyed the movie for what i imagined the director conceptulized. I'd recommend it!
on September 7, 2017
Excellent with twists and turns..
on September 30, 2017
Waste of some fine talent.
on February 24, 2014
This movie is wonderful! Charlize Theron Jennifer Lawrence, and Kim Basinger are all amazing! Their acting performances are flawless and they portray their characters brilliantly! The story line is very good and hits you close to the heart in so many areas and it's interesting to see all the pieces of it fit together throughout the film! I think everyone should see this movie!
on October 22, 2015
I saw this title while browsing Amazon Prime and decided to watch it since it was going off Prime in a week and it had 3 actresses I admire. It was better than I expected and left me thinking about how choices we make often come back to haunt us later. Jennifer Lawrence was just 18 when she made this movie, and yet the viewer instantly knows she has everything it takes to be a star for a long time.